Steve McQueen: 'How can you live in New York and not cast black or latino actors?'

2»

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    nah they had a couple black people walking round friends... at least I noticed

but cosign all that ? about multicultural casting being a necessity when in big cities
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    This is very true however there were no blacks on the show EVER. Not even walking around. Come on, G.

I never watched the show honestly, so I don't know if it's true that there were no minority extras or anything. Wasn't Aisha Tyler a main character on there at one point?
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to walk around NY, and NOT come in contact with a minority

Are you serious family? Like are you serious? The concept was how can you not CAST black actors. Not how can you not have main characters that are only white. If you take a look at shows that film in NY, you have to look at the surrounding areas. The way you can tell some ? is fake, is by the avenue and the time of day. Being from NY I can easily pinpoint some fake casting ? .

There are never any ppl of arabic origins

No hispanics

No asians

No blacks

In fact, the only time you see minorities casted are when the actors get in taxi's. NY is constantly bombarded by foreigners. For everyone to be white and not be SUPER DUPER RICH is a fallacy. C'mon fam how you gonna tell me.....Unless you're a hasidic Jew, you're not living in a white only neighborhood.

This is ridiculous.

no seriously ever, there were never any black ppl....I think joey met a black girl once

I seriously doubt there were never any black extras in the history of the show, but like I said, I never watched it, so I'm going to have to take your word for it.

And calm down, you taking ? way to seriously. At no point have I tried to break down the racial demographic of NY. My point was that in a show about a group of friends, it's not some big sin to have all of them the same race. Most of what you're saying is irrelevant to that point.
  • PiffyHaze
    PiffyHaze Members Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    this proves that racism is alive and well
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I never watched the show honestly, so I don't know if it's true that there were no minority extras or anything. Wasn't Aisha Tyler a main character on there at one point?

I seriously doubt there were never any black extras in the history of the show, but like I said, I never watched it, so I'm going to have to take your word for it.

And calm down, you taking ? way to seriously. At no point have I tried to break down the racial demographic of NY. My point was that in a show about a group of friends, it's not some big sin to have all of them the same race. Most of what you're saying is irrelevant to that point.

I'm not ranting btw....

Lol how is the info irrelevant. How can you film a show in NY and not mirror the actually demographics of the city. Thats the same thinking that gets shows like Friends casted. Thats exactly why all those producers were stuck like *ye shrug* I don't really get the big deal.

Maybe its just cause I live in the most ethnically diverse city in the world. But I find it indefensible to cast anything in my city and make it seem like ppl of other origins don't live here
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I understand about not seeing any minority extras in a show called Friends... but it is possible to have a ciricle of friends thats not diverse at all..but I get what the Director was saying.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    I'm not ranting btw....

Lol how is the info irrelevant. How can you film a show in NY and not mirror the actually demographics of the city. Thats the same thinking that gets shows like Friends casted. Thats exactly why all those producers were stuck like *ye shrug* I don't really get the big deal.

Maybe its just cause I live in the most ethnically diverse city in the world. But I find it indefensible to cast anything in my city and make it seem like ppl of other origins don't live here

The points aren't irrelevant because I wasn't talking about the demographics of the city. I was talking about the demographics of the cast. My point was that there is nothing wrong with no black characters being heavily featured in a show about a group of white friends.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    The points aren't irrelevant because I wasn't talking about the demographics of the city. I was talking about the demographics of the cast. My point was that there is nothing wrong with no black characters being heavily featured in a show about a group of white friends.

that's not disputed, whats disputed how can you live in NY and not "cast" black or latino actors. Never did they say, "how can you line in ny and not have a show revolve around multiracial friends."

we're just splitting hairs at this point