Do U Think Da Concept of a Higher Being Would still be relevant without literature?

Options
GSonII
GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I really think the bible is too flawed and contradictory to be true and also think that too many other religious doctrines came from the bible for them to be true. Next, I think it is possible that the bible took a lot of stories from other myths. On the other hand, I really wonder if without these documents we would still have so many people believing in any concept of a higher being.

If you have a belief in a higher being did some form of literature play a part in you coming to that point?

Do you think you would have gotten there without the literature?

Do you think so many people would still be clinging to such beliefs without some literature to somewhat have there backs?

Comments

• Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    only in a world without words.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I don't know if you would call it relevance, but the notion of a "higher power" would still exist. We would still want to know if there is someone or some thing greater than ourselves. And just to say that the Bible is the only avenue in which this notion comes from is to fool ourselves. There is something "divine" that we hope to find in even the "non-religious" literature; that some how in finding "the answer", we are somehow made whole or complete...or better for knowing it.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Most pre-literate cultures believe in some kind of a ? but not necessarily a personal, 'moral' ? like the Abrahamic ? or the gods of some other major world religions. The Bemba of Zambia, for example, traditionally believe in ? who is the source of thunder, male fertility and magic but lives in the sky and is uninterested in human affairs (or something like that, I'm basing this on what I've read). In many cultures, it's your ancestors who you pray to for emotional support, not '? '.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    I've been clean and sober for over 18 years - so where ever or whatever that entity is IE Higher Being - I couldn't careless about it's name. I don't go to church and I don't pray.

I agree.....I pray rarely, it's been years since I prayed actually. I'll have the same luck praying to the bag of weed I'm about to roll up compared to the sky being up in the clouds. Scientists have proven this too.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thanks guys for keeping the post on topic. For the one person that says pictures told stories before men wrote of the stories, I guess I should have said any form of printed material, because my point is that the literature serves as some type of proof, just as the pictures would. I understand that the whole concept is you don't need proof which is kinda backwards because why provide any form of truth if it is not needed? Where are those pictures though?