Interesting/pointless thread about genealogy/genetics

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Based on what I've read :

-you share exactly 50% of your DNA with each parent (above and beyond the genes that all humans share) and around 50% of your genes with your siblings (maybe more, maybe less, since the likeliness of inheriting the same autosomal DNA is due to 'random' chance and not fixed the way that parent-child genetic relationships are).

-With half-siblings, grandparents and aunts/uncles you share around 25% of your genes.

-With first cousins, half-uncles/aunts and your 8 great-grandparents you share around 12.5% of your genes.

-With 1st cousins once removed (the children of your 1st cousins or the first cousin of one of your parents), half-1st cousins and your 16 greatX2-grandparents, you share around 6.25% of your genes.

-With second cousins and your 32 greatX3-grandparents you share around 3.125% of your genes (with a second cousin once removed and your 64 greatX4-grandparents, you share around 1% of your genes).

-With your third cousins (and 128 greatX5 grandparents) you probably share around .781% of your genes but there's a 10% chance that you aren't any more closely related, genetically, than you would be to a random stranger. It's virtually guaranteed that you share some genes with your 1st and second cousins.

-There's a 50% chance that you're genetically closely related (compared to a random stranger) to a 4th cousin (or greatX7-grandparent).

-There's a 10% chance that you're closely related to a 5th cousin (or greatX9-grandparent).

-It's unlikely that you share any genes (above and beyond what all humans share) with a 6th cousin or greatX11-grandparent, typically less than 2% of 6th cousins do.

-It's virtually guaranteed that you aren't closely related to a 7th or 8th cousin anymore than you would be to a random stranger.

-If the average gap between generations is 30 years, your last closely related ancestor (a greatX11-grandparent, since at least one of them probably shares DNA with you) was probably born around 380 years before you were (did I calculate that right?).

-Third/Fourth cousin couples aren't any more likely to have a child with a genetic disorder than strangers are, in fact, it's easier for them to have children (I'm assuming because they're more closely related but not too closely related).

I just though this was interesting.

Comments

• XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    Based on what I've read :

-you share exactly 50% of your DNA with each parent (above and beyond the genes that all humans share) and around 50% of your genes with your siblings (maybe more, maybe less, since the likeliness of inheriting the same autosomal DNA is due to 'random' chance and not fixed the way that parent-child genetic relationships are).

-With half-siblings, grandparents and aunts/uncles you share around 25% of your genes.

-With first cousins, half-uncles/aunts and your 8 great-grandparents you share around 12.5% of your genes.

-With 1st cousins once removed (the children of your 1st cousins or the first cousin of one of your parents), half-1st cousins and your 16 greatX2-grandparents, you share around 6.25% of your genes.

-With second cousins and your 32 greatX3-grandparents you share around 3.125% of your genes (with a second cousin once removed and your 64 greatX4-grandparents, you share around 1% of your genes).

thats crazy.

so basically kinship doesn't exactly guarantee genetic similarity.

mistake posting this in gns though.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    no wonder cousins were making dozens
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hell yeah. My cuz gettin' SMASHED!
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    Options
    XIII wrote: »
    thats crazy.

so basically kinship doesn't exactly guarantee genetic similarity.

mistake posting this in gns though.

It's virtually guaranteed that siblings, first/second cousins, aunts/uncles and grandparents share DNA (according to Family Finder, an organization that tests autosomal DNA to determine the kinship of different people), just like if you flip a coin 20 000 times, unless you're controlling the factors that might make it land on tails, it's inevitable that it will land on heads, probably around half the time. Third cousins probably share DNA and it could go either way with 4th cousins. 5th and 6th cousins probably don't but they might.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    So not only Huruma is a ? , but he's into ? . I'm not at all suprised.
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    So not only Huruma is a ? , but he's into ? .

That's not true at all.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    That's not true at all.

Dude I know you have a better comeback then that!

Oh and great thread
  • Huruma
    edited October 2011
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Oh and great thread

Very little that Munny and some other posters say warrants a serious response.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

Oh and great thread

Except he doesn't...
  • Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing