The Rise of Wii U in 2012

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in IllGaming
It's time for Nintendo's new console to truly debut.

Technically speaking, Wii U debuted in 2011. After plenty of leaks, rumors and speculation, Nintendo unveiled the touch-based controller for its new console alongside a basic outline of its intent for the future. The message? While casual gamers were still very much on the publisher's mind, it wanted to recapture the ? market and the types of games that attract that audience.

Nintendo had a great press conference at E3 2011, but many critiqued the company for not answering enough questions. That the publisher intended to only tease its new system, clearly holding huge details for 2012, didn't necessarily matter, largely because its current console was an afterthought in the eyes of many. What about the launch titles? What about pricing? A release date? Online infrastructure? Would the games demonstrated in the sizzle reel really matter in 2012? Would gamers only care about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, even if it hadn't even started development yet?

The questions outnumbered the answers that were given, and this was compounded by the fact that Nintendo's reveal focused too much on the controller and not the console itself. Toss in a name that was awfully close to its predecessor and the messaging got mixed - many assumed the Wii U was simply an add-on peripheral for Wii.

the-rise-of-wii-u-in-2012-20120110021110915-000.jpg
Only showing the Wii U controller at E3 invited unnecessary confusion.

That is why 2012 is in many ways the true debut of the system. What matters most to gamers has nothing to do with what was shown at E3 2011. The 3DS's launch proved lackluster when it failed to offer enough compelling software, failed to secure a reasonable price point, failed to have a full digital strategy and failed to continue to build its library in the months that followed. These are the types of details we need to know about Wii U, and these are the types of details that Nintendo clearly must outline as 2012 rolls onward. Make no mistake about it - the console is coming this year. Nintendo must provide concrete details and, because of the 3DS launch, it might find the public and press a bit more skeptical of its strategy.

Nintendo's challenge is significant then. It must not only lure in casual and ? fans while still appeasing Nintendo fans, but somehow find software, hardware and pricing solutions for all of them. There's little doubt a Nintendo fan would pay a significant premium for new hardware, but would a casual fan? And while a killer Mario title might impress many, the ? fan will likely be more interested if exclusive Call of Duty content is coming to the system.

It's a difficult balancing act, and it's not as though Nintendo is alone in the market. Despite the fact that Wii U is likely to operate "on its own" for at least a year when it comes to the next round of consoles, it's not as if the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are stagnant. Both are in their primes, with fantastic and diverse game concepts supported by developers that are not only familiar with the technology but achieving peak results with the hardware. That's a tough thing for a rookie console to face - remember the first years of the 360 and PS3? Not so hot.

Nintendo has also set high expectations when it comes to launch software. Considering some of the greatest games of all time have launched alongside Nintendo's consoles, there's little doubt why many anticipate great things. Wii debuted with a free piece of software that arguably was the only title many casual fans wanted. Can Wii U find a solution to meet the diverse needs of Nintendo's audiences? Is that solution found in one title? In two? Will third parties provide significant support at launch?

The Nintendo 3DS enjoyed a healthy amount of third party support at launch, but the vast majority of it wasn't noteworthy. It's only now, nearly a year into its lifespan, that we're finally seeing the results of Nintendo's partnerships. The publisher has clearly already reached out to external companies - which is why so much information leaked last spring - but are they convinced Nintendo has the right strategy? Will we have to wait a full year for significant software support outside of first party content?

the-rise-of-wii-u-in-2012-20120110021050841.jpg
Street Fighter 3D was great, but after a hundred hadouken's 3DS owners wanted more.

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I was one of those that bought the wii before any other system. i did it mainly for price tho, and for Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. (That wasnt even announced when i bought it) It was cool i suppose but i just couldnt get into it ? . Majority of nintendo's games suck imo. you have the classics like mario and what not, but Ive grown a lot since i thought jumping on little brown mushrooms was fun. Even Zelda, which i love, was too boring for me. I will more than likely check out the wii u tho.
  • jokaman_03
    jokaman_03 Members Posts: 39
    edited January 2012
    Options
    no more heroes 1&2
    zelda
    mario

some of the main reasons i copped the wii. found a couple sleepers on there too. ima wait and see about the wii u before coppin though
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    If Wii U takes off dont expect a PS4 anytime soon...

The PS3 and Vita will do what the Wii U will do...
  • jokaman_03
    jokaman_03 Members Posts: 39
    edited January 2012
    Options
    im just really looking forward to a zelda with updated graphics
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Agree. I played Zelda Skyward sword and felt like i was still playing the ? on N64 or Gamecube. just with a diff controller.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I want to know what the crazy price tag will be and out of Sony or Microsoft who will copy Nintendo first.
  • MysticBoy
    MysticBoy Members Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm calling it now, $350-$450 at launch.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ^^U right. But if it cost that much, it better have internet surfing better than the PS3 and a gaming network better than 360 combined. And a Dozen must have games on launch day.

But I can see the next X Box and PS4 being roughly $700.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Nintendo need to stop wit all the bs and start puttin out good games (outside of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) like it use to back in the day. Also better graphics! Why the hell would u have a console like the wii, and NOT have great graphics?? I do need to quit bs'n and start buying stock in Nintendo now b4 it's too late.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i'll cop when zelda HD drops.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    i'll cop when zelda HD drops.

• unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    Microsoft will be the first.... they're notorious for doing that ? .

LOLOL @ the first 30 seconds....

Sony's never really been an innovator of anything, they'll just copy whatever's popular. They're too slow & stupid.
    I remember how Sony and Microsoft blew the wii of like a gimmick and they both copied the ? out of it.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not interested.....
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    Nintendo need to stop wit all the bs and start puttin out good games (outside of Mario, Zelda, and Metroid) like it use to back in the day. Also better graphics! Why the hell would u have a console like the wii, and NOT have great graphics?? I do need to quit bs'n and start buying stock in Nintendo now b4 it's too late.

Cause back in 06, if the Wii went HD, it would have cost at least $400 and would have been overlooked from the PS3 and 360. Plus they wouldn't have sold as many units due to the Recession.

But Now, Nintendo better drop a console that is as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox720