Stuff black people don't like

2»

Comments

• chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    So here's another legit question, and I don't mean any disrespect by it. If you all have so much knowledge, are you trying to spread it, especially to the youth who need it the most? There are lots of people out there like myself who need it, are looking for it, and can benefit from it. Are you afraid of a black nationalists/black panther-like backlash from the powers that be...?

I spread it by my actions. Im not outside 3am in the morning with gold teeth in my mouth a gun in my waist ? hollering at every chick that walk by and being a nuisance to my neighbor. My neighbors didn't really appreciate that until another family moved in the block over and fulfilled a lot of negative stereotypes. Not saying im better but by my actions or lack of ignorant ones they appreciate me as a neighbor even more. BUT I don't do it for them, I do it for me. I know they can play that lovey dovey role but as soon as I slip up once and get out the gate they gon put me back into that category with the ignorant neighbors. You can't 100% live your life through expectations of others. They human just like you are. Nothing more,nothing less.

It starts with kids too. The kids around here I don't cuss at them like their mothers do, I be nice to them, and encourage them. I don't be preachy though, just take time out sometimes and maybe throw a football or play 50(basketball game) with them.
  • GeeGeeMaria
    GeeGeeMaria Members Posts: 40
    edited October 2011
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I spread it as much as I can and too people around me and I have to develop a platform or empower someone with knowledge to speak sought of like Elijah Muhammad and Malcom X scenario except without the bs. If you want freedom and empowerment you have to go thru the fires of hell to get it and only than would you be free. Oppressors never give anything for free you got to take it from them. That's what the europeans did, they took what they had and never compromised and we have to do the same or we will be still stuck in this ? .

It's funny you say this because i'm actually in the process of trying to develop a platform, I want to start up a blog about the media's portrayal of blacks. Yeah that's a small platform but it's better than nothing and i'm hoping that if the content is good, maybe it will get more attention. I've been doing research and started joining up more black forums (which there don't seem to be a lot of, not good) trying to get different views on the issue.
  • GeeGeeMaria
    edited October 2011
    chilly wrote: »
    I spread it by my actions. Im not outside 3am in the morning with gold teeth in my mouth a gun in my waist ? hollering at every chick that walk by and being a nuisance to my neighbor. My neighbors didn't really appreciate that until another family moved in the block over and fulfilled a lot of negative stereotypes. Not saying im better but by my actions or lack of ignorant ones they appreciate me as a neighbor even more. BUT I don't do it for them, I do it for me. I know they can play that lovey dovey role but as soon as I slip up once and get out the gate they gon put me back into that category with the ignorant neighbors. You can't 100% live your life through expectations of others. They human just like you are. Nothing more,nothing less.

I'm with you 100% on this. I love that. I just can't help but feel responsible for that percentage of black people who don't know any better, that are watching the tv, watching the music videos and not questioning what they're seeing. Buying into it all and emulating it. The ones with the gold teeth on the street corner hollering at me, lol. I'm tired of sitting around not doing anything about it and not saying anything about it. I'm setting a good example but i'm starting to feel like that's not enough.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Ummm yeah, i'm black. It isn't obvious by the pic? Why is my blackness being questioned?

I thought you was latina.....the name doesn't help either
    It's funny you say this because i'm actually in the process of trying to develop a platform, I want to start up a blog about the media's portrayal of blacks. Yeah that's a small platform but it's better than nothing and i'm hoping that if the content is good, maybe it will get more attention. I've been doing research and started joining up more black forums (which there don't seem to be a lot of, not good) trying to get different views on the issue.

Yeah good luck with that, let me know and I'll support! Although I think it'll be better to set up a platform where more positive portrayals are on display rather than speak on media negativity primarily.
  • GeeGeeMaria
    edited October 2011
    I thought you was latina.....the name doesn't help either

Yeah good luck with that, let me know and I'll support! Although I think it'll be better to set up a platform where more positive portrayals are on display rather than speak on media negativity primarily.

Yeah, I have my mother to thank for the name, lol. That's a great tip, thanks!