Republican Voters Easily Influenced by Media?

Options
ustreet_monsta
ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in The Social Lounge
For a group of voters who claim to distrust the main stream media (MSM) Republicans seem to be more easily influenced by it than any other group. Rick Perry became the front runner as soon as the media started talking him up as the alternative to Romney. After Romney ? up it was Herman Cain's turn to get a media bump. A week after Cain got exposed the MSM started talking up Newt and now he's ahead in some polls. On the flip-side theres Ron Paul who has been consistent in his support levels and ahead of everybody other than Romney and the MSM pushed candidate. Would Paul be doing better in the polls if the MSM took him more seriously?

Comments

• whar67
    whar67 Members Posts: 542
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think you have this a bit backwards in each case the candidate rose in the polls which prompted the MSM to pay more attention to them. The media simply goes where it thinks the best story is. (best defined as commercial) As people paid more attention to certain candidate the media paid more attention.
  • ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    whar67 wrote: »
    I think you have this a bit backwards in each case the candidate rose in the polls which prompted the MSM to pay more attention to them. The media simply goes where it thinks the best story is. (best defined as commercial) As people paid more attention to certain candidate the media paid more attention.

You would think thats how it SHOULD work. I'm not a Republican or Ron Paul supporter, but it seems like he's maintained a consistent 2nd or 3rd place in the polls since before Perry even entered the race. On the flipside, the MSM has been trying to push for John Huntsman who has maintained a consistent 2-3% in the polls. What makes Huntsman more deserving of media attention than Paul who was arguably the founder of the OG Tea Party?

I cant embed the video so heres a link to John Stewart addressing this for the 2nd time on The Daily Show:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-why-doesnt-ron-paul-get-his-shot-as-media-frontrunner/
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    What makes Huntsman more deserving of media attention than Paul who was arguably the founder of the OG Tea Party?
    espouses more centrist and/or acceptable policies; doesn't make insane statements or gaffes

that said, since when was the MSM trying to push Huntsman?