AMC set to make a goodfellas tv series?

Options
Max.
Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
After a string of critically acclaimed TV successes. "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead," AMC is looking to add another hit to their lineup -- "Goodfellas," the TV series. Tony Soprano, who?
In 2010, it was reported that Martin Scorsese would join the project, along with the film's original producer Irwin Winkler and writer Nicholas Pileggi, who would write the television script. Pileggi wrote both the script for 1990's "Goodfellas" as well as the novel, Wiseguys. The idea was pitched to HBO, home of "The Sopranos," years ago and the series would follow Henry Hill's time in the witness protection program.
Now, Deadline is exclusively reporting that AMC has officially backed the series, putting the project into development. No word yet on the premise of the show.
"Goodfellas" wouldn't be the only successful film to get a TV reboot. The 1970 cinematic hit "M*A*S*H" spawned one of the most critically acclaimed television series in history, "M*A*S*H," which aired from 1972 to 1983. In more recent years, the 2004 sports drama, "Friday Night Lights" got the television remake treatment, leading to another critically successful, although ratings-challenged, series of the same name, "Friday Night Lights." Most recently,the 1993 legal thriller "The Firm," starring Tom Cruise, got a TV adaptation nearly 20 years later. Josh Lucas is starring in NBC's "The Firm," which recently premiered to dismal ratings.

Thoughts??

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    goodfellas is my favorite movie of all time so i'd hate to see it tampered with in any way, shape or form. but if scorsese signs on to help out then i can't do ? but welcome it with open arms & give it a chance.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If Scorcese is involved, that ? might be pretty good. AMC is on a good streak already.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would give it a chance, I would like for it to go into detail on things the movie left out;

John Gotti was the one who off'd Tommy D (Joe Pesci)

Pauly having a affair with Henry's wife

among other things I apparently forgotten