The Most Exciting PlayStation 3 Games of 2012

joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in IllGaming
IGN's PlayStation Team ranks the most anticipated games of the year.

It's a new year, and that means there are a bevy of new games coming out in the months ahead. Rather than just rant about what we're excited for on Podcast Beyond -- the No. 1 independent PlayStation podcast -- the IGN PlayStation Team went into a room and ordered its picks for the most exciting games of 2012. We began with a list of every game coming out this year, trimmed it, and voted. These are our ordered choices and why we can't wait to play them. Sound off with your list in the comments below.

Comments

• joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    the-last-guardian-20110301105937451.jpg

What We Thought
    greg_badge_1282856352.gif

I used to be excited for The Last Guardian because it was coming from Team ICO and I wanted to see if the studio had another classic up its sleeve. Now -- after the creator leaving Sony, the executive producer quitting, and pre-orders being cancelled -- I'm just excited to see how this game ends up. Will it be a hit or a Duke Nukem Forever bomb? We'll know soon.

clements_badge_1282856308.gif

While I lack the same love for the original Ico as many of the PlayStation devoted, I do cherish Shadow of the Colossus and I want to see those developers reach for something great on the PlayStation 3. As Greg mentioned, the trouble plaguing Team ICO sparks uncertainty in the whole project, but I have faith that Last Guardian will still impress us, if not surprise us, after its long development cycle. I know I'll tear up at some point while I play, and not out of disappointment.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    journey-20110531050605998.jpg

What We Thought

Few games do so much with so little. The team at thatgamecompany -- a small group of talent -- tells incredible stories and paint pictures of beauty with a minimalist design. Journey dazzles from the moment you hit "start," and the precise usage of music and sound promises an emotional quest through the desert. This is one PSN download you should ready your wallet for.

colin_badge_1282856333.gif
    After playing flow and Flower, somewhat nebulous affairs that are more experiences than games, it's fair to say that underestimating what thatgamecompany is capable of would be a major mistake. Like the games that came before it, Journey is gorgeous and seems primed to deliver an experience unlike anything you've ever played. It could very well be the most important PSN exclusive of 2012.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    e3-2011-sly-cooper-4-thieves-in-time-screens-20110606074338006.jpg

What We Thought

I dug the Sly games back in the day and put in some hours on The Sly Collection, but I've been ready for a new adventure for a while. Now, we're getting it, and Sly's ability to don suits and jump through the ages seems pretty cool.

The Sly Cooper trilogy on PlayStation 2 was devised by none other than Sucker Punch, the Sony-owned studio responsible for Infamous. What makes Sly 4 so fascinating isn't only how good it looks and how it seems to play like a true Sly game, but that it's being developed not by Sucker Punch, but by Sanzaru Games. Sly 4 appears to be one of those games that will sneak onto the PS3 quietly only to bludgeon you in the head with its rock-solid gameplay.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    tomb-raider-20110606002400609.jpg

What We Thought

Once I saw the E3 demo for Tomb Raider, I was sold. Lara looks like a real woman, the adventure sections look tense and exciting, and the idea of fighting for survival on this island has my attention. The gameplay I saw seems like the Uncharted-type of game I truly dig.

Echoing Greg's sentiments, the Lara Croft of this Tomb Raider prequel/reboot looks more endearing and more relatable than any iteration of her character in the past. The developers at Crystal Dynamics have truly grown over the years and I suspect Tomb Raider will mark their greatest work to date. Anyone with even a passing interest in the franchise should keep this one in mind.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    first-look-ni-no-kuni-ps3-20100624081819057.jpg

What We Thought

I didn't need much convincing on Ni No Kuni after watching this trailer. Besides its astounding beauty, Ni No Kuni promises a family-friendly adventure which I find refreshing from time to time. And after spending a few short hours with the Japanese version of Ni No Kuni, I'm more excited than ever to enjoy the final localized product.

What has me most stoked about Ni No Kuni isn't the pedigree of Studio Ghibli or Level 5, but rather that these renowned studios got together to make something that brings me back to my younger days as a gamer. The game looks beautiful, to be certain, but it also seems to deliver an awesome, old-school JRPG experience -- one that I absolutely crave these days.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    twisted-metal-ps3-20100615033354371.jpg

What We Thought

Want to know why I'm excited for Twisted Metal? Calling All Cars. Yes, Twisted Metal has quite the history, but I never really played the originals and instead cut my teeth on car combat with David Jaffe's PSN download Calling All Cars. Now, I'm ready for the over-the-top violence of Twisted Metal to meet the online fun that was CAC.

Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe may be crazy (Editor's Note: love you, sir!), but that just makes his passionate exploration of online combat more exciting. The team at Eat Sleep Play knows car combat inside and out, and this installment of Twisted Metal should include the most robust, balanced, long-lasting mechanics the series has ever boasted. Twisted Metal will make Valentine's Day 2012 highly entertaining (Editor's Note: love you, honey!).
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    mass-effect-3-20110504113831526.jpg

What We Thought

What is there to say about Mass Effect 3 that hasn't already been said? BioWare is a master of the western RPG, as proven by Mass Effect and especially Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3 promises to continue that trend. While I couldn't be any less excited about the inclusion of multiplayer in the series, Mass Effect 3's single-player campaign is bound to keep me too busy to care.

Do you want a sweeping science-fiction narrative centered on a hero of your creation? Do you want battles filled with spectacle and choice? Do you want a nearly unparalleled dialogue system that embraces experimentation? If you answered "yes" to any or all of these questions, then you want Mass Effect 3. How convenient!
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    grand-theft-auto-v-20111102095045815.jpg

What We Thought

I'm a Grand Theft Auto devotee. I loved Niko's story in GTA IV and still talk about agonizing over the final choice in his story. I'm ready to have that experience again in whatever tale GTA V has up its sleeve. We know very little about it, but it doesn't matter when it's a series I admire this much.

It's true that we know precious little about GTAV, including whether it's coming out in 2012 at all. But ever since Rockstar unleashed its introductory trailer, I can't help but be excited. C'mon, it's a new Grand Theft Auto game, a new reason to sink a hundred hours or more into an amazing sandbox experience that only Rockstar could deliver. What is there not to be excited about?
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    bioshock-infinite-20111206100400428.jpg

What We Thought

When IGNers first saw BioShock Infinite, they came back to the office raving about it, and I didn't really understand why. Then I saw it and wouldn't shut up about it. The game's beautiful, I felt connected to the characters just by their conversations with each other, and riding zip-lines looks like a blast.

I'm in the same boat as Greg. At first glance I thought BioShock Infinite had promise, but I had little personal interest in playing it. After seeing it for myself, my brain could barely process the sheer amount of greatness at work on screen. The visuals and zip-lines look fantastic, but Elizabeth's time/space distortion takes the very nerdy cake.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2012
    the-last-of-us-20111211004510964.jpg

What We Thought

We've never seen The Last of Us in action, and we have no idea how the game will play. But it doesn't matter. It's a new title from Naughty Dog (developer of Uncharted), it's set in a post-apocalyptic America, and the trailer made it seem like we'd be getting another game driven by story. No wonder this was the IGN PlayStation Team's unanimous pick for the No. 1 slot on our list.

As IGN's resident post-apocalyptic nerd, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone around these parts more excited about The Last of Us than I am. Then again, just about everyone has cause to be excited, because Sony's premier first party studio, Naughty Dog, is handling development. We don't know much about The Last of Us yet other than that it's beautiful, and we can only hope that 2012 will give us what we crave. Unfortunately its release date has yet to be revealed.

Colin may dominate the IGN office as the biggest "post-apocalyptic nerd," but I'm right behind him. Any story set in such devastated terrain catches my interest right away. And because the developers at Naughty Dog display an almost superhuman talent for building provocative game worlds, you know The Last of Us will delight us in the most brutal way possible.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    the last of us looks tough
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    http://www.thief4.com/

I'm telling u cats, Eidos been working on part 4 ever since part 3 dropped on the og xbox/pc.....? gonna be a horrifying stealth game
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    didnt like the any of them until #5 tbh.