Was it a mistake for R&B to merge with hip hop?

Options
waynefan
waynefan Members Posts: 129
edited October 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
I love rap 80's,90's and some artists now but as far as R&B,ever since like 1987 when that new jack swing came out dudes who sing wanna look like rappers and not singers and dont care if a girl can sing if she dont look good shes wont be popular.Kci and jojo weren't a remembered ass Stevie wonder or patti Labbelle and The Supremes.90's R&B was ? most ofit was recycled from the past old skool,In alot of 1990's black movies they played old school music which never was played in any 80's movies so its like the 90's had some throwback nostalgia but that ruins music.I like the Isley Brothers and In think Motown had the best musical era and 80's kinda reminded me of the 60's but 90's as far as culture sucked.They booed Whiteney Houston at the 1989 soul train awards becausethey thought her music was 'too white' compared to new jack swing.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    well, mainstream music today as a whole is ? , so it's not that.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    listening to Mary J's debut album the 411 then the answer would be NO!

by the time you got to Timbaland producing Pony for Ginuwine and One IN A Million for Aaliyah in 1996 you couldve divorce one from the other! it was all hip hop just with some Singing or rapping it was all hip hop anyway!
  • Shankydizzle
    Shankydizzle Members Posts: 75
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Soon R&B will get extinct, just like Jazz, everyone loved it ... then all of a sudden no one wants to do Jazz music anymore, since a different genre will come a long, most singers now are doing this ? autotune music & Pop music ...

Hip-hop is slowly dying with all this 'BASED' ?
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Rnb was corny to me. You had church boys who could sing trying to look and act like they from the hood. Still had way more gems than current rnb though.
  • waynefan
    waynefan Members Posts: 129
    edited September 2011
    Options
    My parents are old skool like they grew up in the Good times generation in the 70's with Soul Train although I like 60's soul better like "Rescue me" from sister act and Heatwave.Jazz is also cool and swing but todays R&B has no flavor very unoriginal and females are so unclassy what happened to the Diana Ross's or the Stephanie Mills types of black women.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Music-wise, no. Chart/Award-wise, hell yeah.
    Music genres always interact with each other and all of the outcom can't be bad.
    The problem is, we see the politics behind the merge of the 2 genres when it comes to giving awards to artists doing them.
    Why can't they make separate categories and celebrate R&B and hiphop artists at the same time??
    Why "R&B/Hiphop" charts? Like, each genre ain't big enough?
    When you think about it, it stinks.
    TheIraq wrote: »
    Boyz II Men?
    Are you saying that they're the counter-example?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hip Hop and R & B was ass. I remember Patti Labelle did that song with Big Daddy Kane "Feels Like Another One" and ? seemed to go downhill from there. I don't know who came up with this bright idea

And on another note, what's with all these male R & B singers singing in falsetto nowadays, what the ? . What happed to the bass voiced singers?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Once upon a time it was a pretty good union.. up until the Ja era really.. but now its terrible and tacked on.. and sounds popish.. they need to ? the pop sound in hiphop and rnb all together.. but its the culture... now.. sadly... ThANKS DRAKE!!

Neyo song you make me better was a prime example.. well one of the many of a rap ? up the song... Neyo is not really juvenille in his lyrics.. but it gets worse when.. thseNEO"RN" artist make their juvenile songs with this silly ass rappers.. ? garbage.. just my opinion
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    No way, in the 90's you had tracks like these being formed by the union.

Alfonso Hunter-Playas Play
    I'm a 90's kid, so to me the 90's music still surpasses everything else, the union with Hip-Hop brought about a different sound to previously smooth RnB music, not everybody can be talking about how much thye love their girl, how heartbroken they are, the union with Hip-Hop allowed Rnb artists to come out with songs like the above.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hip Hop and R & B was ass. I remember Patti Labelle did that song with Big Daddy Kane "Feels Like Another One" and ? seemed to go downhill from there. I don't know who came up with this bright idea

And on another note, what's with all these male R & B singers singing in falsetto nowadays, what the ? . What happed to the bass voiced singers?

The likes of Dave Hollister were wack?

Really?
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    edited September 2011
    Options
    One of the earliest and probably still best merger is Chaka Khan's I Feel For You (1984) featuring Grand Master Melle Mel.

it took a forgotten PRINCE song and flipped it with syntheziers, Scratching, Sampling (Stevie Wonder's Finger Tips part 2) and a rap verse. This song is nearly 30 years old but never sounds dated. its pure genius and shows what Hip Hop can be merging some many different elements!

yeah the cheap videos of the 80's ya gotta love em.. LOL
  • king hassan
    edited September 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    The likes of Dave Hollister were wack?

Really?

That's not what I said, I'm asking why a lot of cats singing in falsetto nowadays. When is the last time you heard a bass heavy singer, and Dave Hollister was dope to me
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That's not what I said, I'm asking why a lot of cats singing in falsetto nowadays. When is the last time you heard a bass heavy singer, and Dave Hollister was dope to me

Dave has a great voice and song lead on the classic "Before I Let You Go" when he was with Black Street.

I think as a solo artist his choice of material wasnt that good! he needed a better writing team and producers post Teddy and Black Street it wasnt that good to me
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know...I guess it just depends. I don't think hip hop of the 90's was all that great really.
  • stone crazy
    stone crazy Members Posts: 13
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't think it was a mistake. When it's done right, it's cool. The reason some singers may attempt appearing like rappers is because of rap's popularity. Also, some rappers appreciate R and B singers and vice versa. That's also why you would see a rapper on a singer's song or the other way around.
  • king hassan
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't think it was a mistake. When it's done right, it's cool. The reason some singers may attempt appearing like rappers is because of rap's popularity. Also, some rappers appreciate R and B singers and vice versa. That's also why you would see a rapper on a singer's song or the other way around.
    When is the last time you heard a "full rap album" with no singing and a full "r&b album" with no rapping?
  • BlaqueHoney01
    BlaqueHoney01 Members Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    When is the last time you heard a "full rap album" with no singing and a full "r&b album" with no rapping?

I agree. Another thing that bugs me is the singers a la Toni Braxton try to hard to keep up with the times instead of putting out good R&B music that developed their fanbase in the first place.
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited September 2011
    Options
    This started back in the new jack swing era when Teddy Riley used hip-hop beats", and made an R&B tracks over them with Keith Sweat Make It Last Forever back in 1987. Then slowly R&B and hip-hop got blended more and more, first with the beats, then singers started rappers, rappers started singing, rappers started to be featured on R&B tracks and vice versa etc end the rest is history. Or some others say that Teddy got all that from when Jam and Lewis did Control with Janet with beats that were unheard of and had somewhat of a New Jack Swing sound to them before Teddy revolutionized it. That debate could go on forever.

Was it a mistake for the two genres to blend? I don't think so. In my opinion, I just think there should be some type of boundary when they are able to be blended but still able to stay true to their genres.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It wasn't a mistake for them to blend...it was a mistake for R&B singers to take on the image of rappers though
  • molovonco
    molovonco Members Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If it's done correctly, I don't see the problem. Music is about making something beautiful.
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RZA tried to tell ? on the Wu-Tang Forever album just before "Triumph". Actually been telling ? 's for years about that ? .
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    edited October 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    It wasn't a mistake for them to blend...it was a mistake for R&B singers to take on the image of rappers though

interesting. Blame P Diddy it was him that was the A&R guy at Uptown records that developed the long of Mary J Blige and Jodeci and had them dressing like Rappers then (1991-1992) ! they were hugely successful with it so then EVERYBODY else followed with it!!

By the time Timbaland produced Aaliyah ONE IN A MILLION the STYLE of what was rap and R&B and the SOUND had been merged (this was like 1996) and from that point on they were basically indistinguishable! for better or worse..
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    When it’s done right and sparingly, it’s excellent. But you hardly hear a R&B song without a rapper on it these days. The real R&B albums are few and far between.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The problem with R and B music it is extremely limited in topics (how may ways can you sing about sex and love). It had to morph into something else to sustain and bring in new energy.