Hamstring Tightness/Pain

Beta
Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Weight Room
Iight well heres the story, about 2 years ago my hamstring started to hurt for really no reason at al. It hurts when I sit in an L shape such as in a chair or against the wall or even when I'm laying on my back or even standing up or walking for an extended period of time.

I kinda just dealt with it until the beginning of this year. When I went to the doctor he told me that it could be from I think stress on the pelvis or something involving it which is from back issues. Now Coincidentally I do have a lil bit of a back issue with the addition of having Scoliosis(Curved Spine). So the doctor recommended physical therapy which I attended for about 5 sessions in which they gave me exercises to do and Electroshock therapy but neither has worked. So I was wondering if anybody had any tips or anything to offer on this issue I'm having.

Comments

• rapbizla
    rapbizla Members Posts: 86
    edited September 2011
    Well you definitely have to continue to do the stretches regularly, but you may also want to check out a performance center where they evaluate your injury and make recommendations based on your physical therapists and docs suggestions/diagnoses, then they make recommendations for proper supports, shoes, changes you can make to what you do, etc. There is one I know of in the Los Angeles area, but otherwise not sure. That one is called Bauerfeind Performance Center. I'm sure there are others like it. Mainly, keep at the exercises and stretches, it will eventually help.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    Iight well heres the story, about 2 years ago my hamstring started to hurt for really no reason at al. It hurts when I sit in an L shape such as in a chair or against the wall or even when I'm laying on my back or even standing up or walking for an extended period of time.

I kinda just dealt with it until the beginning of this year. When I went to the doctor he told me that it could be from I think stress on the pelvis or something involving it which is from back issues. Now Coincidentally I do have a lil bit of a back issue with the addition of having Scoliosis(Curved Spine). So the doctor recommended physical therapy which I attended for about 5 sessions in which they gave me exercises to do and Electroshock therapy but neither has worked. So I was wondering if anybody had any tips or anything to offer on this issue I'm having.

The poster above me is right in that you should seek some physical therapy for this problem. Your hamstrings attach behind the knees at at the bottom of the pelvis. Given that scoliosis messes with the spine, it can and often does seriously effect the positioning of the pelvis, which is probably why you are having this problem, even when you are seated and they are not stretched out. You're going to need to get some professional help, or go to a massage place that specializes in medical/sports related injuries as they will have staff that are knowledgeable and might possibly solve the problem if it isn't too severe without you having to pay more or get your insurance involved (unless you have good coverage).
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Ahhh appreciate the help guys. I'ma look into everything yall said.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited September 2011
    You may also consider massage therapy and/or a chiropractor's opinion. You may have some kind of tear or scar tissues that need repair.
  • BeesKneesQ
    BeesKneesQ Members Posts: 11
    edited December 2011
    If your hamstrings feel tight, you need to stretch it gently for atleast 30 seconds...

As far as pain in hamstrings with standing, walking etc...is it just your hamstrings? Do you have pain anywhere else in your legs? Is it just one or both legs?If its pain(sharp tingling or radiating pain) in your legs as well as your hamstrings, it could be sciatica or even a herniated disc...

If its pain in just your hamstrings, then it could be a strain or an contusion of the hamstring, in which case ice, stretching, and cross friction massage (massaging perpendicular to the h/s muscles), and if you are doing Physical Therapy, then ultrasound...
  • Madbeats
    Madbeats Members Posts: 544
    edited December 2011
    After checking with the doctor, you also may want to consider working your core frequently to strengthen it. It will help your back, which will in turn help your hamstrings.