Morgan Freeman: Tea Party Is Racist, They're Out To Get Obama!

Options
JadaRoss
JadaRoss Members Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
the racism of the GOP is overwhelming

even bush didnt get this much hate

r-MORGAN-FREEMAN-large570.jpg

Morgan Freeman laid down the chips on the Tea Party in a new interview with Piers Morgan that is due to air Friday night.

The Oscar-winning actor sat down with the British TV host and, amongst other things, discussed his belief that the right wing Tea Party's anti-Obama stance is rooted in racism.

When asked by Morgan whether Obama's presidency has made racism in the United States better or worse, Freeman, who once played apartheid-defying South African president Nelson Mandela, frankly stated that his time in office has made it worse, as he has become a target of the right's aggression.

"Their stated policy, publicly stated, is to do whatever it takes to see to it that Obama only serves one term," the actor said. "What’s, what does that, what underlines that? 'Screw the country. We’re going to whatever we do to get this black man, we can, we’re going to do whatever we can to get this black man outta here.'"

Declaring once again that "it's a racist thing," Freeman said the group's rise has shown the hate still lingering in America.

"Well, it just shows the weak, dark, underside of America," he said. "We’re supposed to be better than that. We really are. That’s, that’s why all those people were in tears when Obama was elected president. “Ah, look at what we are. Look at how, this is America.” You know? And then it just sort of started turning because these people surfaced like stirring up muddy water."

The actor continued, saying that he understood President Obama not fighting back, seeking to stick to his principles, but wishes that he'd be more aggressive now.

Freeman endorsed Obama during his run for the presidency, but declined to campaign with him, saying that he was an actor, not a politician. He attended a White House Civil Rights concert in 2010.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/23/morgan-freeman-tea-party-racist_n_978123.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1570004,b=facebook

Comments

• fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    LOL. Morgan Freeman is on CNN, saying he is "? ".
  • Generic
    Generic Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    LOL. Morgan Freeman is on CNN, saying he is "? ".

videoclip of this statement? LOL
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't disagree with Freeman, but I do think that it is too simplistic to paint the teaparty as a homogenous group. It has always been at least a three headed monster: libertarians, new world order types, and racist republicans... and really I think it is bigger even than that.

Also, I will never understand why people act like the Republicans/teabaggers are somehow out of line for wanting to prevent the Dem president from getting reelected, that's what the opposition party is supposed to do. If anything libs and Dems should be getting on Obama for being so naive as to think that he can win over the political opposition, and/or for implementing austerity-type policies that hurt the economy and as such hurt him politically.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    its not about them being "out of line"...
    its about their racially motivated hatred of the president and their irrational ideology being unproductive...
    you're not supposed to oppose the other party to the point that your values are detrimental to the COUNTRY...

I hear what you're saying, but I think that narrative about the teaparty being racially motivated and irrational ideologically is too simplistic, it is sort of a strawman. Race is a component, but like I said in my last post the teaparty is not a singular, homogenous group and not all of their ideologies are derived from racism or are irrational. As I recall they got off the ground by opposing the too-big-to-fail policy, and I oppose that too and think it is going to have disastrous ramifications, in fact I think for a non bank executive to support that policy is pretty irrational.

And the ideologues among them would say that obama's approach is detrimental to the COUNTRY (see heyslick post above), so while that argument may have legs in circles of Democrats I think it falls flat when you try to understand how a lot of teapartiers think. That said, for the political strategists in the Republican party the consensus does seem to be that any policy that improves the economy will help obama, and that is evident in their approach. While I don't like that strategy, I do understand that this is how politics works. Being the party-of-no isn't something that the current batch of Republicans invented, it is a much used political strategy, and Obama hasn't ever seemed to grasp that.
  • JadaRoss
    edited September 2011
    Options
    the teaparty suck and bigoted as hell
  • DWinters
    DWinters Members Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's rather obvious....
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Of course they are....Is he still ? ' his step granddaughter?
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Of course they are....Is he still ? ' his step granddaughter?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Where u hear that ? at?
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »

A few years back....where you been?
  • dan_the_man.com
    dan_the_man.com Members Posts: 701
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i think its half bigotry, half the fact he's dem..

wutz crazy iz if i decide to vote it'll probly be 4 ron paul..
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    A few years back....where you been?

I been livin under a rock
  • JadaRoss
    edited September 2011
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/freeman-wont-wed-step-granddaughter_1109413

morgan_freeman_2258629.jpg

MORGAN FREEMAN's publicist has dismissed new reports the movie star is to wed his step-granddaughter.

U.S. tabloid the National Enquirer claims the Shawshank Redemption star, 72, is romancing 27-year-old E’Dena Hines, and the couple is planning to wed once the actor's divorce from his second wife Myrna Colley-Lee is final.

But Freeman's spokesman, Dave Falkenstein, insists the story is, "complete garbage."