The Black Community: Taking control of Its destiny.

Options
PPLSIntiative
PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
edited December 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
As individuals within the Black Community, what things can we do to turn the Community around? I know that the idea of a singular Black Community is as simple minded as referring to Africa as a single country; different communities have different strengths and weaknesses. Each of you who view this post, in your community, what sort of actions can you partake in to begin or continue the process of change?

What are some proactive solutions that the Black Community needs to aggressively seek on a national level, state level, and local?

One of the activities I was involved in for a time was after school tutoring, and extended learning programs. A lot of Chicago Public Schools on the westside have a definite resource deficit. I work to change the inner perception these teens have that they are not book smart, especially among males, and I work to change that goon mentality.

One of the solutions I believe that Blacks need to pursue on local levels across the nation is to regain control of their local economy. Open up stores that are Black owned, and where the owners reinvest money back into the community. A lot of stores in Chicago Black hoods are Arab owned. They don't have nearly the concern for Black people as we should have for ourselves. Black store ownership would significantly solve problems regarding Black unemployment, especially for those who don't pursue college degrees. Black store owners can hire locally, thereby creating a recycling of dollars earned and spent.

Black owned stores also create local bureaus that have the resources to sponsor/fund community events especially those that involve children. Park district sports teams, community rec centers. These businesses can also tie into the community by donating to local charter schools. Charter schools are a whole different topic, and I hope someone brings it up.

Comments

• ustreet_monsta
    ustreet_monsta Members Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Here's one paragraph from a black woman regarding the title above - PPLSIntiative,feel free to show your intelligence and explain away IE why white people should be held responsible for things they've NEVER DONE.

A number of whites have questioned whether they should feel guilty about racial discrimination solely because of their skin color. They note that not only should they as individuals not be blamed for racism but that even as a group many whites are not that much better off than their black brethren. In his book The Redneck Manifesto author Jim Goad argues that the so-called rednecks - the white working class often portrayed as the bastion of racism in North America - a.) don't possess any more social power than blacks and frequently find themselves in the same economic position as the latter, and b.) are descended from people who didn't promote and perpetuate institutions like slavery and Jim Crow laws because they themselves were oppressed by the same individuals - generally rich whites - who did.

Right, but thats cuz race is and has always been used as a wedge issue in this country. The White working class is notorious for supporting positions that benefit the White non-working class. In fact, the Republican party has been riding on this since the creation of the Southern Strategy, which was racial in nature. So while, rednecks get the blame for racism, in 2011, they don't have the power required to call it racism. The correct word would be bigotry, which is still rampant on this site and in the world in general.

Also, White people tend to have a distorted view of how well off they are in comparison to the average Black person. All you see on TV are well off minorities: athletes & entertainers or criminals and thugs. The reality is that the median wealth for single Black women is $5 and wealth in the Black community has fallen to its lowest levels since the 80's.

I agree that there needs to be more personal accountability within the Black community, but there are also more alarming issues of institutionalized racism and exploitation that perpetuate the negatives. As long as minorities are being incarcerated at a higher rate than other groups and being targeted with predatory lending practices there isn't a level playing field. You can't wish away a system setup to destroy a community just because you personally aren't the one responsible for it.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Here's one paragraph from a black woman regarding the title above - PPLSIntiative,feel free to show your intelligence and explain away IE why white people should be held responsible for things they've NEVER DONE.

A number of whites have questioned whether they should feel guilty about racial discrimination solely because of their skin color. They note that not only should they as individuals not be blamed for racism but that even as a group many whites are not that much better off than their black brethren. In his book The Redneck Manifesto author Jim Goad argues that the so-called rednecks - the white working class often portrayed as the bastion of racism in North America - a.) don't possess any more social power than blacks and frequently find themselves in the same economic position as the latter, and b.) are descended from people who didn't promote and perpetuate institutions like slavery and Jim Crow laws because they themselves were oppressed by the same individuals - generally rich whites - who did.

Slick, I'm going to be as nice as I can. This thread has nothing to do with you. You're not Black, and most likely don't even live around Black people. This is our discussion Slick keep out of it. The right to Destiny, is mainly the ability to self correct and improve without outside interference (your dumb white ass) stay out. From this point forward poster heyslick is no longer part of the conversation, please ignore him as I will
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    only a racist troll would come into this type of thread and talk about out of wedlock birth rates...

Sboogie, I'd like to stay on topic, what do is your opinion of the solution I presented regarding the Black Communities economic base? Feel free to add any other point of point of attack to this solution oriented thread.
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited December 2011
    Options
    We need to choose a model for the type of "community" we would like to be...
    we need to agree on a set of values that we want to follow and pass to future generations...
    we need to promote cooperation and collective efficacy...
    we need to be organized as to maximize our political and economic resources...

This. We're some of the biggest consumers in America representing 1 trillion dollars in buying power. We have to be able to leverage that into better representation and more equality.

Improving our social conditions would do more for us than that slick undercover eugenics talk.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    we need to agree on a set of values that we want to follow and pass to future generations...

In order for the last two to come about. The NAACP needs to be removed as a national mouthpiece for Blacks as well as the rainbow Push Coalitions and the National Black Caucus. These organizations are too caught up in politics and legislation, the grassroots community building has been replaced with career politicians.

There needs to be several of these grassroots coalitions formed that have concrete agendas, it can be something as small as providing after school tutoring or providing a free breakfast program for children. Whatever it is, it should be something that directly ties into the community where the organization is founded.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This. We're some of the biggest consumers in America representing 1 trillion dollars in buying power. We have to be able to leverage that into better representation and more equality.

Improving our social conditions would do more for us than that slick undercover eugenics talk.

Blacks have massive consumer power, but it is not utilized because we spend all of our dollars outside of our community. I believe we should focus less on trying to turn consumer buying power into legislation power and turn it instead into communal self preservation. Open up Black owned clothing stores, furniture stores, grocer.
  • algotthatflow
    algotthatflow Members Posts: 32
    edited December 2011
    Options
    In all honestly, what do you want to benefit from taking control of "Its" destiny..? What goal do you want to accomplished that hasn't backfired since black people have been given the opportunity to stand up for themselves legally or whatever.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    we also need to replace churches with organizations that actually do something...

Churches have their place, I believe spirituality strengthens a person in hard times. Back in the day churches were the meeting place of Blacks because there were no other communal gathering posts.

it's hubris to attempt to replace the church, but a more efficient secular organization can be developed. If we were to address the physical needs of a particular community you would then have a space that doubles as a forum. The most important step is finding out what a particular community needs. It's a tall order because where I've worked the needs are many. Jobs, rec centers, after school programs. It's why I believe the most basic thing each community can have is a breakfast program for children. It targets the most basic need. There are a lot of children out there in school who are hungry, for many school is the only place they can get a meal of substance.

Feed a person's body you can then get them to open their mind.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The Black community, for one, must be more responsible with the choices we make. Not having kids with irresponsible people and having kids one cannot afford is a crucial one. The other is a stronger emphasis on education. Many of us are doing this but too many of us are raising kids who don't value education as much as they should. Teaching them by example is another. We also have to try to buy more from Black owned businesses, I definitely do so as often as I can. We can build a more stable community as long as we look out for each other in any way we can, financially and emotionally.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Heyslick seems to care very deeply about what is going on in the African American community, I'm very touched.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    yo, I'm currently studying a neighborhood that is crime ridden... it has close to 60 churches.... they take up space and take money from gullible old ladies while providing nothing worthwhile...
    talk all u want about spirituality, that ? seems to be a waste of time as far as tangible things that the community needs... they need to be held accountable

powerful post @ the bolded

and even though cuzzo is trolling, he has a valid point about the multiple kids out of wedlock

the problem tho is that issue is trivial compared to the structural problems that lead to so many children being born out of wedlock in the 1st place
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2011
    Options
    yo, I'm currently studying a neighborhood that is crime ridden... it has close to 60 churches.... they take up space and take money from gullible old ladies while providing nothing worthwhile...
    talk all u want about spirituality, that ? seems to be a waste of time as far as tangible things that the community needs... they need to be held accountable...

Hate to say this but I agree....
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    let's keep it real, HeySlick is talkin dat ignant cracka ? as usual but.....
    STOP having so many babies you can't ever/WON'T take care of

this is real talk

if ya can't feed ya baby (yeah yeah)

then don't have a baby (yeah yeah)
  • ustreet_monsta
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    let's keep it real, HeySlick is talkin dat ignant cracka ? as usual but.....

this is real talk

if ya can't feed ya baby (yeah yeah)

then don't have a baby (yeah yeah)

If people fix their mindstate and economic position the out of wedlock birth rate will go down. Its a symptom of a larger issue but not the cause.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    so this is the part where i say "hey, this should have been posted in R&R" and move it
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Yey but White pastors with well-to-do Blacks in their congregation, need to be held accountable, far worse than any Black Rev. In the 'Hood

...on avg. White pastors have more clout more resources in America, than Black ghetto-Reverends, so they have a responsibility to teach their congregations. Yep, White pastors need to stick their necks out far enough and deal with the issues of justice and to deal with the issues of what’s proper and what’s right in America

The problems extend beyond the power of most pastors, and to be honest most pastors and are not always appealing to the youth. Movements and community development have to appeal to the youth because they are a source of strength and untapped energy. Which is why I stated that any movement needs to begin with a grassroots community organization. The most efficient approach are programs that address the immediate needs of school children. Clothing drives, breakfast programs, sports programs. Many communities have these things but these organizations rarely link up. On the westside in Chicago, there are so many after school programs and activites geared towards children, but they are uncoordinated, underfunded, and headed by individuals who don't know how to compose a solid business model for running an organization.

Besides Community organizations, one of the main concerns that should be addressed is education or lack there of. Public schools are failing school children nationwide because states under prepare them to compete on a global level. Black communities need leaders that will strongly advocate the development of charter schools, more charter schools in these communities. Charter schools that don't simply select the best and leave the rest but offers superior education methods and resources to all children within that district.
    Charter schools can control their own curriculum and teachers have more liberty than in otherwise state regulated facilities.

Currently, charter schools take their pick of the litter without much investment in children with records of problems. If Black community leaders advocate for more Charter schools, this would increase the overall amount of spaces available, and subsequently take control of education of of state officials hands. Teaching and learning will stop being a bureaucratic game and actually benefit students.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    You bought 30 years to late B.? should have been down back in the late 70s early 80s.The black community is forever ? up now thanks to ? ,gangs and low education.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Quitter post ^
    Can't quit something that was never started.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Look B, I'm hating the fact that this is becoming another Heyslick dominated thread. he's says some outlandish trollish ? and people feel the need to respond to it. Slick doesn't get his jollies from being right, he gets them from being able to dictate where a thread goes. So please, I ask all of you ignore this fool. Slick has got nothing to do with the Black community so he's not even a factor, equation, nor a solution. Ignore him and his ? , and when he sees no one is paying him attention or requoting his ? he'll have to go away. Let's stay on thread topic, and what a goof ass white boy thinks aint it.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    yes, this is indeed some true and powerful scholarship, but...where did you address the reality that White Pastors with affluent Blacks in their congregation....needing to be held accountable for staying silent on Inequality??

No matter how the youth feel, White Pastors STILL have THE MOST clout and esteem in the big cities, COMPARED TO ghetto-church's Reverends.

And so, they are the one's who can best connect with the "outside, racist FORCES'" which help subjugate Blacks, as a whole.

I'm saying you can't count on people in a lot of churches. You can't count on middle class or upper middle class people because they fear losing what they have. There needs to be a leader in these communities that can command the poor like a general commands his troops when they have no place to run. They'll fight because they have to.

Many spiritual leaders have been and are criminally silent when it comes to matters that effect the Black community, but it is folly to attempt to separate people from their spirituality. It's the most I can do to address it, because no matter what community leaders must find their way to the hearts and minds of the youth.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    bump. SMH at people who love to complain about issues but stay silent when it comes to bringing solutions. Teeth and tongue find problems, blood and sweat make solutions.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    May Peace be upon you and your family Brother PPLSIntiative and May Yah look over you and the ancestors continuing guide us.

A GREAT THREAD

I think we need to look to our past and understand how and why our ancestors lived a peaceful and rich and blessed life and had a strong house hold of MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN. EDUCATION AND LIFE SKILLS, RESPECT FOR OUR ELDERS AND MAN AND WOMEN KNOWING THERE ROLE WITH KEEPING THE MOST HIGH FIRST, we need to have the ? to tell other communities to stay the ? out of our issues and build within. All the cowards, lazy as people need a real history lesson and know who they are break that spirit from years of oppression and if they choosed to act silly, do what the ancestors did kick they ? out the community until they get some sense and welcome back with open arms when they ready.

Brother Chancellor Williams had a chapter about this issue in Destruction of Black Civilization : Great Issues of a Race from 4500 B.C to 2000 A.D., i need to find my book and re-read that chapter. Because that's the blueprint which The Tanach teaches

and another thing i firmly believe we need to stop division on different view points in the black community. Like if we took Booker T Washington philosophy and combine with WEB Dubois we will be alot further.
  • PPLSIntiative
    edited December 2011
    Options
    In the real world sweat and sacrifice equal success. You and yours don't seem to understand that simple principle. OH me forgot....you be so damn smart you got ? all figured out....never mind.

EDIT IMO you're a toned down version of this man {below)....nobody can sit in church for over 20 years and tell others that his ideologies aren't/weren't influenced by this radical...IE BLACK Liberation theology. BTW you and Osiris7 love to say this: you better fess-up WELL Rashlaiff (sp) you better start fessing up.

Reverend Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr.
    Trinity United Church of Christ
    and Black Liberation Theology

I do believe in Black Libertation theology. I'm not toned down nor watered down. I just have a stronger focus on the Black Community (self) rather than wasting energy on venting anger to uncaring white masses.