1980's R&B was better than 1990's R&B

waynefan
waynefan Members Posts: 129
edited November 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
I think it had more flavor as in more original compaed to the 1990's R&B.

70's and 1980's R&B I guess had sexual themes but TLC were the worst girl group to ever exist but do you think 1990's R&B is overrated I mean you had instruments at least in the 70's and 80's less rap beats.

Comments

• XIII
    XIII Members Posts: 631
    edited October 2011
    my era is 90s i guess but i don't know any of the major artists during that time period cuz im only a casual fan really. the only two names that come to mind are aaliyah and r kelly who were ok in my book, i don't see the hate.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2011
    waynefan wrote: »

70's and 1980's R&B I guess had sexual themes but TLC were the worst girl group to ever exist but do you think 1990's R&B is overrated I mean you had instruments at least in the 70's and 80's less rap beats.
    iogoj7.gif
  • kuskklassic
    kuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Mary J Blige, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, R.Kelly, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Toni Tony Tone, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Faith Evans, En Vogue, Dru Hill, Silk, Ginuwine, Joe, Maxwell, TLC, UNDERRATED?...huh?
  • soulatlantic
    soulatlantic Members Posts: 346
    edited October 2011
    Mary J Blige, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, R.Kelly, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo, Toni Tony Tone, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Faith Evans, En Vogue, Dru Hill, Silk, Ginuwine, Joe, Maxwell, TLC, UNDERRATED?...huh?

yea exactly! i think it's partly cause i'm a 90's kid but i LOVE 90's r&b more than 80's.
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    I can listen to 90's music alllllll day, especially R&B.

I'm biased though.
  • Sickmindz
    Sickmindz Members Posts: 15
    edited November 2011

Always thought that vocally the 90s was better but production wise, the 80s was better than the 90s. Neither are that much better than the other but I grew up in the 90s and I don't see how the decade was overrated. Not when you had Mint Condition, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, SWV, Maxwell, Mariah Carey, and more. I also respectfully disagree with your opinion on TLC.
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Nah, 90s >>>>.

And how dare you hate on TLC!!!!!

• booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    ITLC were the worst girl group to ever exist

The credibilty of the poster is suspect with this type of comment. there 1994 Crazy Sexy Cool is probably one of the top 25 albums of any genre ever released in the last 25 years!

as for the comparison of 80's vs 90's is VERY CLOSE!!!

80's
    Luther Vandross (whole 80's)
    Keith Sweat (first album Make it Last Forever)
    The debut of GUY Teddy Rileys first group ground breaking
    Rick James (Street Songs)
    Michael Jackson (Off The Wall released Summer 1979 but was hittin in the early 80's and THRILLER and much more)
    PRINCE (he is ? PRINCE)
    Ready For The World
    Full Force
    Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
    Chaka Khan Solo.. She kicked ass

90's
    JODECI
    R KELLY
    En Vouge
    Shai (first album)
    Jagged Edge (underrated IMHO)
    The Debut of Usher.. Nice and Slow Set it Off For him
    Mary The 411, My Life and Till today.. like WHOAAAA

This vote is very close!!! I cant call it.
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I don't like 80's R&B. Quiet Storm baby-making type of music was too slow and boring. New Jack Swing quickly became recycled and unoriginal and besides Rhythm Nation and Poison, there are not many albums of that genre I like.
  • Ludwig
    Ludwig Members Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I think it had more flavor as in more original compaed to the 1990's R&B. 70's and 1980's R&B I guess had sexual themes but TLC were the worst girl group to ever exist but do you think 1990's R&B is overrated I mean you had instruments at least in the 70's and 80's less rap beats.

yoshi_070823b-l.jpg
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    SMH @ not providing examples. The 80s were filled with one hit wonders and 70s imports. Yeah, it had its nice run when it was still weening off disco, but by the mid 80s it all went downhill. And the list of legit artists from the 80s were very short. You had MJ, Prince, Luther Vandross, Teddy P (all 70s imports), Sade, Anita Baker, Freddie Jackson, Janet Jackson, Stephanie Mills and DeBarge. New Edition sucked except Ralph Tresvant, and that New Jack Swing ? almost killed music altogether.

Now the 90s had some bad music, which in hindsight wasn't as bad as the 80s worst. And I agree, TLC sucked. But you still had legit artists making grown music. You had R Kelly, Joe, Donnell Jones, Jon B, 112, Total, SWV, En Vogue, Aaliyah, Toni Braxton, D'angelo, Faith Evans... I could go on even more, but I've already outnumbered the 80s list. I may have overlooked or forgotten some in the 80s, but I bet it still doesn't stack up to the 90s.
  • Sickmindz
    Sickmindz Members Posts: 15
    edited November 2011
    Yeah scroll down bruh. Thread was recently made.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I call ? on this thread.

Now, I'll agree that 70s R&B totally outclasses 90s R&B.

But the 80s? ? outta here.

Other than Little Luther, who was there? New Jack Swing was really like 89, 90, 91.
  • BanjeeFish
    BanjeeFish Members Posts: 308
    edited November 2011
    I like the 80's better because you had to be able to SING back then. I love MJB - but she paved the way for R&B Divas who can't sing all that impressively.
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011
    And you can't blame 80's R&B artists for having short-lived, or unspectacular, careers. Back then, black music wasn't properly supported or promoted by record labels. In the 90's, R&B became Pop music. That is why 90's artists are so easy to remember and have bigger name recognition.

Also, remember that back in the 80's, most people didn't even have access to BLACK RADIO unless they lived in major urban areas. Therefore, a lot of people back then never even HEARD most of the R&B that was out.

More classics....
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    man dope thread these songs take me back!
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011
  • BanjeeFish
    edited November 2011