The Great Return. Decades after the Great Migration. Blacks going home.

Jabu_Rule
Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I thought this was a good read and something that i as a New Yorker am familiar with. I'm uncomfy using the term blacks in general because this does not affect West Indians. They seem to be building a strong hold in the service industry to support white folks (when illegals aren't useful). Gentrification and deprivation of great black cities like Detroit are forcing African Americans\Blacks\Negros\Members of the ancient ? Tribe of the USA; to move back to the old racist south.

This is my take on the cause. Here's an article on Huffiington Post illuminating the phenomenon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/16/blacks-south-return_n_1014381.html

Excerpt from the Article:
Former magnets for black migrants, including Illinois, Michigan, New York and California, all have had black population declines. Atlanta has even overtaken Chicago as the city with the second-largest black population behind New York City. The black population in Atlanta has grown in the past decade by 473,493. In Dallas it grew by 233,890, and in Houston by 214,928 over the same period. Today, 57 percent of the country's black population lives in the South, a 50-year high, according to the most recent census data.

Comments

• truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I aint feeling your choice of words. From what I have read in my studies, those great black cities weren't so great compared to the "old racist south". Racism was everywhere my brotha and it didn't really matter if u were packed in high rise projects up north or living in a shack down south.

But anyways, this is interesting to me and I think losing our presence in northern cities is a step back. I'll check the story out right quick.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited October 2011
    I aint feeling your choice of words. From what I have read in my studies, those great black cities weren't so great compared to the "old racist south". Racism was everywhere my brotha and it didn't really matter if u were packed in high rise projects up north or living in a shack down south.

But anyways, this is interesting to me and I think losing our presence in northern cities is a step back. I'll check the story out right quick.

I never said the North wasn't racist. Don't catch feelings. I did mention gentrification and degradation did i not? Whites are moving us out the hood in North. It's bad enough we weren't getting the wackest jobs or were the first ones to get cut from descent jobs. I know the racism is more undercover in the North.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    The cost of living is getting too high in the north, plain and simple. I'm surprised more Blacks haven't moved from the north and east. I love NYC but the cost of living is ridiculous.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited October 2011
    The cost of living is getting too high in the north, plain and simple. I'm surprised more Blacks haven't moved from the north and east. I love NYC but the cost of living is ridiculous.

A lot of that has to do with gentrification. The cost are artificial or at least the requirements necessary for housing. Much of the cost is a holdover from the shady housing bubble that some many of my black brothers and sisters fed into when they were fiending out for Real Estate jobs. It has always been cheaper to live in the South. There is plenty of low income housing in NYC but you have to maintain a good job to acquire or keep it or live in the most ? up and remote areas.