IGN Exclusive FIFA 12 Review

joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in IllGaming
The beautiful game just got a little bit more beautiful.

Last year FIFA consolidated its reputation as the pre-eminent football video game, but nothing wilts faster than laurels rested upon. That said, a pitfall awaiting such annual franchises is the pressure to innovate simply for the sake of it, to make this year's iteration substantially different from the last. And so this year FIFA returns with a glitzy marquee of new gameplay features and innumerable tweaks.

Thankfully, the much-hyped trinity of Player Impact Engine, Precision Dribbling and Tactical Defending wasn't empty bluster or beguiling hucksterism on EA's behalf. Individually, each feature quietly revolutionises the game's already-solid gameplay for the better. Yet taken together, they radically reshape the game.

More FIFA Soccer 12 Videos

First up, tactical defending perhaps poses the biggest challenge to veteran fans of the series. Since the release of the demo it's been divisive and has more than a few naysayers. Replacing the 'pressurise' defensive system, wherein you could launch fullbacks like Tomahawk missiles, tactical defending is a much more sophisticated approach to defending and ultimately it engenders games with a more authentic rhythm. Instead of bludgeoning teams with an overwhelming tide of pressure that requires little skill, you use the defensive cornerstones of 'contain' and 'jockey' to marshall the opposition when you lose the ball. If done correctly you'll be able to restrict the other team's movement, eventually forcing mistakes. It's more engaging, and you actually have more to do than ever before when you're not in possession.

Whilst in previous games tackling was an ever-dependable tactic to regain possession speedily, in FIFA 12 tackling is, as it should be, a last defence. You have to decide expertly when to stick out a leg. Mistime it fractionally and you'll be left in the wake of a gloating winger as he scampers towards goal. So whenever possible, stay on your feet or you'll get brutally punished.

Tactical defending schools you in the admittedly less glamourous part of the game. It rewards you for being more defensively minded, for marking your man, and for maintaining your shape while those around you lose theirs. And while that might not be as immediately exciting as dancing around defenders with Messi, it does significantly alter the tempo of matches. Games open up, allowing passages of play much closer to the real thing, and as consequence you can be much more creative going forward.

fifa-soccer-12-20110923045622105.jpg

For the curmudgeons out there resistant to change, you can switch back to the 'pressure' system of yesteryear. But once you adapt to tactical defending you can't go back. Last year's system seems crude by comparison, stifling the flow of matches and suffocating skill.

This heightened realism is only augmented further by Precision Dribbling, which is arguably FIFA 12's greatest addition. Subtle and seemingly insignificant, precision dribbling is, when mastered, an indispensable part of the gameplay. Basically, it enables you to control the ball deftly in close quarters but it really has a wealth of uses.

Despite its name, dropping into Precision Dribbling (which can be done by manually pressing L1/LB) allows you do so much beyond just dribble. Of course it doesn't instantly transform every player into Iniesta (which would be nice but ultimately unrealistic). But use it sparingly and discerningly and it can buy you that extra half a yard to unleash a shot from the edge of the box or thread a defence-dissecting through-ball.

The final part of the much-hyped trinity is the Player Impact Engine, a complex algorithm two-years in the making, which simulates player collisions with unparalleled realism. And for the most part, it makes good on this ambitious promise. Occasionally it produces anatomically-improbable encounters or some faintly-? embraces in the middle of the park but such mishaps are rare and entirely excusable, since what it gives the game is immeasurable. Yes, I'm repeating myself, but it invests players with almost-tangible mass, so when they collide they react, for the most part, like bodies crashing at speed, reacting according to velocity and the angle of impact.

More FIFA 12 Videos

The only potential problem I experienced was the inability of referees to correctly interpret some of these sophisticated collisions. Instead of easily dividing challenges into 'foul' or 'no foul', the Player Impact Engine adds a whole spectrum of ambiguity into the mix, and the ref makes mistakes. But this is a problem not exclusive to FIFA 12, its an issue inherent to football itself. What would a game of football be without the odd suspect decision to rail against? Accidental or intentional, it once again brings the sim closer to the reality.

In addition to such major gameplay changes, there are myriad new features in the new FIFA 12 but some of the standout ones include improvements to the Career mode. For those who spend hours in the manager's dugout, the drama is said to be much closer to the real thing. And while that may be the case, it certainly teaches you to play careful attention to the statistics

For most, progress is tediously slow, but player logic has been improved and the game does its best to simulate various aspects of the modern game – from the drama of transfer deadline day activity to the petulant whimsy of the modern-day footballer. A scouting system and youth academy have even been thrown in for good measure too, but all of it is displayed in such an insipid manner, in layers of static menus, that it can be a fairly bland, sterile experience.

EA Sports Football Club promises to provide players with challenges ripped right from that week's newspaper back pages. Whether this is a successful feature, I can't say at this moment because the servers don't go live until after launch, but if EA supports this feature all-year round – as it has done with previous online features – with innovative scenarios it really could prove to be a wonderful addition. Only time will tell.

fifa-soccer-12-20110923045622796.jpg

Presentation is another one of FIFA 12's many strengths. Everything is slick and sumptuous, from the team selection screens to the brilliantly-polished graphics that preface each match and FIFA's access to official licensing means it remains unrivalled in terms of authenticity. From the stellar Barcelona to the humble Accrington Stanley, teams look the way they should. The likenesses of the top players are at times uncanny, though they do suffer from dead-eye syndrome from time to time. Stadiums and lighting effects help sell the illusion too but crowds, while convincing from a distance, look suspiciously-related when seen in close-up shots.

Just one of the subsidiary modes is Ultimate Team – wherein you earn, buy, sell, and trade players in the hope building your very own Galácticos – is available for the very first time at launch. Since its launch with FIFA 09 it's been a huge hit, with millions of in-game card packs being purchased. So it's no surprise that it's been included on the disc this year. You'll start with a fairly meagre bunch of players, and through hard graft or by splashing actual money you can improve the quality of your team. Previously only available as post-release paid DLC, the inclusion of Ultimate Team makes FIFA 12 even better value.

But no matter what mode you choose to experience in FIFA 12 you still get the same incredible gameplay.

Closing Comments

Thankfully, FIFA 12 has not innovated simply for the sake of it. The gameplay innovations greatly improve the way FIFA plays. Matches unfold with a more authentic tempo, taking it much closer to the real thing. Revolution? Evolution? Who really cares. More importantly, is FIFA 12 the best football game in the world? I don't think so. But I'd put it in my top one.

Presentation 9.5
Unrivalled authenticity and broadcast-quality presentation means FIFA remains peerless in terms of its

Graphics 9.0
Stadiums look magnificent and the appearance of some players is uncanny, but crowds don't stand up to close scrutiny.

Sound 9.0
Commentary is varied and games have an authentic buzz about them.

Gameplay 9.5
Bold innovation pays off, with a suite of new features that enhance not only your enjoyment of the game but take it one step closer to the real thing.

Lasting Appeal 10
With finely-tuned gameplay and a plethora of different modes and online features, you'll be playing FIFA 12 all season long.

OVERALL 9.5 (Amazing)

Comments

• One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    fifa pay off reviewers
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2011
    lol ......... How's PES looking this year?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Got my copy for 45 coming in from toys r us.
  • One Spliff
    edited September 2011
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    lol ......... How's PES looking this year?

can tell if this is sarcasim or not lol.

but i played the first demo n it kinda sucked, havent tried the second demo yet...didnt play pes 2011 either.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    PES is fun 2, you'll enjoy both games if you simply ignore the counterpart.....or cop both lol

played a lot of Fifa 11(first fifa game since 99 lol), game was ? , 12 is the ? 2. Been a pro fan ever since international super star soccer/deluxe for snes when I was a kid, they actually have those old skool 'free kick training' challenges (where you get points for getting the ball in a certain part of the goal), I already know we're going to play that mode high as ? /not wanting the pass the controller trippin and ?

so yeah I'm back in the Pro camp now, ? Fifa:)
  • Alkindus
    edited September 2011
    You cats also still have friends that don't play Pro or Fifa out of principle lol? my bro didn't even want to check out the fifa 12 demo lmao

edit: Lol at the screenshots btw, thats that brotha Nasri still rockin the Gunners jersey there....they better get all the transfers correct(or they'll let us pay 10 bucks for a weekly update again ?)
  • One Spliff
    edited September 2011
    Alkindus wrote: »
    PES is fun 2, you'll enjoy both games if you simply ignore the counterpart.....or cop both lol

played a lot of Fifa 11(first fifa game since 99 lol), game was ? , 12 is the ? 2. Been a pro fan ever since international super star soccer/deluxe for snes when I was a kid, they actually have those old skool 'free kick training' challenges (where you get points for getting the ball in a certain part of the goal), I already know we're going to play that mode high as ? /not wanting the pass the controller trippin and ?

so yeah I'm back in the Pro camp now, ? Fifa:)

i got the inpression from the demo they were trying to make it more like fifa...

they shud jus go back to the old pes 5/6 gameplay lol...that was untouchable
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2011
    One Spliff wrote: »
    can tell if this is sarcasim or not lol.

but i played the first demo n it kinda sucked, havent tried the second demo yet...didnt play pes 2011 either.

No, I'm serious. I haven't DL'd the 2nd demo but was not too impressed with the first one. It was fun to play, but the movements felt still and arcadey. The 2nd is supposed to be better though. What I like is that the field seems bigger/players seem smaller than in FIFA, so you have more time and space on the ball. But with the new defending mode (FIFA) that kind of evens out.
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2011
    You cats also still have friends that don't play Pro or Fifa out of principle lol? my bro didn't even want to check out the fifa 12 demo lmao

edit: Lol at the screenshots btw, thats that brotha Nasri still rockin the Gunners jersey there....they better get all the transfers correct(or they'll let us pay 10 bucks for a weekly update again ?)

Nah, I used to play both. I used to buy FIFA for the authenticity of the teams licenses and PES for the better gameplay. PES07 (Adriano cover) was the best one. The last time I bought PES was 08 - the online was awful, so I didn't but 09 first day and waited for reviews to see if that was sorted, but the review was about 2 scores down from FIFA so I didn't bother.

$10? That's if you buy the game used. Yea, they usually have a squad update by the time the game releases - the game is already gold by the time the transfer window shuts.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Can't wait for this.
    Gonna cop it Tuesday morning @ midnight, and play it for a few hours before school.
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2011
    By now, the millions of fans who sign up for a new FIFA every year must have grasped the fact that, for the foreseeable future, EA's football sim is all about evolution rather than revolution. Ever since the series began turning things around in FIFA 08 the emphasis has been on bringing the in-game football experience as close to the real thing as possible. Every new feature or tweak focuses on authenticity, and even the reactions and chants of the different stadium crowds are region-specific.

But how close to reality does this game need to be? Elements of realism have the potential to impress, but shouldn't have a negative impact on one of the medium's main draws: wish-fulfilment. A Fulham FC fan's pleasure at recognising a chant from Craven Cottage has to be married to their ability to take the Cottagers all the way to a Champions League final.

The big new features in FIFA 12 that tap into those disparate desires are the new Head To Head Seasons and EA Sports Football Club. The latter is a new online social network, of sorts, with an RPG element attached to it. Players earn XP for everything they do in the game, and those points count towards the position in the FIFA 12 online league of the club they support. It also offers scenarios and live challenges based on real-world instances similar to the Scenario Mode in FIFA World Cup 2010. They're season-long and there's no extra fee to access them.

The position of the player's club of choice in the online league is based on the average skill and dedication of each fan, so it's not just about weight of numbers, and there's a daily XP cap to prevent farming. Fans also don't have to use the club they support to earn XP, so it's possible to help Millwall's progression on the leaderboards by playing with Barcelona.

The new Head To Head Seasons are a more encompassing and expanded take on the game's ranked matches. Players have 10 seasons of 10 games to progress from the lowest division to the highest one, advancing up the ranks by winning points through victories or draws. There are also cup tournament windows that open for each of the different divisions where players can compete for virtual silverware.

They're certainly ambitious features, but at the time of writing it's impossible to judge how much of a draw they're likely to be. Those who play every FIFA to death probably don't need an extra reason to boot up the game and fair-weather fans don't seem to be the sort these features are aimed at. But they're not the be all and end all of FIFA 12's projected success - that depends on how people take to the changes made to the in-game engine.

Tackling and defending are also far more difficult thanks to the precision dribbling mechanic and what seems to be an improved AI. Harried attackers will turn away from oncoming threats, covering the ball with their bodies or threading it through to teammates running into space.

The on-pitch action has kept much of what was evident in FIFA 11's drive towards authenticity and away from arcade play; passes are still weighted and require more precision, you have more control over headers, and goalkeepers aren't beaten by chipped shots on goal. The larger tweaks and tucks, meanwhile, may cause fans of the last three entries in the franchise some teething problems, at least initially.
    For a start, the game's new player impact engine has the same effect on the on-pitch action as a strict referee would. It all feels a little less fluid and scoring goals is a lot more difficult. Barging into the box - at least on difficulty settings above Semi-Pro - is no longer an option.
    Slam into a player - be it an opponent or a teammate - and depending on their speed and build, both could end up in a heap on the pitch. This can be leveraged to one side's advantage - it's harder to knock Wayne Rooney off the ball than it is Theo Walcott, for example - and the animations look very realistic indeed. Tackles that result in an injury actually look eye-wateringly painful.
    Defenders also work more cohesively as a unit instead of charging out full tilt at oncoming attackers. This means you'll come to rely on the game's new precision dribbling mechanic, which allows players to keep the ball closer to their feet and shield it against opponents. There's a greater amount of control on offer here, and while it takes some time to get used to, if you take the trouble to improve you'll find you have more passing and possession options than simply clearing the ball away when surrounded.

Tactical defending and jockeying compensate for this somewhat. There's a face button for causing defenders to shoulder or grab the shirt of the player they're trying to close down, although it's worth tempering the use of this feature, as hammering it consistently will prompt the ref to blow for a foul. Then there's the handy 'contain' feature, which sends the closest AI-controlled defender to cover the player with the ball, meaning that you don't need to constantly switch between players to break up an attacking threat in the box.

The new defending system will be jarring for players who used to rely on holding the two 'pressing' buttons to close down opposition attackers, although ultimately it forces you to adopt more realistic defensive behaviour. (And if you really, really hate it, you can switch to the old system through the menus.)

Away from the pitch, FIFA 12 feels robust and streamlined at the same time. The menus are less fiddly and loading times have been shortened considerably. FIFA 12's Career Mode, which once again bundles the choice of being a player, a manager or a player/manager into one neat package, is a huge improvement over last year's model. The transfers system is both easier and more fun to use and feels a lot closer to the dramatic reality than in previous iterations.

Manager and club star-ratings work in tandem in the transfer market; if you manage Manchester United, for example, don't need above a two-star manager rating to attract good players to your five-star club. You can also use your transfer budget and wage budgets interchangeably, giving you more money to sling around in the transfer window. The fantasy football element has been reduced somewhat, although the odd big buy is still possible and the AI still tries it on occasionally (£6,000,000 for Thomas Vermaelan? Pffft!).

You can choose to 'stall' deals rather than being forced to decline or accept huge offers for your best players right off the bat, and this can prove an absolute boon. Managers also receive missives from players who feel they aren't getting enough time on the pitch, and can make the decision to give them more playing time or bench them, which will have an effect on their morale and whether they announce to the press that they wish to leave.

Transfer deadline day is a far more dramatic component in this year's release too. The brief, one button-tap experience of ending the transfer window has now been drawn out to an eight-stage advance countdown. As the window to buy or sell players closes, you can use the in-game news to keep track of which players are coming on the market, which clubs are picking up new talent and how much money is being spent. The effect of watching the transfer window close is quite dramatic and fun.

Elsewhere, the fan service from last year is still in place and largely unchanged. The creation centre, ability to edit teams and players, import your own music and chants and replay and upload your finest moments on the pitch are there if you want them.

Graphically, FIFA 12 looks absolutely solid. Players look more like their real-world counterparts than ever, though the crowd in the stands is still a blurred mob. The soundtrack is as exact as in previous years, although Andy Gray is no longer doing commentary - players instead have a choice between Martin Tyler and Alan Smith or Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend depending on the context of the fixture.

The changes to commentary may have been forced by circumstance, of course, but the majority of FIFA 12's considerable updates to gameplay were not. The point of evolution is to improve in order to adapt and dominate one's environment, and FIFA 12 has done this - it keeps the best elements of FIFA 11 and builds on these already impressive foundations. The changes to the gameplay may not suit all players initially, but then evolution isn't always painless.

What it is, though, is a step forward, and after playing FIFA 12, going back to previous entries in the series seems almost unimaginable. It's another step closer to reality, and this time it's a very welcome one.

9/10
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    This game will be serious. Best believe that man. Game of the year contender.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Figo wrote: »
    This game will be serious. Best believe that man. Game of the year contender.

It will most likely win Sports Game of the Year, but as for General GOTY, it won't even be nominated. Sports games aren't usually represented in that category.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Anyone got a list of teams in the game?
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Had to stop playing already, and I just got it a few hours ago.
    My right thumbstick stopped performing trick moves, when I hold down the left trigger.
  • Alkindus
    edited September 2011
    lion_heart wrote: »
    Anyone got a list of teams in the game?

Starting with the League and Team list today, Stadiums tomorrow and then Trophies and Gameplay Sliders the following two days. Any new additions are marked with an * next to them.

Australia – A League

Austria – A Bundesliga

Belgium – Pro League

Brazil – Liga do Brasil

Denmark – Superliga

England – Barclays PL, Npower champ, Npower league 1, Npower league 2

France – Ligue 1, Ligue 2

Germany – Bundesliga, 2 Bundesliga

Italy – Serie A, Serie B

Korea Republic – Sonata K Legaue

Mexico – Primera Div Mex

Netherlands – Eredivisie

Norway – Tippeligaen

Poland – Polska Liga

Portugal – Liga Portuguesa

Republic of Ireland – Irish League

Russia – Russian League

Scotland – SPL

Spain – Liga BBVA, Liga Adelante

Sweden – Allsvenskan

Switzerland – Axpo SL

United States – MLS

So no new additions to Leagues sadly and we seem to have lost the Czech and Turkish leagues with the latter being down to a change in the way the Turkish Football Federation handle licensing deals. Lots of links and further explanation in the comments.

That now leaves the Rest of World Line up looking like this.

AEK Athens

Boca Juniors

Galatasaray SK*

Kaizer Chiefs

Olympiakos CFP

Orlando Pirates

Panathinaikos

PAOK

Racing Club*

River Plate

Classic XI

World XI

So Galatasaray now live in the Rest Of The World section and there’s one addition in the form of Racing Club. Lastly we’ve got the International Team list:

Argentina

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Cameroon

Chile *NEW*

Colombia *NEW*

Cote d’Ivoire *NEW*

Croatia

Denmark

Ecuador

Egypt *NEW*

England

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Korea Republic

Mexico

Netherlands

New Zealand

Northern Ireland

Norway

Peru *NEW*

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

Scotland

Slovenia

South Africa

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

United States

Uruguay

China PR and the Czech Republic National sides disappear, but there are a few very welcome new additions too. So, that’s your lot with regards to Leagues and Teams in FIFA 12 this year and we’re certain that there will be some unhappy voices based on the removal of Turkish and the Czech Republic leagues respectively.

Thoughts…

*Update* I’ve heard back from EA, this list is nailed on correct. Wikipedia is wrong, the Welsh league and US 2nd tier are NOT going to be in FIFA 12.
  • lion_heart
    edited September 2011
    Starting with the League and Team list today, Stadiums tomorrow and then Trophies and Gameplay Sliders the following two days. Any new additions are marked with an * next to them.

Australia – A League

Austria – A Bundesliga

Belgium – Pro League

Brazil – Liga do Brasil

Denmark – Superliga

England – Barclays PL, Npower champ, Npower league 1, Npower league 2

France – Ligue 1, Ligue 2

Germany – Bundesliga, 2 Bundesliga

Italy – Serie A, Serie B

Korea Republic – Sonata K Legaue

Mexico – Primera Div Mex

Netherlands – Eredivisie

Norway – Tippeligaen

Poland – Polska Liga

Portugal – Liga Portuguesa

Republic of Ireland – Irish League

Russia – Russian League

Scotland – SPL

Spain – Liga BBVA, Liga Adelante

Sweden – Allsvenskan

Switzerland – Axpo SL

United States – MLS

So no new additions to Leagues sadly and we seem to have lost the Czech and Turkish leagues with the latter being down to a change in the way the Turkish Football Federation handle licensing deals. Lots of links and further explanation in the comments.

That now leaves the Rest of World Line up looking like this.

AEK Athens

Boca Juniors

Galatasaray SK*

Kaizer Chiefs

Olympiakos CFP

Orlando Pirates

Panathinaikos

PAOK

Racing Club*

River Plate

Classic XI

World XI

So Galatasaray now live in the Rest Of The World section and there’s one addition in the form of Racing Club. Lastly we’ve got the International Team list:

Argentina

Australia

Austria

Belgium

Brazil

Bulgaria

Cameroon

Chile *NEW*

Colombia *NEW*

Cote d’Ivoire *NEW*

Croatia

Denmark

Ecuador

Egypt *NEW*

England

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Ireland

Italy

Korea Republic

Mexico

Netherlands

New Zealand

Northern Ireland

Norway

Peru *NEW*

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Russia

Scotland

Slovenia

South Africa

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

United States

Uruguay

China PR and the Czech Republic National sides disappear, but there are a few very welcome new additions too. So, that’s your lot with regards to Leagues and Teams in FIFA 12 this year and we’re certain that there will be some unhappy voices based on the removal of Turkish and the Czech Republic leagues respectively.

Thoughts…

*Update* I’ve heard back from EA, this list is nailed on correct. Wikipedia is wrong, the Welsh league and US 2nd tier are NOT going to be in FIFA 12.

Thanks for the list but since they don't have the national team from Jamaica, I'll pass.
  • joshuaboy
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the list but since they don't have the national team from Jamaica, I'll pass.

lol ....... you Jamaican?
  • Alkindus
    edited September 2011
    Yeah Fifa is lacking national sides lol, only African team last year was Kameroon I believe, with Pro I can play with both Morocco(country of origin) and Holland. Only problem is Morocco sucks in game haha

Fifa got the most club licenses though, waaaaaay more than Pro, ? is ridiculous lol.
  • mindright
    mindright Members Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    played the demo..

loved the game, might be the first soccer game I bought in years
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011

You can either create or download via creation centre!
  • lion_heart
    edited October 2011
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    lol ....... you Jamaican?

The fam is from there and I'm not much of a football fan to care about the teams listed.
  • lion_heart
    edited October 2011
    icks86 wrote: »
    You can either create or download via creation centre!

Never heard of creation centre. Thanks, I'll have to check it out.