Someone Please break down for me the different offensive systems in the NFL

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
They say we have system qbs, so tell me what are the systems and who is in charge of these systems. And how can a qb be successful running the exact same system for multiple seasons? I'd venture to say that west coast coaches all run a different form of that offense and tend to tweak it year to year just to stay current and keep other teams off balanced. I doubt qbs run the exact same plays every year. The only thing that I think would stay constant is the terminology.

So name and describe for me the various systems.

Comments

• Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    And if system qbs even exist, is it necessarily a bad thing to be one
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    NFL now is pass the ball 50 times win the division then lose cause you got a ? defense.(saints pack)

or

Have a BALANCED attack where running the ball is just as important as passin the ball (9ers,ravens)

the NFL now reminds me of the nba when they got rid of the hand check rule.. you cant touch the receivers now in the REGULAR SEASOn\

in the PLAYOFFS.. there lettin the DB's play physical(normal) the refs aernt callin it...

thats why the pack, and saints are out of the playoffs, THERE SOFT and rely on finesse recievers...
  • ROFL.GUY
    edited January 2012
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    And if system qbs even exist, is it necessarily a bad thing to be one

its not a bad thing. but there are system QB's that put up HUGE numbers due to their OFFENSIVE SYSTEM..(saints,pack)

the backup QB for the pack through for 6TD the last game of the season.. proving that RODGERS numbers are inflated due to their system
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ROFL.GUY wrote: »
    its not a bad thing. but there are system QB's that put up HUGE numbers due to their OFFENSIVE SYSTEM..(saints,pack)

the backup QB for the pack through for 6TD the last game of the season.. proving that RODGERS numbers are inflated due to their system

but people say 'system' and just leave it at that.

what is the system?
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Systems obviously exist. So do "system players". And frankly, the only people that get offended by that label are the players themselves and bandwagon stans.

If you're a fan of *team* you should prefer your *team* have a solid system moreso than solid players.

The average NFL career is about 4 years. Even those that play longer only have about 4-6 years in their "primes". So as a lifetime fan (which I hope you are) you should want a "system" that develops players and leads them to success over and over.

If not, your team will only be successful as long as that one player or players are around and in their primes.

My favorite college squad definitely has always had a system, and it's one of the most consistent offensive systems in sports (two Heisman winner QBs, plus three other top Heisman candidates in 10 years). Yet my favorite NFL team has never had a solid offensive system longer than 3 or 4 years.

My college squad has won multiple championships, my NFL squad has won none. That's not a coincidence.

But, of course, this is the CS were ? aren't really fans anyway. Just stans. So... *shrugs*
  • ROFL.GUY
    edited January 2012
    Options
    but people say 'system' and just leave it at that.

what is the system?

the offensive gameplan.. the pats,saints,pack all are high volume passing offenses...

if you put ANY qb on the packers saints or patriots and there passing numbers would go up...

if you put brees,brady or rodgers, in 49ers system there numbers would be cut in half due to the offensive system(gameplan) they play

the system is just the offensive gameplan that the teams run...
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    how do we know that the systems remain the same every year.
    this really only applies for passing qb's, not so called game managers.

but either you know how to make reads or you don't.

either you can make the out route, the post, the slant, etc... or you can't.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    the offensive gameplan.. the pats,saints,pack all are high volume passing offenses...

if you put ANY qb on the packers saints or patriots and there passing numbers would go up...

if you put brees,brady or rodgers, in 49ers system there numbers would be cut in half due to the offensive system(gameplan) they play

This.

Timing routes. Blocking schemes. Basic philosophy, etc.

That doesn't mean a player that excels at it cant' be "great".

Most of us know the basics of the English language, but that doesn't mean we could all write an award winning novel.

Talent will always come into play. But some systems lend to certain talents more than others.
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options

but how are you going to use brees as an example when the last 2 times he's missed regular season games,, the team HAS NOT put up brees type numbers.

and the patriots? they've had at least 3 offensive coordinators that come to mind, they aren't all using the same playbook. and what is the patriots system? one year they ride corey dillon most of the year, then they let brady spread it out to various receivers, then another season they bomb it to moss, then another season they throw who knows how many passes to the tight ends. the ? doesn't stay the same
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    and a gameplan and system are two totally different things.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The 20 seconds in the pocket system.. the matt cassel ballin 1 year and playin like tim couch the next year system
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Systems for the most part dont exist. This is the NFL not NCAA....this the big boys....a system will not last more than 6 games before it gets shredded by every team they play next.
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    Systems for the most part dont exist. This is the NFL not NCAA....this the big boys....a system will not last more than 6 games before it gets shredded by every team they play next.

thats pretty much one of the points i'm getting at.

even the west coast offense isn't even the west coast offense anymore. so many coaches have ran with it and morphed it into their own thing. and thats why i went back to the patriots. just because brady throws for alot of yards every year doesn't mean those yards are coming the same way every year
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The we run just so this dude works for his money system..

Rage you are seriously mistaken.. you dont think the greatest show on Turf was a system that was a precursor to what we see every week? Do you realize the amount of stress on an average defense this type of offense has.. you literally have to defend the entire field.
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options

Rage you are seriously mistaken.. you dont think the greatest show on Turf was a system that was a precursor to what we see every week? Do you realize the amount of stress on an average defense this type of offense has.. you literally have to defend the entire field.

wasn't the run and shoot the precursor to what the rams did? line up in multiple receiver sets, one running back, and make vertical passes?
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    wasn't the run and shoot the precursor to what the rams did? line up in multiple receiver sets, one running back, and make vertical passes?

Vaguely remember just going by the most recent example that i remember.. but really cant say that it was that chic.. now its a trend ormore.. an nfl culture change
  • Darius
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Vaguely remember just going by the most recent example that i remember.. but really cant say that it was that chic.. now its a trend ormore.. an nfl culture change

right. the league is def. pass oriented and more specifically, vertical passing. so to that, i'd say players like Sanchez, alex smith and flacco could not survive in a vertical, pass heavy offense. but players like Brees, Brady, Rodgers would be just fine running the Jets, niners, or ravens offense.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The NFL has a lot to do with who is around you and what system you are running so I would say everyone in the NFL is sort of a system player. Just because certain players flourish in that system doesn't means it their fault or that we should take credit away from them.
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    right. the league is def. pass oriented and more specifically, vertical passing. so to that, i'd say players like Sanchez, alex smith and flacco could not survive in a vertical, pass heavy offense. but players like Brees, Brady, Rodgers would be just fine running the Jets, niners, or ravens offense.

I dont think its that black and white.. i believe these cats are quality qb's the others just suck,.. I dont think Brady would be what many people think of him as.. if he didnt have a secret service of an offensive line.. His intangibles would carry him a long way but... idk something we'll never see so i guess its pointless to harp on.. i think hes slightly overrated... Oh and consistency of the developers of qbs/systems is underrated..in the sucess or lack thereof of qbs,..

Sanchez just sucks.. i always felt flacco was better than his worst moments..
  • TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Football is a team game... Brady has a great offensive line and the best tight end duo ive seen and everybody shines cause everyone pulls their weight ya know... Brady is Extremely sound fundamentally his passes are thrown on a rope... have you seen a tebow passes im not sure he can throw a spiral to save his life... Brady is great.Brady plays a huge role in the way their offense works... Compared to a Tebow and by the way im not hating tebow im just trying to make a point you have to be able to do certain things to thrive in a offensive scheme... Just like a wide receiver needs to be able to catch the ball a quarterback needs to be accurate Brady is accurate and he succeeds its simple...
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    TB.Boy wrote: »
    Football is a team game... Brady has a great offensive line and the best tight end duo ive seen and everybody shines cause everyone pulls their weight ya know... Brady is Extremely sound fundamentally his passes are thrown on a rope... have you seen a tebow passes im not sure he can throw a spiral to save his life... Brady is great.Brady plays a huge role in the way their offense works... Compared to a Tebow and by the way im not hating tebow im just trying to make a point you have to be able to do certain things to thrive in a offensive scheme... Just like a wide receiver needs to be able to catch the ball a quarterback needs to be accurate Brady is accurate and he succeeds its simple...

Lol @ this elementary school persuasive essay
  • TB.Boy
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lol @ this elementary school persuasive essay

Haha yeah ? grammar i wrote that fast as ?
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Greatest show on turf isnt a system its a philosophy and game plan. The Option is a system, the wild cat is a system. The Greatest show on turf looks like a system because it looks like the west coast offence. Breezy, Brady, Rodgers ets are not part of any system, what they are is a part of a game plan and philosophy of a high powered passing offence. They are successful at this game plan because of their skill set. Others either do not have this skill set *cough* Tebow*cough* or just arent as proficient as these three. Thats all it is.
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    TB.Boy wrote: »
    Haha yeah ? grammar i wrote that fast as ?

nah it wasnt the grammar.
  • TB.Boy
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ImParallel wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of people say that Rodgers is a system QB too...that's one of the most outlandish statements I've ever heard.

A lot of people seem to imply that a system QB is one that got placed into a good situation where almost any QB could succeed. Similar to how people say the RBs under Shanahan had numbers based off his system rather than their talent level.

The Packers have a great group of receivers, nelson,driver,jennings,jones, finley but i see what people see when they say system quarterback they will see a Matt cassel or a Matt flynn and assume wait he put up the same numbers as brady or rodgers damn their overated. It makes sense but after seeing tebow play i learned how terrible an nfl quarterback could be if you cant throw you cant throw. I do feel the quarterback position can be a bit hyped at times not overated but overhyped there is a difference.