Thinking Of Buying My First Car... Used Or New? Buy Or Lease?

Options
YC11
YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Let Me Ride
I never ever had plan of buying a car until I got married and started a family... things don't always pen out the way you plan it though.

With my job position now, and status... I'm feeling the pressure to need my own ride, not just borrowing my parent's cars whenever I need them.

So yeah, I'm really staying away from buying brand new car... but I DO want to buy a quality car even if it's used.

I'm looking at Infinity mostly...

Audi and BMW are on my list but I hear nothing but bad reviews about them as used cars, your thoughts and two cents, greatly appreciated.

Comments

• t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    YC11 wrote: »
    I never ever had plan of buying a car until I got married and started a family... things don't always pen out the way you plan it though.

With my job position now, and status... I'm feeling the pressure to need my own ride, not just borrowing my parent's cars whenever I need them.

So yeah, I'm really staying away from buying brand new car... but I DO want to buy a quality car even if it's used.

Audi and BMW are on my list but I hear nothing but bad reviews about them as used cars, your thoughts and two cents, greatly appreciated.

BMW and audi are two different animals IMO as far as used cars go. I've never owned either one used but I know PLENTY of people who have and the people I hear complaining about audi's vastly outnumbers the people I hear complaining about their used Beamer. My first question to you before we get into this is are you financially stable? I ask this because for your first car you are looking at all luxury which means maintenance maintenance maintenance. If you have the bread though it is what it is....
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    ? u mop up ? at the library..get a bus pass chump
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    buy a bucket and stack
  • YC11
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I do have the bread, but I'd rather spend it on other things like travelling, clothes, fancy restaurants, extreme sports, concerts and music equipments.

I feel like people put so much emphasis on what car they drive, and end up draining ? loads of cash into a car they will end up trading or selling off sooner or later.

Like I said before, I would've been good without a car til I turned 30, have a wife and family and things like that. But because of my job status, Im feeling pressure now, I never gave a ? about getting rides before but now I'm feeling inclined to with the money I make.

I'm too stingy... I paid $0 for transportations before... to think Im gonna have to worry about lease or loan payment, gas price, insurance, maintenance fees, scratches, dents, cleaning, detailing and ? like that, already gives me headache.

I was dead set on leasing a new car but now I had change of heart again. I might go used.

2003 Infinity G35 Coupe black, or 2005 Nissan Maxima.
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    If you go used just get one of them certified used vehicles with the extra warranty. If something breaks wich it probably will cuz its used it won't be too big of a issue
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    wmj710 wrote: »
    If you go used just get one of them certified used vehicles with the extra warranty. If something breaks wich it probably will cuz its used it won't be too big of a issue

exactly......always go with a cpo because of the warranty....but if you get a full warrant chances are the note will be a little higher.....i got a full bumper to bumper warranty for three years.....the extra money is worth it.....
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I do have the bread, but I'd rather spend it on other things like travelling, clothes, fancy restaurants, extreme sports, concerts and music equipments.

I feel like people put so much emphasis on what car they drive, and end up draining ? loads of cash into a car they will end up trading or selling off sooner or later.

Like I said before, I would've been good without a car til I turned 30, have a wife and family and things like that. But because of my job status, Im feeling pressure now, I never gave a ? about getting rides before but now I'm feeling inclined to with the money I make.

I'm too stingy... I paid $0 for transportations before... to think Im gonna have to worry about lease or loan payment, gas price, insurance, maintenance fees, scratches, dents, cleaning, detailing and ? like that, already gives me headache.

I was dead set on leasing a new car but now I had change of heart again. I might go used.

Funny you would mention those two cars. True story I have a homegirl who traded in her 05 maxima for an 08 G35(4 door though), then turned around and traded that ? in for a '10 maxima. Maxima's are the ? bruh and they're what I consider affordable luxury. The g35 is slick as ? and I like that year because they still haven't changed the body style significantly(thats the good thing about nissan, they don't change the body styles every 3 ? seconds like honda)....... Infinity maintenance isn't too bad. I'd definitely prefer that ? over the Audi especially since you seem like you don't like THROWING money away...
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    what is a good justification for leasing a car?

seems pointless to me :unno
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    what is a good justification for leasing a car?

seems pointless to me :unno

Honestly if you are a person that gets tired of things easily then a leese makes perfect sense you drive the car for a couple of years and you return it for a newer model.
  • 6ft5
    edited September 2011
    Options

The 2005 maxima is the better car why would you buy a coupe if you have a kid? It's going to be a hassle to put the kid in the car.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    6ft5 wrote: »
    Honestly if you are a person that gets tired of things easily then a leese makes perfect sense you drive the car for a couple of years and you return it for a newer model.

but you never own the car

you basically paying somebody to borrow their whip

I could see a company paying for leased cars................but a regular joe schmoe?

it just seems like a way for a broke ? to floss without being able to actually afford the car :shrugs
  • 6ft5
    edited September 2011
    Options

I could see a company paying for leased cars................but a regular joe schmoe?

it just seems like a way for a broke ? to floss without being able to actually afford the car :shrugs

Depending on the car a lease can be very expensive so I can't cosign
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited September 2011
    Options

If you know you're the type to trade in cars every 2 or 3 years why not? Some people ? themselves trading in cars before they break even and the negative they roll over continues to make their car payments higher and higher. I know ? wit hella bread that lease cars and turn em back in every 2 or 3 years.....
  • YC11
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lol, I don't have a kid. I'm single. I'm 23.

I don't know... if I could get the keys to both my parent's cars, I may never buy a car to begin with.

My dad's got 2011 BMW GT550i and my mom's driving 2004 Lexus, forgot the model number. I've been driving those two for the past year so I've got certain standards now I've been spoiled with luxury cars, that's why buying used seem so hard to me.

They need their own cars, so Im not waiting on any handouts... but if I can use their cars once or twice a week when I need it, I wouldn't need to buy my own car. We have family business, so we go to work together anyway, otherwise I need a car only on several occasions. To go downtown, nobody takes their cars downtown in my city anyway.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

I don't know... if I could get the keys to both my parent's cars, I may never buy a car to begin with.

My dad's got 2011 BMW GT550i and my mom's driving 2004 Lexus, forgot the model number. I've been driving those two for the past year so I've got certain standards now I've been spoiled with luxury cars, that's why buying used seem so hard to me.

They need their own cars, so Im not waiting on any handouts... but if I can use their cars once or twice a week when I need it, I wouldn't need to buy my own car. We have family business, so we go to work together anyway, otherwise I need a car only on several occasions. To go downtown, nobody takes their cars downtown in my city anyway.[/QUOTE]

Then why even mention downtown in the first place?? I dont know, to each their own, your family got a business which is cool, but its going to be hard to find a wife and have kids if your pushing thirty and still driving mommys car, your going to have to stand on your own two at some point.
  • YC11
    edited September 2011
    Options
    /\

Hopefully I find a chick who doesn't care about that ? ... so far, I've been good without rides, I get it regardless.

I do own a house already which I rent out for profit so if chicks care about things like that, this could replace my not owning a car.... but yeah, regardless, I only look at things from financial point of view and from that point, buying or leasing a car just doesn't make sense to me, but I'm thinking more from image perspective now like everyone else. Hm. Making WAYYYYY more money is the solution. lol.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Sooo...You want us to tell you if it would be better for you to lease or buy a car that you are not going to get? I guess I'll bite since I'm bored...Research the car you "want" see how much it would cost to lease vs buy then look at the resell value of the same car with a model 3 yrs older and do the math...You will most likely find leasing is the better way to go on a new car financially but keep in mind the restrictions involved with leasing and ask yourself whether or not it is worth it.
  • Clarlyartense
    Clarlyartense Members Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ive met Mr. Zaffas and I hope all the best for him and his family with their new show but sorry I didnt like it. It was like all the rest. Nothing scientific about it.
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

What ever you buy if its not from a official car lot like a Toyota, Ford etc lot. Make sure you have a trusted mechanic check it out first. Try to avoid buying from a lemon lot.
  • opiie562
    opiie562 Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    lemon lots usually have extremely high interest rates
  • emmahudson88
    emmahudson88 Members Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    Options

They need their own cars, so Im not waiting on any handouts... but if I can use their cars once or twice a week when I need it, I wouldn't need to buy my own car. We have family business, so we go to work together anyway, otherwise I need a car only on several occasions. To go downtown, nobody takes their cars downtown in my city anyway.[/QUOTE]

Then why even mention downtown in the first place?? I dont know, to each their own, your family got a business which is cool, but its going to be hard to find a wife and have kids if your pushing thirty and still driving mommys car, your going to have to stand on your own two at some point.

Thanks you for the post.