• twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    (He dead) Yessir
    (Amen) Chuuch
    (He dead) I killed him
    (Amen) ?

That song is on repeat, lol. I saw OG Ron C and DJ Candlestick did a chopped and screwed version of this album... instant download.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    (He dead) Yessir
    (Amen) Chuuch
    (He dead) I killed him
    (Amen) ?

That song is on repeat, lol. I saw OG Ron C and DJ Candlestick did a chopped and screwed version of this album... instant download.

Incredible, didn't know that, I'll try to get it, props! You check for any other independent/underground hip hop?
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited August 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Incredible, didn't know that, I'll try to get it, props! You check for any other independent/underground hip hop?

I ? with pretty much everyone in your sig, lol.

LB and CunninLynguists are two of my favorite groups, as 9th and Kno are some of my favorite producers.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I ? with pretty much everyone in your sig, lol.

LB and CunninLynguists are two of my favorite groups, as 9th and Kno are some of my favorite producers.

lol the sig's a new addition to try and make more people come here… good taste though lol.

Yeah, can't mess with Kno on the boards, even if I don't feel 9th as much as I used to, I have a feeling this may change over the coming year with his current movements in the industry. CunninLynguists are on another level to LB though, in my eyes… but Phonte is easily up there with Deacon and Natti! Just not as big a fan of Pooh.
  • twentyfivelighters
    edited August 2011
    Options
    lol the sig's a new addition to try and make more people come here… good taste though lol.

Yeah, can't mess with Kno on the boards, even if I don't feel 9th as much as I used to, I have a feeling this may change over the coming year with his current movements in the industry. CunninLynguists are on another level to LB though, in my eyes… but Phonte is easily up there with Deacon and Natti! Just not as big a fan of Pooh.

Kno on Oneirology, I loved those beats.

But you mess with chopped and slowed music? I've been a Screwhead as long as I can remember. I did this little chopped and slowed Little Brother mix of "Away From Me" and "Nobody But You" with The Carpenters sample in it as well.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    No doubt i see big things in his future surely an artist worth supporting.

*Salutes*
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Kno on Oneirology, I loved those beats.

But you mess with chopped and slowed music? I've been a Screwhead as long as I can remember. I did this little chopped and slowed Little Brother mix of "Away From Me" and "Nobody But You" with The Carpenters sample in it as well.

Yeah, Kno on everything though lol. You check his solo from last year?

I wouldn't say I mess with it, I have a few chopped and screwed mix tapes from years ago, but anyone experimenting with Section 80 is worth a listen to me :tu

Sounds good :tu
    Ishi wrote: »
    No doubt i see big things in his future surely an artist worth supporting.

*Salutes*

With the exception of the artists who Jay-Z has snapped up, I think he's the hottest artist ready to break from the underground!!! Top Dawg Entertainment should be signed or attempt bigger moves!!
  • The 3mcee
    The 3mcee Members Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks 3mcee! I'm kind of hoping that they'll see the Artist of the Month: Kendrick... from The Reason and stop by... the forum does need more promotion, but then I don't want to spam The Reason. I am thinking of putting The Essence in my signature though... maybe along with this thread. You a big fan of Lamar?

Yeah I've became a fan of this dude because of this site and following J. Cole. I actually got the Overly Dedicated album off this site from someone who shared it. I also seen how much you and others were hyping up Section 80 before it was released. So I listened to a few songs that leaked on this site and from that I bought it on Itunes. I like the guys work and I am looking forward to him and Cole's project
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    became a big fan of bruh, i remember wondering who he was in that jay rock all my life video, lol, but he def makes music i gotta support
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Yeah I've became a fan of this dude because of this site and following J. Cole. I actually got the Overly Dedicated album off this site from someone who shared it. I also seen how much you and others were hyping up Section 80 before it was released. So I listened to a few songs that leaked on this site and from that I bought it on Itunes. I like the guys work and I am looking forward to him and Cole's project

Yeah, I'm more of a fan of Lamar's than Cole's... although I do like J. Cole the more I check for him and may catch a show in the near future as I know he's touring again...

O.D was a good release, but make sure you check out his first EP under his Government name - The Kendrick Lamar EP. That's my second favourite of his behind Section 80... props on supporting him too :tu
    daboyag1 wrote: »
    became a big fan of bruh, i remember wondering who he was in that jay rock all my life video, lol, but he def makes music i gotta support

Lol you a bigger fan of Jay Rock? I'm still not up on the whole TDE camp...
  • daboyag1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nah I rock with Kdot over jay rock, but ab-soul used to rap with one of my homies
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nah I rock with Kdot over jay rock, but ab-soul used to rap with one of my homies

Nice :tu Any releases from TDE that you would recommend checking for over kdot's?
  • daboyag1
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Nice :tu Any releases from TDE that you would recommend checking for over kdot's?

kendrick the best out the group so his stuff is above^^^ , but jay rock's 30 day takeover and absouls long term mentality go hard
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2011
    Options
    kendrick the best out the group so his stuff is above^^^ , but jay rock's 30 day takeover and absouls long term mentality go hard

Props on those recommendations :tu Appreciate it :tu I have the Black Hippy mixtape and I've listened to the odd songs out the camp, but I haven't checked any solo's.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    My HiiiPower remix with added instruments. Better than original. Trust...
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited September 2011
    Options
    I don't get the appeal of this guy. To my ears his voice is horrible and his rhymes are mediocre and below average. I tried listening to several songs and could not connect with any of them.
  • skeep
    edited September 2011
    Options
    That being said- it's just my meaningless opinion. I'll keep checking the new stuff but so far it just doesn't do it for me. Which sucks because it seems like people love this dude.
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    skeep wrote: »
    That being said- it's just my meaningless opinion. I'll keep checking the new stuff but so far it just doesn't do it for me. Which sucks because it seems like people love this dude.

Have you listened to Section 80? Or the tracks that I've posted in my first post? Some of his lyrics are extremely good and he has a way of contradicting his rhymes to sell a story differently than other artists. Try listening to a whole album, either The Kendrick Lamar EP or Section 80; not saying you'll definitely become a fan, but I definitely think you'll appreciate him more... I think he's got some great stories on Section 80... I've never understood the criticism of his voice either; but I know to each their own!
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    How often do we get to see history in the making ? Kendrick Lamar is going down as one of the best to do it. I hope he takes his time with his album tho, I know that sooner or later Dre gonna be giving this ? all his good beats.

Definitely, ever since I first heard him, you knew he was on something else; can't wait for him to bring out an album; but I do think he should stick with the independent lane as he is doing… he has the ability to take his label to the next level… sounds like there's plenty of offers on the table for him too should he go that route, there was a video over at HipHopDX with him recently where he performed this freestyle (below), but he said he'd stay independent for the minute, Top Dawg Entertainment.

Can't find the embed.
  • ImWhiteBoyAwesome
    ImWhiteBoyAwesome Members Posts: 229
    edited September 2011
    Options
    VERY IMPRESSIVE THREAD BROTHER.

Kendrick is the homie, thats the dude who makes me happy to be a hip hop fan, him, J.Cole, Wale, KRIT, all makin excellent hip hop with substance. I see big things for all of them but Kendrick has an entire coast on his shoulders, but he seems to be puttin up with that pressure pretty damn well.

Im a big fan (peep the avi), got all his music as far back as C4, its dope to see his progression with age, dude has everythin right goin for him and he deserves it too....for make such quality hip hop.

He has parts of alot of my fav rappers in him (pac, nas, kweli, kanye and more) but at the end of the day, thats Kendrick Lamar and ridin for him and his music hard out here in Australia. Dude needs all eyez on him.

Dre needs to lace dude already.
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Bumping this album again... undoubtedly album of the year so far. I don't mind what lane he takes tbh as long as the dope music continues. I'd love to see him on some Dre and RZA beats though just to see how that goes
  • salamerican1
    salamerican1 Members Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks to this thread i became a fan

Gave section 80 a spin last night and this dude gots heat

Will check for his 2 other eps definitly
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Options
    VERY IMPRESSIVE THREAD BROTHER.

Dre needs to lace dude already.

I'm unsure as to what Dre will offer him besides a nice pay cheque, personally feel the beats he has right now are the future and Dre is still in 99, at best, in my opinion; we haven't seen a Dre follow up because it isn't much cop. He's no longer spreading the airwaves as he once did. He's not the same producer… until he shows otherwise.

You got people like Dilla who put out tapes constantly, all great material; look at Madlib now as well, he's sub-par to what Kendrick's on at the minute, to me; the beats he picks work REALLY well.
    Bumping this album again... undoubtedly album of the year so far. I don't mind what lane he takes tbh as long as the dope music continues. I'd love to see him on some Dre and RZA beats though just to see how that goes

Agreed, he's definitely taking everything that he has and pushing the bar with each release…

Definitely be interesting, but see my above post, I'm unsure what he has to offer (Dre), apart from a boost in popularity and pay cheque.
    Thanks to this thread i became a fan

Gave section 80 a spin last night and this dude gots heat

Will check for his 2 other eps definitly

Good to know the thread served its purpose :tu

You had a chance to give them all a spin?
  • skeep
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ruff- I gave it all a listen and I really appreciate all of the work you put in. This was a great post and article on dude. I see that he has talent, it's just something about his voice...it doesn't appeal to me. But I will keep checking him and watching his growth as an artist.
  • RuffDraft
    edited October 2011
    Options
    skeep wrote: »
    Ruff- I gave it all a listen and I really appreciate all of the work you put in. This was a great post and article on dude. I see that he has talent, it's just something about his voice...it doesn't appeal to me. But I will keep checking him and watching his growth as an artist.

Good to hear you tried it out :tu

It's a real shame that the voice just doesn't add up for some people, but it's common; it's the reason I'm not the biggest Jedi Mind Tricks fan… or maybe that's just their subject matter :/ I can't decide.

Either way, props!