Co$$ - Before I Awoke - Featuring Aloe Blacc and Production from Exile (2011)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
I recently made a big purchase of Independent Albums (look out for my thread once I get them all), but an album I didn't pick up was entitled Co$$ - Before I Awoke. I've seen this LP mentioned by Satyrone here and checked it out… as much as it sounded dope, I decided to pass on it citing a few more Dilla LP's instead…

Here's a synopsis:
UGHH wrote:
Co$$ will no doubt make some huge waves with a debut album bursting with creativity, unique flow and original, introspective content. The production is remarkably varied, with synth laden melodies merged with dusty loops throughout in a melting ? that includes beats from Exile. The perfect balance has been made with songs that make you screw your face up (see 'Da Meanest' ? . by Exile), and thought provoking, captivating sound scapes (see 'Scriptures' ? . by The Soul Academy). With a beautifully polished intro, 'Risen' brings forth that 'shiver down your spine' music. In typical Tres fashion, 'Spaceman' delivers a laid back west coast sound laced with fly pianos and a hook reminiscent of the classic Dr. Dre or Snoop Dogg bounce. Tracks such as 'In The Wind' give the listener that instant head nod essence. Co$$'s label mate Shawn Jackson adds one of two features to the song with his usual experience and prowess.

Anyone pick this up or listen to it? I imagine I'll cop later this year, depending on the reflections of this thread :tu

Comments

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    yeah havent had the chance to cop yet ive still been bumping his "sleep walking" mixtape. its mos def on my list
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    yeah havent had the chance to cop yet ive still been bumping his "sleep walking" mixtape. its mos def on my list

How's the mixtape? His album comes with a bonus disc now over at UGHH, so I'm more tempted to pick it up… probably will get a bunch of CD's in August…
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bonus disc aswell, im gonna cop that..... These songs are great!

Props for the Drop Draft!
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Nice drops those tracks were dope.

Exile ftw
  • satyrone
    edited July 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    How's the mixtape? His album comes with a bonus disc now over at UGHH, so I'm more tempted to pick it up… probably will get a bunch of CD's in August…

a bonus disc?? dope yet the mixtape is dope as ? . the west coast is just pumping out good music right now and too bad the ignorance on the reason doesnt see that.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    Bonus disc aswell, im gonna cop that..... These songs are great!

Props for the Drop Draft!

No problem, you have Dilla's old AV haha
    Ishi wrote: »
    Nice drops those tracks were dope.

Exile ftw

Yeah, I kinda wish I sprung for it in ways, but now that there's a bonus disc I'm almost kinda glad I didn't. Will cop mid-August.

EXILE! :tu
    a bonus disc?? dope yet the mixtape is dope as ? . the west coast is just pumping out good music right now and too bad the ignorance on the reason doesnt see that.

The Reason's posters never really see much that isn't on Mtv, can't really blame them… they'll catch on eventually.

Bonus Disc:

TR396080CD-3-Bonus_Disc_Front.jpg

TR396080CD-4-Bonus_Disc_Back.jpg
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Co$$ have a solid album on his hand i been meaning to cop this album but Celph Titled and Buckwilds Nineteen Niney Now, Roc Marcino - Marcberg and DJ Quik - Book Of David been keeping me from going back. Here's Coss "Scriptures" off his album Before I Awoke http://www.mediafire.com/?xfysrkf27l3ln1m
  • satyrone
    edited July 2011
    Options
    jus copped the album. havent listend yet but i plan too.
  • RuffDraft
    edited July 2011
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    Co$$ have a solid album on his hand i been meaning to cop this album but Celph Titled and Buckwilds Nineteen Niney Now, Roc Marcino - Marcberg and DJ Quik - Book Of David been keeping me from going back. Here's Coss "Scriptures" off his album Before I Awoke http://www.mediafire.com/?xfysrkf27l3ln1m

I think I'm gonna have to pon de download of the album until August and check back with my thoughts…

Nineteen Ninety Now is amazing!!! Didn't feel Marcberg as much as others and haven't checked the Quik!
    jus copped the album. havent listend yet but i plan too.

Props, check back! :tu
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bump. Haha.

Wanted to know how y'all feel about this album now. It's grown on me, a lot. I've been listening to it through and through during the past week. Can't believe I missed some great songs on here. I love the album. Risen, Spaceman, Only When I Dream, and Love Is are my favorites.
  • satyrone
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Bump. Haha.

Wanted to know how y'all feel about this album now. It's grown on me, a lot. I've been listening to it through and through during the past week. Can't believe I missed some great songs on here. I love the album. Risen, Spaceman, Only When I Dream, and Love Is are my favorites.

this is mos def my fave album of the year by far. i listen to this album daily. from start to finish.Risen,No Allah,Spacedmand,Da Meanest,in the Wind,what i feel are some of my faves.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This is one of my favourites too, I think it's definitely making my top ten releases of the year… can't wait for the thread to see how everyone feels about the year as a whole….

Co$$ is hugely under-the-radar, he's one of those artists that I think people in The Reason would like, yet he's strictly underground in terms of who is in the know.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ri$en has to be in the Essence Playlist of the Year thread…
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Its a good album. I like fashawn and blu more. if these guys all made a group itd be amazing.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Its a good album. I like fashawn and blu more. if these guys all made a group itd be amazing.

Yeah, most definitely, most 3 emcee's from the West would make a nice group right now though!!!

Fashawn's new album in the year has a lot to live up to, will be interesting to see what direction they go with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • satyrone
    edited November 2011
    Options
    this album stays in rotation. yea a group with blu,fashawn and coss would be dope as ? with exile on the boards.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    wow, i need to start looking in this section more often, got damn!!!

Haha, welcome :tu
    this album stays in rotation. yea a group with blu,fashawn and coss would be dope as ? with exile on the boards.

Yeah, that'd be incredible…
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Ri$en has to be in the Essence Playlist of the Year thread…

Definitely! That track's been played the most on this album for me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Definitely! That track's been played the most on this album for me.

Same here, looking forward to making the threads on the 14th!!!