edited September 2011 in Roc The Mic Audio
"Caged Liberty" Freeverse produced by Mike Kalombo

Lyrics can be found HERE

Comments

• crux.
    crux. Members Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i don't know man... it's not really hip-hop to me. or at least anything i've heard. i guess if there's it's own genre for what you've done and an audience who likes it that's cool for sure, but i mean that was not what i'd expect in a verse from a hip-hop or rap artist.
    it was basically a monotonous rhythymless dictation of the lyrics you'd written. i think your ideas would be much better conveyed through more refined poetic sensibilities than through the vocalization over a loop like you did.
    i'm not trying to detract from what you did or bash you for doing so or anything - don't take it like that; i see on your youtube comments you've got a grip of people liking it, so props for that and i guess keep doing it then because of that... i'm just giving my two cents and not talking for anyone other than myself (obviously, but i just thought i'd say it anyway).

this is only my second post and i really haven't lurked this community at all to see what the general consensus is, so i guess the reaction to this post will ultimately determine my posting habits.
  • CagedLiberty
    CagedLiberty Members Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I completely understand what your conveying. This isn't Hip Hop but this is rap though, for rap stands for Rhythm and Poetry. Rhythm is a little everywhere on this verse, so it's closer to Spoken Word then Rap. It's not something you'd here from a typical hip hop artist, because I'm just being my self. The issues covered in Hip Hop are repetitive and tend to step back from the intellectuality and beauty of the roots of poetry. I find this is sad and is taking away the true potential of the genre.

The verse I had written was done without a rhyme scheme and may seem monotonous due to the fact it lacks the quality of a regular song (ex. Chorus, Bridge..). I posted this for a contest entry in which there were two beats available for the contestants. I had recorded the verse acapella then added the beat over it. I look back on it now and I feel I may have rushed the way I went about recording the track. I thought I would give it a try, the best way to improve in any art is constructive criticism. So I really do appreciate the feedback, it's not often a new artist receives it. Cheers :)