Options
1235»

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    First of all, stop all that tough talk when you mom still irons your clothes for you. Second this album hasn't even technically dropped yet and it's too early to determine whether or not it's a classic album (good album to me). What does Cole show, he showed a storytelling element of hiphop that has been dead for years. Is he showing us legendary, maybe that's your ? problem you go into albums expecting unrealistic ? . How about you go into music with no expectations and appreciate a project for what it is, a good album then let it marinate years later to see whether something is legendary. For all your legendary yapping, i don't remember anyone claiming Reasonable Doubt, COllege Dropout,etc legendary when it first dropped. It took some years for people to truly appreciate the album. Yes Cole World SIdeline Story is easily better than Warm Up and FNL, much more polished album than both. Sonically it ? on FNL, songwriting wise (concept, hooks, choruses, execution), and flow of the album it's better. FNL and Warm Up are mixtapes for a reason, the fat wasn't trimmed from those albums and they weren't sequenced like his album was.

Who Dat wasn't successful, there is no subjective debate about that compared to a song like say a GET AT ME DOG or AMILLI by X and Game that wasn't commercial and crossed over. Does he sound like himself, that would be a question for J Cole to answer because it sounds to me you're trying to put him in a box. He addressed this in a interview a few days ago, about how undergound fans want him to keep making Warm Up and FNL over and over, and that in order for him to grow he has to do songs like WORK OUT, MR. NICE WATCH,etc so he doesn't box himself in. He can't be affraid to try something different or else that' how you fall off as a artist, the reason why people like Kanye,Jay,Wayne,etc are successful is because they keep their core fanbase happy with the ? they like but aren't afraid to try something different.

My whole point is, STOP TRYING TO PUT ARTIST IN YOUR LITTLE ASS BOX. If a artist tries something and fail, good but atleast they can say they tried. How many ? COllege Dropout, Reasonable Doubt or All Falls DOwn, Dead President can a artist make over and over. Let the artist be able to try a STRONGER, BIG PIMPING,etc.

28b4m5f.gif

You must be ^^^.

Stop typing man because you make no sense and your attacking me and not my argument. I'm not trying to put him in a box. I'm telling you that Cole would make better music if he'd continue to do what he's been doing his whole career. What part about letting an artist be an artist implies that i want said artist in a box? Being an artist means being different and being exciting. You think i'm some backpacker right? I liked Outkast's last album and it was there highest selling album and the top selling album in Hip Hop. There goes your assumption.

As far as my expectations are concerned, i expected an album that Cole himself said he wanted to release: which was a classic. However, i'm smart and experienced so i knew he would fall short, so i'm not disappointed. I've heard the album and I don't think nor have i said that it's a bad album. Even though he doesn't sound as hungry as he once did and some of his records sound forced - the same thing Nas got hated on for records on Nastradamus.

You represent the mainstream elitism that confines hip hop to a specific sound. You think that growth as an artist means more radio play and mainstream appeal. Growing as an artist means becoming more artistic. Being artistic means being creative and that's a risk you take as an artist. Name an artist who's not creative in their respective medium and i will name you a failure at their craft. No one is saying that Cole isn't a great artist, but great artists don't conform to certain sounds. Marvin Gaye was successful with "What's Going On" because it was different than what he did before but it was as natural and fluid as anything that he did before. He found his balance. J. Cole sounded absolutely lazy on "Mr. Nice Watch" and if you think that's him being artistic then you are a fool. He conformed to radio and true artists don't conform. Imagine if Ice Cube did records like that on "Amerikkka's Most Wanted". Ice Cube executed that album in similar fashion to "Straight Outta Compton" but still injected content and artistry with songs like "Who's The Mack" which was a dope story record and single. He didn't abandon his roots, he didn't try hard to go pop, he did what was natural for him. Cole didn't, and you can hear it on tracks like "Mr. Nice Watch" & "Work Out".

You can continue to say that "Who Dat" wasn't successful but if that's the case than neither is "Just A Dream" by Nelly, which was number 3 on the billboard top 100 and resulted in 63,000 in the first week. You don't know how an song will sell an album until the album hits stores. "Lasers" singles didn't do too well but that album still debuted at over 200,000 sold first week.

In conclusion, i will use your own words and say STOP TRYING TO PUT ARTISTS YOUR LITTLE ASS BOX that is radio. Radio doesn't always determine how successful a record will be nor does it determine how artistic an artist is. You should take your own advice and let the music be what it is. Stop caping for J. Cole, and stop thinking that songs like "Work Out" & "Mr. Nice Watch" are the best songs he's done or the best songs he can do, because they are not.
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Cole album is better overall but both wont stand the the of time. A far as debuts go, saigons album is much better than Cole's

This i can respectfully cosign
  • MrCrafty
    MrCrafty Members Posts: 1,624
    edited September 2011
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    i cant believe all these ? ass ? on the board was riding with that ? cole and he drop that burning diarrhea ? called sideline story. man that album is wack as ? . aint no way he the ? savior of hip hop. yall ? was waiting 2 years for that boring ass album. sideline story 0/5. no good songs on the album. nothing memorable. nothing bumpable. nothing quotable. the album is boring as ? . more boring than rotten apple, more boring than kingdome come. j cole cant produce. i hear hotter beats in fresh produce. who gave this dude clearance to put that ? production on a album. j cole sucks ? on the board. track after track of boredom. nothing to make me bob my head. nothing to make me wanna repeat j cole album is landfill soil. i gave this album a 2 blunt handicap and it still aint on hit. wack ass debut album. wacker than wale debut and that ? was WAAAACK. somebody ? ass gonna say this album is better than the new school debut ? you got ? up. thats ? . TML is miles ahead of sideline story. no contest. drake is lyrically advanced than j cole. at least drake can put together a song. i dont even know what the ? j cole was rapping about on that album because he just spits a bunch of ? in a sloppy manner. drake ? got radio bangers. j cole tried to make radio bangers but got awkward songs that conflict each other on the album. sideline story was wack as ? . im not buying the album unless it comes out on vinyl. i tried to give cole a chance but his music is weak and uninteresting.sideline story was the most underproduced and boring new school debut. bob ? on this album. wiz ? on this album. pink friday ? on this album. dont even compare this weak ass album to illmatic let alone nastradamus or bravehearts album. im glad this album is out the way so Jay Z can drop his wack ass.

Sideline ? story 0/5

word, ? worse than a banks album
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    28b4m5f.gif

You must be ^^^.

Stop typing man because you make no sense and your attacking me and not my argument. I'm not trying to put him in a box. I'm telling you that Cole would make better music if he'd continue to do what he's been doing his whole career. What part about letting an artist be an artist implies that i want said artist in a box? Being an artist means being different and being exciting. You think i'm some backpacker right? I liked Outkast's last album and it was there highest selling album and the top selling album in Hip Hop. There goes your assumption.

As far as my expectations are concerned, i expected an album that Cole himself said he wanted to release: which was a classic. However, i'm smart and experienced so i knew he would fall short, so i'm not disappointed. I've heard the album and I don't think nor have i said that it's a bad album. Even though he doesn't sound as hungry as he once did and some of his records sound forced - the same thing Nas got hated on for records on Nastradamus.

You represent the mainstream elitism that confines hip hop to a specific sound. You think that growth as an artist means more radio play and mainstream appeal. Growing as an artist means becoming more artistic. Being artistic means being creative and that's a risk you take as an artist. Name an artist who's not creative in their respective medium and i will name you a failure at their craft. No one is saying that Cole isn't a great artist, but great artists don't conform to certain sounds. Marvin Gaye was successful with "What's Going On" because it was different than what he did before but it was as natural and fluid as anything that he did before. He found his balance. J. Cole sounded absolutely lazy on "Mr. Nice Watch" and if you think that's him being artistic then you are a fool. He conformed to radio and true artists don't conform. Imagine if Ice Cube did records like that on "Amerikkka's Most Wanted". Ice Cube executed that album in similar fashion to "Straight Outta Compton" but still injected content and artistry with songs like "Who's The Mack" which was a dope story record and single. He didn't abandon his roots, he didn't try hard to go pop, he did what was natural for him. Cole didn't, and you can hear it on tracks like "Mr. Nice Watch" & "Work Out".

You can continue to say that "Who Dat" wasn't successful but if that's the case than neither is "Just A Dream" by Nelly, which was number 3 on the billboard top 100 and resulted in 63,000 in the first week. You don't know how an song will sell an album until the album hits stores. "Lasers" singles didn't do too well but that album still debuted at over 200,000 sold first week.

In conclusion, i will use your own words and say STOP TRYING TO PUT ARTISTS YOUR LITTLE ASS BOX that is radio. Radio doesn't always determine how successful a record will be nor does it determine how artistic an artist is. You should take your own advice and let the music be what it is. Stop caping for J. Cole, and stop thinking that songs like "Work Out" & "Mr. Nice Watch" are the best songs he's done or the best songs he can do, because they are not.

How do you know he isn't doing the music he wants to do and that SIDELINE STORIES isn't a natural progression for him as a artist? Which further lets me know you have put him in a box, because he didn't adhere to what you're perception of his sound should be.

Like i said, too damn early for that classic talk and even then that's only your opinion.Lots of people out there feel that the album lived up to the expectations, especially considering the unrealistic expectations that was placed on it int he first place. I don't even know what Nastradamus have to do with anything, Nastradamus wasn't knocked for it sounding forced, it was just ? production period. There is nothing forced about SIdeline Story, you just pushed your perceptions on J Cole and expected him to be in one lane.

Who the ? said anything about radio play, my issue is ? like you who box rappers like Common, Talib, Mos,etc in this conscious and underground box to when they make something like that's outside the box ya'll start yelling that disappointed ? . DEFINE ? "ARTISTIC", i bet you can't even put a finger on that meaning and it's probably more than likely some biased perception of what you have. What did J Cole conform too, how does any of the singles (Work Out, Can't Get Enough, In the Morning) sound like anything that's out right now?

Why are you bringing up Marvin Gaye, it took Marvin Gaye years as a artist to make a What's Going On? It took that ? 10 ? years from his debut to make that album and everything you are yapping about is pointless ? rhetoric to me. How did J COle abandon his roots, isn't LIGHTS PLEASE, LOST ONES,NEVER TOLD, DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL,etc on his album.

Once again, please tell me how CAN'T GET ENOUGH, IN THE MORNING, WORK OUT sound like any other rappers song out there. Sonically those songs sound like nothing out right now, is it because it has a good feel commercial vibe to them you have a issue with it.

Point being, everything you're yapping about is baseless and ? pointless. He stuck to his roots on his debut album, the majority of the album is substance driven and the J Cole people know (Dollar n a dream, lost ones,etc) and the fun records are still lyrically inclined and executed well. It's not like he ran to do a bunch of singles with Alex the Kidd and Skyler or Stargate like these other pop rappers. I think he did a great job of walking the line and the commercial sounding songs were still within his lane.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lol, ? typin essays and ?
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lol, ? typin essays and ?

Lmao I didn't know I was gonna need a ? highlighter and reading glasses for this ? . Anyways to me sideline story is the much better album
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    MrCrafty wrote: »
    word, ? worse than a banks album

Lmao at all of Ross albums being "classic" tho.....
    28b4m5f.gif

had to jack this.....
  • JokerzWyld
    edited September 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    How do you know he isn't doing the music he wants to do and that SIDELINE STORIES isn't a natural progression for him as a artist? Which further lets me know you have put him in a box, because he didn't adhere to what you're perception of his sound should be.

? i didn't put him in a box. He put himself in a box by trying to be mainstream. This man did a song with Trey Songz in similar fashion to the way Lupe did "Outta My Head", with a similar song format. That makes me think he's trying to sound like someone else on the radio.
    Like i said, too damn early for that classic talk and even then that's only your opinion.Lots of people out there feel that the album lived up to the expectations, especially considering the unrealistic expectations that was placed on it int he first place. I don't even know what Nastradamus have to do with anything, Nastradamus wasn't knocked for it sounding forced, it was just ? production period. There is nothing forced about SIdeline Story, you just pushed your perceptions on J Cole and expected him to be in one lane.

I didn't say that his album should be a classic, HE SAID HE WANTED HIS DEBUT TO BE A CLASSIC IN INTERVIEWS THAT WERE POSTED IN THREAD ON THE IC. Stop puttin words in my mouth and read what people write. Stop caping for his missteps and just admit that he fell short of his potential as an artist. Also in relation to the topic, i had originally said that SLS is better than TML. OH, and i used Nastradamus as an example of lyrical emcee forcing himself into the mainstream when he would have been more successful being himself.... just like J. Cole. I'm over your head man. Also, where do you come off talking about ? production but then acting like SLS is so great. You were one of the biggest critics of J. Cole's production skills.

Who the ? said anything about radio play, my issue is ? like you who box rappers like Common, Talib, Mos,etc in this conscious and underground box to when they make something like that's outside the box ya'll start yelling that disappointed ? . DEFINE ? "ARTISTIC", i bet you can't even put a finger on that meaning and it's probably more than likely some biased perception of what you have. What did J Cole conform too, how does any of the singles (Work Out, Can't Get Enough, In the Morning) sound like anything that's out right now?

? you said that J. Cole wanted to be mainstream, how does one become mainstream.... by making songs for the mainstream I.E. radio. if you don't think the two are relative then you are in the wrong forum. Who said anything about Common, Mos Def, etc. I only brought up Nas, Marvin Gaye, & Ice Cube who were all very successful in the mainstream and radio by being themselves and making music that was sonically different than most others - which would put them outside of the box artistically, wouldn't it? I already used artistic in it's proper context in the post you just quoted. Either use context-clues to get the definition or use Oxford/Merriam Websters.
    Why are you bringing up Marvin Gaye, it took Marvin Gaye years as a artist to make a What's Going On? It took that ? 10 ? years from his debut to make that album and everything you are yapping about is pointless ? rhetoric to me. How did J COle abandon his roots, isn't LIGHTS PLEASE, LOST ONES,NEVER TOLD, DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL,etc on his album.

I brought up Marvin Gaye because he's an artist in his genre of music just like J. Cole is in his. I named Marvin as an example of an artist who didn't conform and had success, just like Outkast who i mentioned in my previous post, by being creative. I never said Cole abandoned his roots, you're putting words in my mouth again. "Lights Please" is from a mixtape he did two years ago at the least. And I already said that i didn't think the album was bad multiple times. He just shouldn't try so hard to be pop, which is something he is not.
    Once again, please tell me how CAN'T GET ENOUGH, IN THE MORNING, WORK OUT sound like any other rappers song out there. Sonically those songs sound like nothing out right now, is it because it has a good feel commercial vibe to them you have a issue with it.

They all sound corny and I already wrote that the single with Trey Songz sounds similar to the format Lupe used on "Outta My Head", with the exception that Lupe executed it better. "Work Out" is some made up nonsense with some watered-down Paula Abdul on it, and even YOU said that dude needs to stop singing his own hooks. I actually enjoyed "In The Morning," and that's why i said that FNL was good.
    Point being, everything you're yapping about is baseless and ? pointless. He stuck to his roots on his debut album, the majority of the album is substance driven and the J Cole people know (Dollar n a dream, lost ones,etc) and the fun records are still lyrically inclined and executed well. It's not like he ran to do a bunch of singles with Alex the Kidd and Skyler or Stargate like these other pop rappers. I think he did a great job of walking the line and the commercial sounding songs were still within his lane.

Actually his fun records weren't lyrically inclined, they weren't even as lyrical as "Who Dat" was, let alone "Simba". "Mr. Nice Watch" is some of Cole's laziest verses ever. However, If you believe otherwise then so be it.
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? really need to stop with this whole Drake vs Cole ? . They are nothing a like except they both light skin ? who are in the music industry. Drakes a mainstream avg rapper who likes making RnB tracks for women and sings.

Cole is that 90-2000s type rapper, who can spit on the mic and freestyle on the spot in the studio on any beat that won't have a big hit on the radio or in the clubs.

Skill wise Cole >>>Drake it really anit even close

Marketability in the current industry and making singles on the radio and clubs Drake>>> Cole
  • ImWhiteBoyAwesome
    ImWhiteBoyAwesome Members Posts: 229
    edited September 2011
    Options
    BenSkrilla wrote: »
    if thats what really got you sex...you was ? a ? bruh lol

i agree tho, if u like it bump it. dont matter what anyone else thinks

Tsssssss nah c'mon, nobodies album is singlehandedly gettin you any ? if the ? ain't interested to begin with....

She was admirin the swaaaaaaag, she was one of them tattoo'd "scene" chicks, she wasn't used to bein with a "gangsta" (her words NOT mine) haha.

But I gotta say TML, probs made it open quicker than playin "Super Gangsta, Extrodinary Gentleman" by Styles P would have haha..... #nolie
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    the only reason drake has a fanbase is because autotune fairtale weak ? music is popular in the mainstream....15 years ago they would have called that ? an emo millie vanillie the way he whines and groans with computer effects.

True, Drake's music would've never sold 10-15 years ago.

Drake's more appealing, but J Cole is, by far, the better rapper IMO.

Drake will probably always sell more because he has a more mainstream fanbase, but J Cole's music has way more depth than Drake's limited subject matter.

I can relate to J Cole's content much more and his music is much less watered down than what Drake has to offer. All Drake really raps about is himself, money, and being emo and butt hurt over females
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? need to stop trying to compare Drake to LL. As a big LL fan this ? is bogus. Never in his prime was LL considered an R&B rapper unless you were naive to his music. He had tremendous balance. Thats why in raps most competitive era, LL could drop love ballads and still get tremendous respect. ? knew he could spit that ? . Ask Canabis. Thats why ? could call himself GOAT and nobody say ? . Can you imagine Drake battling a rapper of Canabis ability? And winning? No day.

lol at u talkin like that, n lol @ this post hahaha got me rollin, but yo duke jus said LL was a soft rapper, its a different era so i know what he means its all in context

n yo canibus ability wouldnt last in this era, drake could put out a mean diss too n since he could get momentum from the mainstream it could bethe same thing, hes still a decent MC
  • RealTalkin
    RealTalkin Members Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Options
    First I'd like to say I'm a huge fan of both Drake AND J. Cole.

Drake's style of rapping and singing is pretty unique and with the help of 40 producing, instant radio hits are made that I bump in the car to school/work/clubs. Really like the newer songs he's been putting out like Club Paradise, Headlines, and Free Spirit. His older works are great as well. So Far Gone is my favorite Drake mixtape. Thank Me Later has so many hits and excellent features.

J. Cole has been around for a bit but continues to get better and better! There is not a bad song I've heard from Cole yet. Very impressed that he produces about 90% of his music as well. Lyrically speaking, I believe J. Cole has the edge on Drake. Songs like Lost Ones, Breakdown, Too Deep for the Intro, and Farewell tell stories on sensitive subjects that relate to us or at least someone that we know.

After listening to both albums my opinion: COLE WORLD: THE SIDELINE STORY > THANK ME LATER

There is not a single song I want to skip while listening to Cole World, with Thank Me Later there are about 4 songs I like to pass on. Singles wise, I believe that Drake wins this category. The singles Over, Fancy, and Miss Me are much greater individually than Work Out and Can't Get Enough standing alone. But as far as the album as a whole goes, Cole World: The Sideline Story triumphs over Thank Me Later.

My two cents..
  • Idoitforhiphop
    Idoitforhiphop Members Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Honestly, they've got different feels and different vibes entirely. I don't think it's a fair comparison to make.
  • Idoitforhiphop
    Idoitforhiphop Members Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Though if I had to pick, Cole World.