Racism in England (against South Asians)

Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)

Comments

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I'm from England...Errrm...Not that much public racism against blacks...Obviously people say things behind closed doors, but out loud...Its cool...The captain of the football team was black...Whites don't like Asians though...They aren't violent toward them....Or even too discriminate...But its just accepted that whites are openly racist with each other about Asians...

? even blacks don't like Asians...No one likes them...Only people in the UK got it worse than them are them Eastern Europeans...But that's only coz a lotta them are here illegally
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited October 2011
    In the major cities there isn't too much racism...Especially in London...I suppose that's because most non-whites live here
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    I'm from England...Errrm...Not that much public racism against blacks...Obviously people say things behind closed doors, but out loud...Its cool...The captain of the football team was black...Whites don't like Asians though...They aren't violent toward them....Or even too discriminate...But its just accepted that whites are openly racist with each other about Asians...

? even blacks don't like Asians...No one likes them...Only people in the UK got it worse than them are them Eastern Europeans...But that's only coz a lotta them are here illegally

And why is that?
    his dad got his ass whooped a couple times just for being colored.

There were some kids at a high school near mine who would attack anyone who wasn't White on sight.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited October 2011
    @Huruma

I haven't an issue with them personally...But...People who don't like them will tell ya they came to London and took over a whole bunch of areas...So much so they have their language on posters and that, with English the small print.

And English folk feel that, while you should preserve your culture when movin' to a new country, you should also learn the language and ways of the country you're in...They don't really have an issue with black coz we speak English...A lotta them Asians don't...And where they live in Asian area, they don't feel the need to.

An incident a while back. Some Asian ? in a hijab got on a bus, showin' a photo bus pass...the driver asked her to pull down her face scarf so he could check to see if it was her on the pass...She declined, he kicked her off the bus...then hell broke loose...Protests and the like...they do silly things like that...
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011

Co Sign ^^

Im English and publicily its all good between Blacks and whites, sometimes there are small things here and there, but as a whole its cool.

In England i find that the most racism takes place between Pakistani's and Indians...They hate each other.. Muslim, Hindu related problems.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited October 2011
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Co Sign ^^

Im English and publicily its all good between Blacks and whites, sometimes there are small things here and there, but as a whole its cool.

In England i find that the most racism takes place between Pakistani's and Indians...They hate each other.. Muslim, Hindu related problems.

This is also true...They hate each other more than Nigerians hate Ghanaians
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    This is also true...They hate each other more than Nigerians hate Ghanaians

The only problems ive seen between White people vs... is workers complaining about the Eastern European work force over here. But its no different when Thatcher was PM and most of my city (like now) are desprete for jobs and we all went to Germany for work..

There is hate towards asians, but personally i grew up with many asian mates.
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    @Huruma

I haven't an issue with them personally...But...People who don't like them will tell ya they came to London and took over a whole bunch of areas...So much so they have their language on posters and that, with English the small print.

And English folk feel that, while you should preserve your culture when movin' to a new country, you should also learn the language and ways of the country you're in...They don't really have an issue with black coz we speak English...A lotta them Asians don't...And where they live in Asian area, they don't feel the need to.

I've never understood why speaking a language other than the official language(s) of the country you live in is such a serious offense to people. I've tried to understand it but I don't. I can vaguely understand why an entire poster or sign in a language other than the official language of a country (and the official language in small print at the bottom) might rub someone the wrong way but I just couldn't see myself having the same emotional response, I just wouldn't care. As long as they speak English with people who only understand English/speak it as their first language and are respectful to everyone, I don't see what the problem is.
    An incident a while back. Some Asian ? in a hijab got on a bus, showin' a photo bus pass...the driver asked her to pull down her face scarf so he could check to see if it was her on the pass...She declined, he kicked her off the bus...then hell broke loose...Protests and the like...they do silly things like that...

Even if she was overreacting (which is open to interpretation), I don't see why this would offend someone.

Young-Ice wrote: »
    I like asians.
    Koreans are cool people. (Starcraft >)

did it ever make the news?
    is there moar info on this?

we all know white people probs the most racist anyways thoo

No, it was never in the news or anything like that.

As for White people being the most racist, I'm not sure about that. Past a certain age, I think racism (in Canada/N.America?-outside of the South anyways) tends to be more subtle than overt.
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    well, if you look at history... white people have the worst history with race relations

I think their technological superiority put them in a position to dominate the rest of the world in a way that no other culture has had the opportunity to do so. Arab racism against Black Africans is well documented, so is Japanese mistreatment of other south east Asian cultures ( ie. the Nanjing massacre), African and Native American cultures often waged war on other African/Native American groups etc.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited October 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    I've never understood why speaking a language other than the official language(s) of the country you live in is such a serious offense to people. I've tried to understand it but I don't. I can vaguely understand why an entire poster or sign in a language other than the official language of a country (and the official language in small print at the bottom) might rub someone the wrong way but I just couldn't see myself having the same emotional response, I just wouldn't care. As long as they speak English with people who only understand English/speak it as their first language and are respectful to everyone, I don't see what the problem is.

Even if she was overreacting (which is open to interpretation), I don't see why this would offend someone.

I think that if you're in a new country you should at least TRY and learn the language...But again, I've got no beef with them...Most of the doctors, shop owners and cabbies are Asians...so...Without them we'd be screwed.

And the Asian who didn't take her hijab off...She should've just done it...If it was really her card...I think she was tryna pull a fast one and got caught out
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    I think that if you're in a new country you should at least TRY and learn the language...But again, I've got no beef with them...Most of the doctors, shop owners and cabbies are Asians...so...Without them we'd be screwed.

And the Asian who didn't take her hijab off...She should've just done it...If it was really her card...I think she was tryna pull a fast one and got caught out

I agree that they should try to learn the language but it wouldn't really offend me if they didn't and even if they do, most people are more comfortable speaking in their first language so I could understand their switching back and forth between the two (or 3, 4 etc.). You also said that they're 'allowed' to preserve their culture so I don't see the problem with their speaking their language, as long as they make an effort to learn the official language of their adopted country as well.

As for the hijab, I can understand her not wanting to remove it for religious/cultural reasons even though there are some scenarios where religious/cultural traditions can't be respected (ie. wearing a ceremonial Sikh dagger in a public area if it makes non-Sikhs feel threatened, since a dagger can be used as a weapon and so on) so I can understand her offense even if I don't necessarily view not admitting her as 'racist'.
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    Since when do you cape for white people?

I don't, I honestly can't stand most of the ones I've ever had any kind of interaction with but they're collectively no better or worse than any other group. Their arrogance just seems worse to me because they're as different from me as they are and I live in a predominately White area (I have more experience with ? up White people than I do with ? up fellow Africans, plus, it's easier to forgive people who are 'like' you). Lord knows there are ? up Asians, Indians, Blacks, Arabs, Latinos etc. as well and I've come across countless of them.
    how do you feeel about that woman taking the school system to court over the principle denying her son the right to carry the dagger on school grounds and then winning and all young sikh men being armed with daggers on school grounds?

I don't disagree with the decision, I can't imagine anyone using a ceremonial Sikh dagger as a weapon but I can also understand the concern.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    As long as they speak English with people who only understand English/speak it as their first language and are respectful to everyone, I don't see what the problem is.
    the problem is either:

a) the "as long as" you describe above is not in effect;
    b) some people are just xenophobic, period
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Very interesting thread. I do know Pakistanis and Indians often hate each other, they had a mean civil war that killed millions back in the 60 or 70s
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Very interesting thread. I do know Pakistanis and Indians often hate each other, they had a mean civil war that killed millions back in the 60 or 70s
    i'd like to hear more about this "mean civil war," since as far as i can tell this war you describe didn't happen:

-they didn't ever have a civil war, as Britain divided up the territory between India and Pakistan in the 1940s;
    -they fought in 1947, but that killed about 5000 people;
    -they fought in 1965, but that killed about 7000 people;
    -they fought in 1971, but that killed about 13000 people;
    -they fought in 1999, but that killed about 1000 people

so i think we're a little away from those millions...