Artists you've slept on for a while

BlackAX410
BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Reason
Everyone has that 1 artist tht they barely listened too, avoided or ignored for the longest time for watever reason. For me that artist was Tech N9ne. When I first heard about him I thought he was a devil worshipper who catered to white people cuz he rolled wit ICP nd the juggalos, nd painted his face nd dyed his hair red nd all types of weird ? . Then 1 day I thought i would give him a chance nd while I always knew he had a great flow nd was a good lyricist his content is nowhere near as bad as outsiders think he's one of the most misunderstood underrated rappers of all-time to me just off the strength of these tracks
So reason heads who's tht artist it took u a while to get into?

Comments

• BlackAX410
    edited November 2011
    Damn 0 replies thats how ya'll feel in the Reason guess it shoulda been about Jay or Em
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Lol. Unfortunately, a lot of these cats are sleeping because they're not checking for new artists… seemingly.

Check my thread giving The Reason heads a heads up on artists that they're missing out on: RuffDraft's Rough Draft of Hip Hop
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Tech N9ne turned to the hyphy music. i only like Celcius The Calm Before the Storm, Anghellic, And Absoloute Power from tech, everything else i didnt like too much.

I started listening to Saigon. heard all the hype about him back in the day and never listened until his album finally came out this year

Action Bronson is another
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    llyod banks never really gave him a proper listen. Been listening to him a lot lately.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
  • BlackAX410
    edited November 2011
    llyod banks never really gave him a proper listen. Been listening to him a lot lately.

yea I used to ? wit Banks back on Hunger for more but after a while his voice annoyed the hell outta me i felt ? was too boring hes a quality rapper
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011
    yea I used to ? wit Banks back on Hunger for me but after a while his voice annoyed the hell outta me i felt ? was too boring hes a quality rapper

i just never really gave him a listen because i was disappointed with the g unit album. But one day some one put me onto one of his mixtapes, and from there i started liking him more.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    The Roots...trying to rectify that now.
  • birdcallaveli
    birdcallaveli Members Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    i was sleeping on pill until the mmg album, but then i went right back to sleep lol

i was sleeping on gunplay until i heard him destroy pill on his own song on the mmg album, and now i check for him when he drops something.

kingdom kame just put me on to kos, a canuk rapper. i had heard a few of his songs before and liked them, but i never knew who he was.

one of my boys just put me on to das racist, i had heard of them and thought they were wack like the dude from community, but they are actually pretty nice.

i was sleeping on 2 chainz until the end of the summer, and i ? with him now, hes a good replacement for gucci while hes locked up.

theres probably more that i cant think of because i dont give too many new artists a chance.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I only became a Chino XL fan in like 2005 even though I knew of him I just didnt mess with his ? IDK why till I brought Sway and King Tech Back To Basics CD (Dope ? if you like MC who can rhyme) and he straight killed every verse on that ? became a fan.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Tony Yayo and Im still sleepin
  • Esiam
    Esiam Banned Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Mobb Deep, mainly because of their beef with Pac tbh... Never gave them a fair chance but I bought all their albums in like one year (except for Juvenile Hell) and that was like only 3 years ago, and now they're one of my favorite rap-groups...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Tech N9ne turned to the hyphy music. i only like Celcius The Calm Before the Storm, Anghellic, And Absoloute Power from tech, everything else i didnt like too much.

I started listening to Saigon. heard all the hype about him back in the day and never listened until his album finally came out this year

Action Bronson is another

Action Bronson is going to have to bring some heat and get a lot of people talking because I really don't think I'm going to check for him based on what I've heard already :unno:

Really on Sai? I was his biggest fan back in 2004 lol. I have the physical copies of all his mix tapes from back then… but then he just seemed to disappear, now his subject matter doesn't match with my music tastes…

P.S. Most in this thread will be sleeping on a lot of people in my sig!!!
    focus wrote: »
    The Roots...trying to rectify that now.

Good focus to have focus, you've been around for years on here if I remember the same S/N correctly :tu
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    I only became a Chino XL fan in like 2005 even though I knew of him I just didnt mess with his ? IDK why till I brought Sway and King Tech Back To Basics CD (Dope ? if you like MC who can rhyme) and he straight killed every verse on that ? became a fan.

<<<--- Still sleeping on Chino XL, even though I promised to rectify that a few months ago… I'll finally wake up soon I'm sure, I am a fan of the tracks I've heard from him, but then they're his best tracks so we'll see :unno:
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011

yeah i use to hear about Chino XL a lot. Finally gave him a listen hes dope.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Biggie for me

• nujerz84
    edited November 2011
    yeah i use to hear about Chino XL a lot. Finally gave him a listen hes dope.

Hes from Jersey and Half Rican like me so I should have been up on him but as youngin I like Pac so u know how that go and also I was tired of Chino Fans on the net always talking ? bout Eminem (when to my knowledge they cool with each other) about Em stealing his style (he kinda did) so I was like ? him... but when I copped the CD he ripped every track...

IMO outshined Common, Royce Da 5'9 and Canibus on the songs they did together...

^^ Dope ? ....and pretty much every verse I herad Chino be on he outshines the guest MC mostly...
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011
    yeah agree. That's how i found about chino was on the hit em up diss lol. i was like who the ? is pac talking about.

and i also had some people i grew up with who were big time fans of dude. But i never really understand the Eminem and Xl

comparison, if anything Eminem bit cages style if u know who that is.Movies for the blind has em's style written all over it.
  • nujerz84
    edited November 2011
    yeah agree. That's how i found about chino was on the hit em up diss lol. i was like who the ? is pac talking about.

and i also had some people i grew up with who were big time fans of dude. But i never really understand the Eminem and Xl

comparison, if anything Eminem bit cages style if u know who that is.Movies for the blind has em's style written all over it.

Well With Eminem... alot of people claimed that he took there style... with Chino it was I guess the celebrity disses..
  • Wonderland
    Wonderland Banned Users Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2011
    Styles P only started listening to him in 2002 when his first solo Album dropped
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011
    Well With Eminem... alot of people claimed that he took there style... with Chino it was I guess the celebrity disses..

yeah lol but Chino really goes in. Like this song the punches were dope.
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011

You mean The Slim Shady Alter Ego

But yeah the style for The Slim Shady Alter Ego was mainly influenced by Redman and people like Esham and you could say Cage too

Eminem mostly was influenced by 2pac more than anyone else

Not sure where the Singing influence came from though cos Em been Singing his Hooks from his first Album in 1999 and on a Mainstream level no 1 was really Singing every Hook like Eminem does
  • nujerz84
    edited November 2011

yeah lol but Chino really goes in. Like this song the punches were dope.

Kinda like Em.. Chino XL doesnt give a ? he ? on almost anyone and could care less if they caught feelings (Pac Did though lol)...IMO that album is an Underground Classic.. The difference Chino is more street orientated...IMO CHino one of the few rappers that would lyrically and physcially ? up your favorite rappers..
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011
    Wonderland wrote: »
    You mean The Slim Shady Alter Ego

But yeah the style from that Alter Ego was mainly influenced by Redman and people like ESham and you could say Cage too

Eminem mostly was influenced by 2pac more than anyone else

Not sure where the Singing influence came from though cos Em been Singing his Hooks from his first Album in 1999 and on a Mainstream level no 1 was really Singing every Hook like Eminem does

that horrorcore ? that em did was influenced by esham he said him self. I doubt em even heard of cage before blowing up. They just happen to sound alike.
  • juan travolta
    edited November 2011
    Kinda like Em.. Chino XL doesnt give a ? he ? on almost anyone and could care less if they caught feelings (Pac Did though lol)...IMO that album is an Underground Classic.. The difference Chino is more street orientated...IMO CHino one of the few rappers that would lyrically and physcially ? up your favorite rappers..

yeah agree. I don't see anyone really being able to go at it with chino. I love 2pac but chino really raps circles around him when its comes to lyrics.
  • Wonderland
    edited November 2011
    I think Em's biggest influence was life in general his day to day struggles like growing up in he hood, growing up with out a father, growing up mad poor, growing up with a parent on welfare, being a father on minimum wage, losing his uncle, having a mother that was an addict etc influenced him the most his life basically

He probably the most Personal Artist ever everything he been through he Writes about in his Music