Do people with religion live easier lives ?

7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
I'm not religious at all but I think some things might be easier to deal with for people who have some kind of faith.
  • For instance, death of a loved one - "they just believe that they went to heaven"... case closed.
  • Deciding whether or not to be committed - "well the bible says a man and women should be married"... case closed.
  • Whether or not to have the baby - "well the bible says not to have abortions" ... case closed.
For people who aren't religious and have to look at these kind of things pragmatically, these decisions might be a lot harder.

So what yall think - does religion make your life easier ?

Comments

• Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Being not religious makes my life easier.
    I don't worry about sin or whether the decisions I make will affect me in an 'after-life.'
    I don't have a book telling me what to do conflicting with what I myself would want to do in a situation.
    I don't fear for my 'soul,' and I don't have to worry about devoting myself.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    ehhhh it goes both ways i guess
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I'm sure it does for some. They get to look at other people and say, " I'm doing well compared to all these other heathens based on my own morality measuring stick." Then they can put their feet up and cruz through life.
  • Lambent
    Lambent Members Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    7fIG wrote: »
    I'm not religious at all but I think some things might be easier to deal with for people who have some kind of faith.

For instance, death of a loved one - "they just believe that they went to heaven"... case closed.
    They may say that, but a lot of them still suffer from extreme grief.
    Deciding whether or not to be committed - "well the bible says a man and women should be married"... case closed.

The bible may say that, but the majority of people having relationship problems are religious.
    Whether or not to have the baby - "well the bible says not to have abortions" ... case closed.

If anything that complicates the matter, because a lot end up getting abortions anyway, then they be feeling all guilty and ? , I'd say it's much easier for a non religious person to get an abortion.
    For people who aren't religious and have to look at these kind of things pragmatically, these decisions might be a lot harder.

I think it helps some of them live easier lives in the sense that belief in a higher power makes them feel better emotionally.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    This is a good topic to speak about. I wanna read ppl comments on this.

When I was religious I kinda felt life was easier. But I was also a kid with that being said. But now Idk cuz I'm not religious and don't plan on being very religious.
  • raevanaa
    raevanaa Confirm Email Posts: 212
    edited October 2011
    • For instance, death of a loved one - "they just believe that they went to heaven"... case closed.
    • Deciding whether or not to be committed - "well the bible says a man and women should be married"... case closed.
    • Whether or not to have the baby - "well the bible says not to have abortions" ... case closed.

not necessarily.
    i think life with religion was harder for me because as a Christian, you must maintain the belief that no matter what happens to you, ? loves you and he's allowing it to happen for a reason.
    what about children who have to suffer for no reason? Why does ? allow innocent people to be caught in the wake of natural disasters that He created? Why are innocent people killed by ? drivers? etc...

if ? loves his people so much, why would he allow so many of us to suffer?
    When you're not religious, you can just say "? happens" and deal with it.
    But when you believe in a higher power, you start to question ? 's motives, or if he really exists.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Being not religious makes my life easier.
    I don't worry about sin or whether the decisions I make will affect me in an 'after-life.'
    I don't have a book telling me what to do conflicting with what I myself would want to do in a situation.
    I don't fear for my 'soul,' and I don't have to worry about devoting myself.

this is how i feel
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Being religious doesn't mean that part of your brain that analyzes ? is turned off...so no. Life can be just as easy for a ? who has no religion:

-Loved one dies: 'No heaven, no hell. It's like turning off a light switch. They're gone. No better and no worse than when they were here.'
    -Be committed or not: Do I love this chick enough to not ? other chicks? Yes - be faithful. No - Don't
    -Should I have a baby: Do I want a baby and am I ready for a baby? Yes - have it. No - Don't
  • 7figz
    edited October 2011
    I'm sure it does for some. They get to look at other people and say, " I'm doing well compared to all these other heathens based on my own morality measuring stick." Then they can put their feet up and cruz through life.

This is one I didn't even think of... the ones who won't even question or criticize themselves because they feel so self-righteous in their belief.
    True religious people aren't as stressed because they have that faith that everything will be alright...

And this is what I'm thinking. I seen a dude at a funeral actually happy because he truly believed (or so he said) that the deceased would reawaken later on to a better life. Not knocking him, but damn does that make ? easier.
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Being religious doesn't mean that part of your brain that analyzes ? is turned off...

Well this is true, but most religions have something in there about questioning said religion, so logic doesn't even really have a place.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    This is one I didn't even think of... the ones who won't even question or criticize themselves because they feel so self-righteous in their belief.

And this is what I'm thinking. I seen a dude at a funeral actually happy because he truly believed (or so he said) that the deceased would reawaken later on to a better life. Not knocking him, but damn does that make ? easier.

Well this is true, but most religions have something in there about questioning said religion, so logic doesn't even really have a place.

That is not the case in Christianity.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Being religious doesn't mean that part of your brain that analyzes ? is turned off...so no. Life can be just as easy for a ? who has no religion:

-Loved one dies: 'No heaven, no hell. It's like turning off a light switch. They're gone. No better and no worse than when they were here.'
    -Be committed or not: Do I love this chick enough to not ? other chicks? Yes - be faithful. No - Don't
    -Should I have a baby: Do I want a baby and am I ready for a baby? Yes - have it. No - Don't

the bold should have closed teh damn thread
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited October 2011

You're not supposed to question the will of ? ...whatever happens was "meant" to happen...some believe that...but there's nothing saying you can't ask a question about wanting some ? explained to you
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Ignorance is bliss. I'd reckon life is much easier and meaningful when you walk around still believing all dogs go to heaven.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    True religious people aren't as stressed because they have that faith that everything will be alright. Now them half-ass religious folkz is a whole different story cuz they're part time ? .

trill talk...i'm not religious like that, in the sense of seeing it as some kind of competition, who prays longer every day, who is in church more often but i put my trust in ? all the time. a lot of people can't fathom how i stay calm in crazy situations, i don't know but i'm not even scared of death tbh.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    ehhhh it goes both ways i guess

so does Bishop Eddie Long
  • Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Some religious weirdos in Oregon who believe in "faith-healing" over modern medicine just received a 6 year prison sentence for not seeking medical attention for their child who was born premature and died just hours after his birth at home. So, life for them is about to get REAL hard.
  • 7figz
    edited October 2011
    blackrain wrote: »
    You're not supposed to question the will of ? ...whatever happens was "meant" to happen...some believe that...but there's nothing saying you can't ask a question about wanting some ? explained to you

Honestly, I don't find religious folks to be the most logical people.
  • frostyicy
    frostyicy Members Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011

For instance, death of a loved one - "death is a part of the cycle of existence everything must conclude"... case closed.

Deciding whether or not to be committed - "if you're not the commitment type don't be committed"... case closed.

Whether or not to have the baby - "if you don't have the means to support a baby and you'll be a triflin mother, abort" ... case closed.

*shrug*