TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    nah it wasnt the grammar.

What was it?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    rage wrote: »
    Greatest show on turf isnt a system its a philosophy and game plan. The Option is a system, the wild cat is a system. The Greatest show on turf looks like a system because it looks like the west coast offence. Breezy, Brady, Rodgers ets are not part of any system, what they are is a part of a game plan and philosophy of a high powered passing offence. They are successful at this game plan because of their skill set. Others either do not have this skill set *cough* Tebow*cough* or just arent as proficient as these three. Thats all it is.

If they didnt have that structure thats supports them. the philosophy wouldnt matter so much.. i can dig some ofwhat your are saying though
  • TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    ImParallel wrote: »
    The Packers do have a lot of weapons but I don't see how you can watch Rodgers play and think "man he really wouldn't succeed anywhere else...he better be glad he's in Green Bay"...dude can flat out ball and people forget how mobile he is

Rodgers is good.He could succeed anywhere just about he prolly couldnt run that tebow offence denver tried but hell tebow could do it either
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    its bad enough when people dont credit Brady because hes a "system" qb, but the funniest ? i read all day was Gronkowski not being a top 5 te because hes a "system" tight end lol
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    its bad enough when people dont credit Brady because hes a "system" qb, but the funniest ? i read all day was Gronkowski not being a top 5 te because hes a "system" tight end lol

I think he has the attribute to be a great te.. but idk everything in that SYSTEM.. is overrated.. to a degree.
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012

I know right. He has great numbers because his team passes alot and he has a great qb, but that in now way makes him a system player. Giving someone that label implies that they are only good because of those reasons. Great players are great regardless of where they play. Their skills don't change, the only thing that would change is the way they were utilized or the opportunities they are given
  • shieky
    shieky Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    One thing I hate in ALL sports is when somebody discredits an athlete because he uses the tools around him...such and such is only great because of others around him...such and such only wins because of the team he's on...etc.

I thought the object of a team sport was to utilize everybody on the team...not Rodgers/Brady fault their Owners/GMs know what the ? they are doing.

In some instances it is valid though.

Eli Manning has basically closed his eyes, thrown the ball high in the air off his back foot and said a quick prayer MANY times during his career. Only to have his receivers beast and bail him out. Other quarterbacks obviously can't get away with that because they don't have the talent around them.

Brady and Brees can throw to any scrub in the world and make them look good. They are accurate enough to throw receivers open. They don't need amazing talent nor do they need receivers to bail them out for poor throws.

But there are guys out there who will just throw in the general direction of a receiver and hope for the best. We tend to call them gunslingers.
  • shieky
    edited January 2012
    So Delhomme gotta be a top 5 system QB with Steve "Black Jesus" Smith back in the day.

Shiiiiiit. He was the first one that came to mind lmao.

I can't tell you how many times he would throw up prayers and Moose and Steve would bail him out.... just against my eagles..

Man. ? that ? .
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Those are terrible examples of System qb's yah i agree at a pointin elis career he would throw off the back foot and pray that plax would bail him out.. but he is a good qb.. as much as it pains me to say...
  • shieky
    edited January 2012
    Neither one of us called them system quarterbacks. It was moreso about players being discredited for having good players around them.

I don't really buy the whole system qb thing to begin with.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    This league is predicated on the QB. Every franchise that has won a title has had a HOF or Top Flight QB and once they've lost them have disappeared into irrelevancy. The only occassions where this hasn't happened is when a team has had one of the all time great defenses ('85 Bears, '00 Ravens, etc).

What have the Cowboys, 9er's, Dolphins, Bills, Raiders, Broncos, and Rams done since losing the top flight QB's. Meanwhile teams like the Saints, Packers, Pats, Chargers, and Steelers are yearly contenders because they have ATG QB's. If you don't have a QB that can distribute the ball or atleast manage situations (Brady's 1st 3 yrs) you aren't going to have success because truly great defenses don't come around that often.
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    I've seen a lot of people say that Rodgers is a system QB too...that's one of the most outlandish statements I've ever heard.

A lot of people seem to imply that a system QB is one that got placed into a good situation where almost any QB could succeed. Similar to how people say the RBs under Shanahan had numbers based off his system rather than their talent level.

Co-sign .......

it's one of the dumbest things i've seen in CS
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    The 20 seconds in the pocket system.. the matt cassel ballin 1 year and playin like tim couch the next year system

The talent level in KC and NE were on two very different levels
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    bottom line is there are qb's who will do well in any offense. just because they play well in a certain offense for a few years and their backup plays well in that offense for a couple games, does not in any way mean the original qb is simply a system qb. and just because a quarterback plays in one offense his entire career doesn't make him a system qb
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    blackrain wrote: »
    The talent level in KC and NE were on two very different levels
    exactly lol he had better ? to throw too.. people just look at the obvious TD's number of yards thrown for... what about the little things that Brady Brees and rodgers do like reading defense... accuracy, timing, mechanics ? that you either have or dont have... these things a make those guys elite IMO..
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    matt- wrote: »
    bottom line is there are qb's who will do well in any offense. just because they play well in a certain offense for a few years and their backup plays well in that offense for a couple games, does not in any way mean the original qb is simply a system qb. and just because a quarterback plays in one offense his entire career doesn't make him a system qb
    word what was the Pats system right before Brady took over.. def was not considered an elite system for a QB to flourish in lol.
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    This whole Matt Cassel argument is dumb as ? . Dude went 11-5 and missed the playoff. Brady went 18-0 and if that DB has a set of stones would be a 4 time world champion. Brady went 18-0, ask yourself how many other QBs have done that, Rodgers...nope, Breezy...nope, Manning...nope. And all of them are in the top 10.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    The 20 seconds in the pocket system.. the matt cassel ballin 1 year and playin like tim couch the next year system

• bankrupt baller
    edited January 2012
    in other words its all about protection
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    There is only one system Qb in the NFL and thats Tebow..
    in other words its all about protection

#REALSHIT
  • bankrupt baller
    edited January 2012
    rage wrote: »
    This whole Matt Cassel argument is dumb as ? . Dude went 11-5 and missed the playoff. Brady went 18-0 and if that DB has a set of stones would be a 4 time world champion. Brady went 18-0, ask yourself how many other QBs have done that, Rodgers...nope, Breezy...nope, Manning...nope. And all of them are in the top 10.

sorry kid but he went 18-1
  • b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    matt- wrote: »
    I know right. He has great numbers because his team passes alot and he has a great qb, but that in now way makes him a system player. Giving someone that label implies that they are only good because of those reasons. Great players are great regardless of where they play. Their skills don't change, the only thing that would change is the way they were utilized or the opportunities they are given

aka "the system"
  • b*braze
    edited January 2012
    systems get a bad rap.

people somehow flipped "being able to effctively run your team's offense" into a negative

alex smith aint had continuity @ offensive coordinator his entire career and been thought of as a bust/wack QB.

harbaugh come in and implemented a system which allows him to succeed. he gained some confidence and all of a sudden, he makin clutch throw after clutch throw.

i cant wait til my QB get put into the right system
  • b*braze
    edited January 2012
    case in point... kurt warner.

GOAT system QB
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    sorry kid but he went 18-1

How was he not 18-0 before the SB? Reading comprehension....

LMAO at good protection being a system now.