Swimming?

Options
MissLeading
MissLeading Members Posts: 3,316 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Weight Room
Does anyone swim for exercise?

Did you enjoy it more then using the gym equipment?

I've decided to incorporate swimming into my routine and I read that it offers more of a full body workout without the pressure on your joints.

For those who do it, did you notice a faster change to your body in regards to endurance, toning and strength?

How often and for how long?
Thanks

Comments

• Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swimming will be in my regimen as soon as it starts getting cold. I set a goal for myself to do a triathlon by next may, so I plan on starting training for that in February. ? got a plan and errythang. In November, I'm gonna take some classes to become a stronger swimmer.
  • MissLeading
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swimming will be in my regimen as soon as it starts getting cold. I set a goal for myself to do a triathlon by next may, so I plan on starting training for that in February. ? got a plan and errythang. In November, I'm gonna take some classes to become a stronger swimmer.

Lol. That sounds good. Im going to start just to change my exercise routine. I'm a pretty decent swimmer so I'm hoping this will help me attack my problem areas that my other routine couldn't do.

I was starting to wonder if anyone on the IC liked to swim. Lol..

Thanks for the response.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Been swimming since first grade. I was actually on a championship winning squad (NYC CYO) in 2002.

Knocked out a 25yrd in 16 flat in 8th grade. ? would take one breath, on the dive and not breathe again til we touched the wall.

Smh my mom still yells at me for giving it up.
  • MissLeading
    edited August 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »
    Been swimming since first grade. I was actually on a championship winning squad (NYC CYO) in 2002.

Knocked out a 25yrd in 16 flat in 8th grade. ? would take one breath, on the dive and not breathe again til we touched the wall.

Smh my mom still yells at me for giving it up.

Oh wow. That's impressive so why did you stop and do you swim for exercise?

Do you find swimming to be a better workout then using cardio equipment or running?
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Oh wow. That's impressive so why did you stop and do you swim for exercise?

Do you find swimming to be a better workout then using cardio equipment or running?

I stopped cause the team i was on went up til 8th grade (w/e yrs of age that is). We had moved two years prior, to LI, and with the new school district, I would've had to bus out to the school that had a swimming team/pool. I wasn't feeling that idea. So I just shifted all my attention to baseball/football. It was a wack decision honestly. But what kid wants to leave all their friends behind every day to go swim with a bunch of strangers???

If I would've stayed in queens, I would've went to a "powerhouse" football squad and a top notch swimming school with all the ppl I had known since the age of 6. ? was super wack.

But to answer your second question, I honestly used to hate running. But this summer I've fallen in love with running on the track.

I rather run now, because i feel more of full body workout. And I hate the appetite I would get after swimming for hrs. Seriously it makes you want to eat everything in site.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lol. That sounds good. Im going to start just to change my exercise routine. I'm a pretty decent swimmer so I'm hoping this will help me attack my problem areas that my other routine couldn't do.

I was starting to wonder if anyone on the IC liked to swim. Lol..

Thanks for the response.

I don't enjoy it b/c I taught myself so I never really felt confident in my swimming for real. So I'm still admittedly scared of water. I tell people I could swim to save my life, but I don't swim for recreation. But I'ma have to get better cuz I really wanna do a triathlon to say that I've done one.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Yeah.. Swimming is good for resistance.. and building the core of your legs/thighs..
  • 6ft5
    6ft5 Confirm Email Posts: 2,127 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swimming truly is a full body workout the breathing works you out different they any other workout
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swimming is less pressure on the joints generally, there are some movements where this isn't true. The breast stroke is actually pretty brutal on the knee ligaments. Overall, a fantastic form of cardiovascular training.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jameshope wrote: »
    I always do enjoy this.Medically it is proved that its the best exercise to have a solid and active body.Just look at the activation,energy and the body physic of those professionals.I do recommend these specially in youth.Because if in your young age you become the habitual of this then it will give you the benefit in your old life.

Jameshope types like he works for IT in India. Where you from homie?
  • Hadlay
    Hadlay Members Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hi MissLeading,
    I do swimming for exercise and I do 6 days swimming in a week for 1 hour.
    It is great exercise to increase acrobatic capacity,
    It makes heart strong,
    It prevents from obesity, joint problem and heart problems,
    It makes hips, shoulders, arms and back muscles strong.
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I swim once or twice a week to switch up the routine. It's sick cardio and you'll get cut too.
  • Conscious__Nkechi
    Conscious__Nkechi Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I am going swimming today, fortunately it's in a private outdoor pool :)
    I love it, used to do it for exercise weekly but it's not as convenient for me anymore so I just do it for pleasure whenever I can. Great for the core and leg muscles and it gives you an entire body workout. Definitely would do laps on a daily basis if I could.
  • kAjUn
    kAjUn Members Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I use to

Until I found out at a young age people peed in pools

Never again
  • rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I am going swimming today, fortunately it's in a private outdoor pool :)
    I love it, used to do it for exercise weekly but it's not as convenient for me anymore so I just do it for pleasure whenever I can. Great for the core and leg muscles and it gives you an entire body workout. Definitely would do laps on a daily basis if I could.

I've been adding in swim workouts in between my runs and I've grown to love it! I never considered myself much of a swimmer, but lately I really can't get enough of it!
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ya, swimming is a great work out. Good cardio and you will build muscle as well. I just started incorporating it into my work out routine.
  • chilly
    chilly Members Posts: 1,206 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I love swimming but ? a hassle. Mad refreshing though.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best total body workouts..I know a guy I use to train with who lost 35 pounds in three months because his regimen involved swimming (indoors) for one hour after all his workout 4-5 days a week..
  • tarheelman
    tarheelman Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Swimming is GOAT total body exercise. I used to go about every day after work at around 3:00, but with this new flex schedule, working till 6:00, the pool is always packed. I call it the "Liquid Beatdown", cause after I'd get home and sit down, my whole body would feel like it had been in a fight. Good stuff. I wish I could find a good time to re-incorporate it into my workout.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i went from 210 down to 170 in around 7 months. i didn't change my eating habits really at all, just cut out soft drinks. still eat fast food and pizza. ALOT. but anyway, the only thing i do is hit the treadmill for an hour 6 days a week, and swim for around an hour 4 days a week. and i still got muscle definition in my upper body back, i guess its from the swimming cause i haven't picked up weights in well over a year.

oh yea, and i smoke about a pack of cigs every 2-3 days. but once i started swimming, i noticed my lungs must have gotten stronger or something and really helped endurance. I used to only do maybe 5 miles in an hour on the treadmill, now i'm damn near getting 7 miles in an hour. and still smoking right before and right after every workout. i ? love it. i know its bad, but it really hasn't affected my as bad as i thought. at least from an endurance perspective
  • Rexas
    Rexas Members Posts: 3
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think swimming is one of the most effective exercise to reduce the weight of the body. Swimming also give the strength to the biceps and triceps of body muscles.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I know swimming is good, even just treading the water. But i love music when i work out so i tend to not swim very much ha. No motivation in it for me.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    <--- doesn't know how to swim.
  • Byron123
    Byron123 Members Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hey guys,

Swimming is very easy and very effective for the fitness.
    It is good exercise for losing the fat in belly, arms, legs, and thighs.