Hakeem "Abul" Olajuwon is the 2nd Greatest Player in NBA History.......

Options

Comments

• Mumo 13X
    Mumo 13X Members Posts: 123
    edited January 2012
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    But he dominated in a weaker era, where his only competition was Wilt Chamberlain.

Hakeem have the stats in a stronger era, both offense & especially defense. Even Shaq will probably vouch that Hakeem was the hardest player to guard. No center in the 90s was touching Olajuwon in his prime

Good Post. The thing is that i never saw @ anytime Hakeem in his prime get dominated/outplayed/outclassed/humiliated by any player.
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ? drexler averaged 21,7,4.5 with Houston in 95 and 20,7,5 in the playoffs....how is that washed up?

Like I said, he had help

but did he play in great teams like Kobe,shaq,MJ,Kareem,Magic,bird,wilt,bill? I knew clyde's numbers but he wuznt the same player we'd seen in Portland
  • Louis Cipher
    Louis Cipher Members Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    the fact is that hakeem during those couple seasons was the best player in the nba. jordan came back for a full season in '96 and shut it down. again.

that houston team had more than hakeem tho. and its very ignorant to say otherwise. were any of them HOF talent?...maybe not...but collectively they were a very good team. hakeem wasnt out there playing 1 on 5.

nice try tho
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Mumo 13X wrote: »
    but did he play in great teams like Kobe,shaq,MJ,Kareem,Magic,bird,wilt,bill? I knew clyde's numbers but he wuznt the same player we'd seen in Portland

Clyde was the same, he just took a backseat to dream because obviously it was dream's team

And I don't do hypotheticals ? , a lot of teams have been loaded squads and STILL didn't win

And hakeem is still in I'm my top 3 all-time
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    naw that ? Robert Horry was putting in work too but still no center in history is touching nh Olajuwon in his prime
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    naw that ? Robert Horry was putting in work too but still no center in history is touching nh Olajuwon in his prime

WHAT?!

Wilt, Kareem?

Second greatest all time?? Bro...
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hakeem having Clyde to win a ring=Kareem having the big o NH

Same predicament mumo
  • T. Sanford
    edited January 2012
    Options
    WHAT?!

Wilt, Kareem?

Second greatest all time?? Bro...

Yes he's better than both of them. & ? gon overrate Wilt because he was the tallest ? in the league with his best competition being Bill Russell
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    MJ is da GOAT but how exactly can Kareem be better than Hakeem? Hakeem gave Kareem a hard time when they playd against each other in the WCF. Plus Kareem has had Big O, Magic, Worthy as his teammates while Hakeem had to work wit Bums and washd up all stars

You making it seem like the one on one matchup is the end all be all but its not. Kareem was consistently more dominant than Hakeem. Averaged more points, rebounds, and assists and shot a far higher % from the floor while taking more shots. The only claim Hakeem has is the playoffs, where he raised his play considerably more than Kareem. We however can't ignore the title Kareem won in Milwaukee which was a great achievement, not to mention when Hakeem got the better of Kareem he was past his prime. Hakeem might have been slightly better than Kareem defensively but let's not also forget the fact steals and blocks weren't recorded for Kareems 1st few seasons.

Skills and post moves are great but the name of the game is putting the ball in the hoop, Kareem was flat out better in that aspect.
  • T. Sanford
    edited January 2012
    Options
    this is a valid argument, I'll give it to u...
    I still put Magic, Jordan, and Bird ahead of Hakeem though...

I respect this post, I can see Bird & Magic being ahead of Hakeem tho, especially Jordan
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Mike Jordan- Mike is the most complete basketball player ever, he match Hakeem, even in post skills

Kobe Bryant- Kobe Bryant is skilled as hell, he shoots, he defends, he passes, he scores, he dominates. He has the post game the
    footwork, and even had a season where he made certain to block shots with his left hand! (who doe that)

Larry Bird-Did everything great (besides be athletic), and he dominated Hakeem and Ralph Sampson's squads in the finals. One of the grittiest, toughest players.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar-He was the best big man there ever was bruh, HE blocked shots, he could score with ease, he had touch (better touch than Hakeem) Family was 7'4 dog...c'mon! He didn't have the herky jerkyness of Olajuwan but he was everything else.
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    bruh...that was a great team...you cant look at it and judge by the number of HOF players on a team...that was a good team in every sense of the word...

i really dont get what u sayin bruh! Hakeem in his 2nd season abused the Laker team wit 3 HOFers and went on to face a Celtic team wit 5 HOFers who averaged 15ppg and wuz all in they prime -- were it not for sampson Then Hakeem woulda upset the Celtics. Fact is Hakeem never playd in great teams like other GOAT Candidates. Why deny that?
    Clyde was the same, he just took a backseat to dream because obviously it was dream's team

And I don't do hypotheticals ? , a lot of teams have been loaded squads and STILL didn't win

And hakeem is still in I'm my top 3 all-time

the dream's play in 2nd chip wuz impressive. He really tore up the league. From da 6th seed in a stackd West to makin the Finals and totally abusing admiral and rodman. Those are 2 of the top 10 greatest defensive players.
  • woah316
    woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Part of being a great player is willing your team to titles, I dont give a ? how you gotta do it... Pouting for trades, choking the GM out, or whatever you got to do, thats part of being a great player...

Kobe won as many titles (2) without shaq as Hakeem has all together. And he has a extra finals appearence to trump hakeem... thats EVEN WITHOUT THE OTHER 4 YEARS HE GOT TO THE FINALS and won 3 rings with shaq.

If you gonna act like rings dont mean ? , and just going off of Raw Talent, then Lebron is easily better than hakeem. So let me know which argument you want to go with.

In 1 argument (talent) Lebron > Hakeem (probably kobe too). In another argument (rings), Kobe > Hakeem.

Cant have it both ways chump.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    He was not as skilled or versatile as Hakeem...
    but he was truly dominant for an entire era... he defined what a defensive center is... rings, impact on the game >>>

Didn't russell play with like 6 different hall of famers
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I can see calling Hakeem better than Russell but not Wilt. Plus you can't even argue him being better than Magic or Bird, come on.
  • T. Sanford
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I can see calling Hakeem better than Russell but not Wilt. Plus you can't even argue him being better than Magic or Bird, come on.

he is better than Wilt, Kareem is a better argument than Wilt
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    You making it seem like the one on one matchup is the end all be all but its not. Kareem was consistently more dominant than Hakeem. Averaged more points, rebounds, and assists and shot a far higher % from the floor while taking more shots. The only claim Hakeem has is the playoffs, where he raised his play considerably more than Kareem. We however can't ignore the title Kareem won in Milwaukee which was a great achievement, not to mention when Hakeem got the better of Kareem he was past his prime. Hakeem might have been slightly better than Kareem defensively but let's not also forget the fact steals and blocks weren't recorded for Kareems 1st few seasons.

Skills and post moves are great but the name of the game is putting the ball in the hoop, Kareem was flat out better in that aspect.

i hear u but we cant act like Hakeem dint outplay his competition. - shaq,drob,ewing,kareem,mutombo,mourning.
    Hakeem having Clyde to win a ring=Kareem having the big o NH

Same predicament mumo

yup, i agree wit that
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    woah316 wrote: »
    Part of being a great player is willing your team to titles, I dont give a ? how you gotta do it... Pouting for trades, choking the GM out, or whatever you got to do, thats part of being a great player...

Kobe won as many titles (2) without shaq as Hakeem has all together. And he has a extra finals appearence to trump hakeem... thats EVEN WITHOUT THE OTHER 4 YEARS HE GOT TO THE FINALS and won 3 rings with shaq.

If you gonna act like rings dont mean ? , and just going off of Raw Talent, then Lebron is easily better than hakeem. So let me know which argument you want to go with.

In 1 argument (talent) Lebron > Hakeem (probably kobe too). In another argument (rings), Kobe > Hakeem.

Cant have it both ways chump.

are u ? ? Bron talented than Olajuwon? Thats some dumb ? . Hakeem skillset, plus combination of size, speed and athleticism wil never be witnessed. Olajuwon is the GOAT Defender. He abused Ewing(a 51% FG Career) shot 36% in the Finals. Hakeem is one of 3 players to hav a Quadruple-double. Plus both his final performances are in the top in history. Kobe dont even hav 1 memorable performance nor does Bron. Kobe FG % is 41.5 in da playoffs wtf.

tha ? u sayin? How is bird and magic better than Hakeem allah? These two had the luxury of playin on great teams.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    the guy who said Bron is more talented than Hakeem is DUMB
    i always said Hakeem>>>>>SHAQ
    shaw always had a top 3 player when he won
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    which 4 players would u put above Hakeem? And state clearly why they are better than him

same position or overall?
    same position, wilt and kareem are better than him
    overall jordan, kareem, wilt, and tim duncan

i know the last one will bother some, but tim won 4 chips, 2 with around the same talent level hakeem played with in his first right and 2 with the talent level hakeem had in his second chip, both had a twin towers era, hakeem had robinson. ewing and shaq as main adversaries, tim had prime shaq, kg, malone, webber, nowitzki, and stoudemire as his main adversaries. mike killed 6 years winning 6 rings, kobe killed 5 years winning 5 rings (during their respective eras)
    career stats match up but the edge goes to timmy for never having missed the playoffs his whole career and winning 2 more titles

but goat footwork is most def hakeems.
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    dabull. wrote: »
    the guy who said Bron is more talented than Hakeem is DUMB
    i always said Hakeem>>>>>SHAQ
    shaw always had a top 3 player when he won

Word bruh. Todays kids be sayin dumb ? smh
  • Mumo 13X
    edited January 2012
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »

i know the last one will bother some, but tim won 4 chips, 2 with around the same talent level hakeem played with in his first right and 2 with the talent level hakeem had in his second chip, both had a twin towers era, hakeem had robinson. ewing and shaq as main adversaries, tim had prime shaq, kg, malone, webber, nowitzki, and stoudemire as his main adversaries. mike killed 6 years winning 6 rings, kobe killed 5 years winning 5 rings (during their respective eras)
    career stats match up but the edge goes to timmy for never having missed the playoffs his whole career and winning 2 more titles

actually, i have no problem wit the BIG FUNDAMENTAL. Him and Hakeem Allah are 2a & 2b in my book. Il never forget how impressive Duncan wuz in 03 when he led Spurs to a title wit an average team. Duncan won 4 rings wit less talent than all the other GOAT candidates except Hakeem. I disagree on Wilt being better than Hakeem cuz he playd in a weak era wit Russell as his only competition. Kareem is a tough one but would he hav won those 2 rings with that Rockets team? Plus Olajuwon outplayd him in 86, and a better defender than Kareem.
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited January 2012
    Options
    actually, i have no problem wit the BIG FUNDAMENTAL. Him and Hakeem Allah are 2a & 2b in my book. Il never forget how impressive Duncan wuz in 03 when he led Spurs to a title wit an average team. Duncan won 4 rings wit less talent than all the other GOAT candidates except Hakeem. I disagree on Wilt being better than Hakeem cuz he playd in a weak era wit Russell as his only competition. Kareem is a tough one but would he hav won those 2 rings with that Rockets team? Plus Olajuwon outplayd him in 86, and a better defender than Kareem.

Kareem has more all defensive teams and he was in his 17th year while hakeem was in his 2nd in 86.....
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Dr. Skyhook>The Dream

Good thread, though.