The Hot Beat Dilemma

Options
alissowack
alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in Fresh Produce
Being a low budget producer, I don't have the privilege of taking advangtage of equipment that can aid in the process of not only making my mixes good, but also mastering them so that my kicks are punching you in the chest, the snares are slapping you in the face, the hats are stabbing your eardrums and the melodies are invading the soul. But I have to wonder if we are way too depended on a beat being "Hot" in order for it to be good?

I like to think there are producers out there that have an ear for music and if you take away the "hotness" of a track, you would still find yourselves impressed with how it sounds. These producers just may have unique music influences that capture things that mastering just can't do on it's own. You can almost sense a direction they are going or you feel something through chord progression and instrumental arrangement.

Sure, when you present music to the public to hear it's gotta be correct and everything is mixed and mastered, but does it make it good?

Comments

• midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I dont really get what you're saying here....

www.soundclick.com/tbkbeats

^^^^^^^
    THE HOTTEST BEATS YOU'VE EVER HEARD. PERIOD.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I mean that nowadays, it isn't about musicianship. It's about how good your engineer is. An engineer can mix and master your beats to where it hits hard in the trunk or in the club, but that engineer can't keep it from being wack or make it any more appealing to the ear. Not saying that it is ultimately bad, but music software can keep you from being creative. Music isn't challenging anymore to me.
  • winkwestwood
    winkwestwood Members Posts: 19
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You can't look at it like that bruh. Music is music period. Creativity trumps everything else. You don't need expensive equipment or software to bang nowadays. Hell, Soulja Boy and Boi 1-da made some of the hottest ? with inexpensive programs/equipment. You can't worry about what others are doin cuz that limits your creativity.