The Day of Hip Hop 2011

Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in The Essence
This is obviously that day of the year where all the dope ? drops on one day it seems.

If youve heard the albums already please post your favorite.

Phonte wins for me.

Followed by 9th

Followed by Evidence

Followed by Cole.

what about you guys?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    This is obviously that day of the year where all the dope ? drops on one day it seems.

If youve heard the albums already please post your favorite.

Phonte wins for me.

Followed by 9th

Followed by Evidence

Followed by Cole.

what about you guys?

That's a lot of listening Lou, I envy you!!! I still have only listened to Charity Starts at home, very good album, but I'm hoping Evidence can come through and maybe top it after hearing 'Tay's, which I admittedly thought would be even better than Oneirology, but falls short by some way for my album contender of the year (at least for now!)

What makes you put Evidence below 9th's?
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    I think evidence is good. to me personally i dont think hes as dope as a lot of other heads do. its nothing about his rhymes i think its mainly his flow. He just raps boring to me.

9th had a shitload of features by rappers i like a whole lot more than evidence. 9ths production has been slacking too but i think the albums still better than Cats And Dogs. they are all great releases but i can tell that ill be listening to 9th's album more than Evidence.

J. Cole came with a solid debut but he had those radio friendly fillers that just killed it for me.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited September 2011
    Heard Evidence, Phonte, and Cole.

Evidence's is by far my favorite. Just great rhymes and great beats. Ev shows some hunger on this album too. The guests all show up and provide their A game, everyone from Slug to Rae to Ras Kass to Prodigy, such an eclectic collage of guests and they mostly all work. You, Crash, Late For The Sky, and The Red Carpet are my early favorites but ? it its all dope. One of the best of the year (and its been a pretty good year).

Phonte comes second. Good album. Phonte raps his ass off but the album could have more in the beats and concepts departments. Pretty standard in both that kind of hinders Phonte's pure lyricism. But its just nice to hear Phonte rapping again that its all good with me anyways.

Cole comes in third, and its not a bad album, just kind of unspectacular. Cole is a pretty good regular type guy rapper, but he can be dull because of that. The production compliments his style, but it never really pushes his style or raps either. Some good tracks tho like Dollar and a Dream, Lost Ones, the track with Missy, and In The Morning but just not notable enough for me to revisit in full much in the future.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited September 2011
    Heard Evidence, Phonte, and Cole.

Evidence's is by far my favorite. Just great rhymes and great beats. Ev shows some hunger on this album too. The guests all show up and provide their A game, everyone from Slug to Rae to Ras Kass to Prodigy, such an eclectic collage of guests and they mostly all work. You, Crash, Late For The Sky, and The Red Carpet are my early favorites but ? it its all dope. One of the best of the year (and its been a pretty good year).

Phonte comes second. Good album. Phonte raps his ass off but the album could have more in the beats and concepts departments. Pretty standard in both that kind of hinders Phonte's pure lyricism. But its just nice to hear Phonte rapping again that its all good with me anyways.

Cole comes in third, and its not a bad album, just kind of unspectacular. Cole is a pretty good regular type guy rapper, but he can be dull because of that. The production compliments his style, but it never really pushes his style or raps either. Some good tracks tho like Dollar and a Dream, Lost Ones, the track with Missy, and In The Morning but just not notable enough for me to revisit in full much in the future.

I was surprised at how much i liked that song with missy on it.
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I've only heard 3 of them so far and the order would be

1. Phonte
    2. 9th Wonder
    3. J. Cole