booty-gif-dot-com
booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
edited October 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Birth name Patrice Louise Rushen
Born September 30, 1954
Genres Jazz, jazz fusion, R&B, jazz-funk, pop, soul, post-disco, urban
Occupations Musician, composer, record producer, music director, educator

rushen_patrice_175x175.jpgpatrice_rushen-before_the_dawn-2.jpg

even if you dont think you know Patrice Rushen You do KNOW Patrice Rushen from all the times her music has been Remade, Sampled, Chopped up, flipped and all those shes influenced.

She was sort of the ALICIA KEYS OF HER DAY! a sexy lil cutie pie rocking braids classically trained musician who could write, produced, sing, and perform and hugely respected by her peers. Unlike Alicia Patrice never crossed over to a Pop (I.E. WHITE) audience. but her influence can still be heard today with all the samples! heres a breakdown!! of her best known songs and who flipped them!!

FORGET ME NOTS
HAVENT YOU HEARD
YOU REMIND ME

FORGET ME NOTS - 1982 (Her Biggest Hit) yeah Videos were very cheap in those days. LOL
Charts: POP #23 R&B #4
FORGET ME NOTS - 1997 Jacked By WIll Smith For Men In Black Sound Track! featuring CO CO from SWV
Charts: POP #2 R&B (didnt chart)
---

HAVENT YOU HEARD- 1980 very upbeat and inspiration love her vocal range here
Charts: POP #42 R&B #7
HAVENT YOU HEARD- 2005 jacked By Kirk Franklin for his gospel Hit Looking For You
Charts: POP #65 R&B #5 Gospel #1
--

YOU REMIND ME- 1982
Not released as a single!!
YOU REMIND ME- 1992
Charts: POP #29 R&B #1
Mary J Blige rework and her FIRST HIT. The hook sounds a lot like Patrice Rushens original. what do you think!!?!?
YOU REMIND ME- 1995 sampled for JR Mafia (featuring Aaliyah) In I Need You Tonight!
not a big hit at all but just shows that people were digging in Ms Rushens crate for inspriation!!
Charts: POP didnt chart R&B #43
this is just an example if you go to Patrice's Wikipedia page you can see a ton of people that remade or sampled her!!

Comments