Donatella Versace: "Biggie helped to expand our Brand, he was amazing"

Options
rapmastermind
rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Reason
It seems now a days Hip Hop and High Fashion seem to go hand and hand. Some of the industry Top Emcees are seen at Fashion shows and wearing some huge name brands. There was a time when you couldn't even imagine a rapper being endorsed by someone in the High Fashion industry. Rappers like Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick and Dana Dane had always dressed fly but it wasn't until the Mid-90's when a certain overweight rapper decided to put some of the world's most popular fashion lines in his rhymes that we truely saw the connection begin to florish. Biggie is one of Hip Hop Pioneering Emcee's when it comes to High Fashion and Rap. Pac also got love in that area and even claimed that he put Biggie on to it. All and All the sister and Heir to the Versace empire took time to show Biggie some love in this interview about how he brought the Versace brand to a whole new generation and audience. She even talked about kickin it with Big in Paris, "? In Paris" anyone?, lol. Here's the interview. Also, Crystal, Timbaland and Tommy Hilfiger should of taken notes and embraced rappers shouting them out instead of talking ish:

rip_biggie.jpg

DonatellaVersace.jpg

"I think Biggie was amazing. He came to my shows in Paris many times, and we'd see each other often. He always used to talk so nicely about my family. I think he was so smart, so intelligent. He had such a mind. So I loved what he was doing and how he was giving people a way to know about Versace--I do think he was giving people a way to know about Versace--I do think a lot of people started to know about Versace because of him."

http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/11/30/donatella-versace-says-notorious-big-was-amazing/

"I Put Hoes in NY on that DKNY, Miami, D.C. perfer Versace, All Philly Hoes wear that Machino, every cutie with a ? brought a coogi" - Biggie

Comments

• ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    at least she's honest about the ? . But i still think its dumb for ? to be advertising these brands for free
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    At least they're giving props unlike crystal
  • rapmastermind
    edited November 2011
    Options
    At least they're giving props unlike crystal

Exactly, Crystal had been getting major props from Hip Hop and then they let the racism out. Timbaland owes Hip Hop and blacks a lot for promoting their brand yet the owner said "I didn't make my boots for blacks" or something like that. For a major brand like Versace to come out and give props was cool to me, she didn't have to even say anything. I agree rappers shouldn't be giving free promo to these brands but hey it worked for a lot of rappers. So I guess KanYe was did take a page from Big's book on the fashion tip. I also think of this Pac line:

"Now it's all about Versace, You copied my Style"

LOL.
  • rapmastermind
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Great article on how Biggie changed the game of Fashion for Hip Hop:

http://live.drjays.com/index.php/2010/03/09/notorious-style-biggies-influence-on-hip-hop-fashion/

“versace wear, moschino on my b!tches / she whippin my ride, countin my ones, thinkin i’m the richest!” – “player’s anthem”

"Versace Shades Watching ya, when then grin, i'm in game begins" - "one more chance"
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I put hoes in NY onto DKNY (uh-huh)
    Miami, D.C. prefer Versace (that's right)
    All Philly hoes, dough and Moschino (c'mon)
    Every cutie wit a ? bought a Coogi (haaaaah!)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    It's kinda funny cause Biggie did raise the bar on all the clothing references.

Raekwon rapped a lot about brands too, but he'd be talking about Polo, Nautica, Hilfigger, etc... I knew about that ? .

I had no idea what Biggie was talking about half the time. He was on some other level ? for back then. Now everyone is shouting out stuff like that.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i remember when versace,gucci,lv etc where super exclusive brands ? was on some u have to be rich to ? with that now days ? is different
  • rapmastermind
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Throwback Video. Biggie telling rappers to stop talking about Fashion cause they followed him and played it out:
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Exactly, Crystal had been getting major props from Hip Hop and then they let the racism out. Timbaland owes Hip Hop and blacks a lot for promoting their brand yet the owner said "I didn't make my boots for blacks" or something like that. For a major brand like Versace to come out and give props was cool to me, she didn't have to even say anything. I agree rappers shouldn't be giving free promo to these brands but hey it worked for a lot of rappers. So I guess KanYe was did take a page from Big's book on the fashion tip. I also think of this Pac line:

"Now it's all about Versace, You copied my Style"

LOL.

She should thank Pac.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Versace approached Pac.Biggie rocked that ? cause Pac rocked that first we all know that.
  • MrCrafty
    MrCrafty Members Posts: 1,624
    edited December 2011
    Options
    smh @ pac stans ketching feelings