)))The Official Ed Reed Appreciation Thread(((

Options
woah316
woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Is it just me, or does this man not get the props he deserves? When you look at the ? he's done, he should go down as a top 10 defensive player in NFL history easily, if NOT top 5... I think calling him the "greatest FS ever" sells him short by a mile.

Lets look at the top 5 players for Interception return yards in NFL history:

1. Rod Woodson+ 1,483 1987-2003 - 17 Years
2. Ed Reed........ 1,463 2002-2011 - 10 Years
3. Darren Sharper 1,412 1997-2010 - 14 Years
4. Deion Sanders+ 1,331 1989-2005 - 17 Years
5. Emlen Tunnell+ 1,282 1948-1961 - 14 Years

Dude is behind Rod Woodson by only 20 yards (which he'll break next year), but has played 7 years less than him. Like, that's other-worldly ? .

I'd go as far as to say, that for his position, he arguably the greatest football player that ever played. Name me a player, that's leaps and bounds above his competition at the position he played? Most positions can be argued 1 way or another, Except for perhaps Jerry Rice and Lawrence Taylor. Even then, some would say "Moss could've been better than Jerry, if he had the work ethic".. And in their Primes, some would say Moss was more dominant than Jerry... Theres nobody you can take above reed when you look at what he's capable of, not an argument.

He reminds me of Michael Jordan in the sense that, not only was he the best at his position, but the most exciting. Thats rare. Most times it's either 1 or the other. Tim Duncan the best PF ever, but boring. Reed electrifies what really should be 1 of the most boring positions in football.

So, give it up to Ed Reed. He doesn't get enough praise.

Comments

• Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'll praise Ed when he retires as the GOAT safety.
    We gonna see the ? again on Sunday anyways.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    He is definately the greatest FS to ever play the game..
    Not sure where he ranks in top defensive players ever tho let me think..
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ed is the GOAT FS, he needs a ring to surpass woodson and Ronnie Lott as the GOAT SAFETY. Ravens fan since they came to da city in 96, time to get ring number 2 for the franchise
  • woah316
    edited January 2012
    Options
    This Quote from Jan 15th 2009 (keep in mind he's since had 2 more probowl seasons)

Ronnie Lott on Ed Reed:

“Here’s where Ed Reed is better than I was or better than Kenny Easley or better than any safety who played the game. When he gets his hands on the ball after making an interception, he is no longer a defensive player running with the ball. He is an offensive player. It’s not just that he’s fast or quick, he knows how to run once he has the ball. He knows how to set up his blockers and he knows what moves to make. It’s like he’s Barry Sanders running with the ball.”

“He is a good hitter. He can really strike. Maybe I hit a little bit harder but it’s not like Reed is deficient in that area. He plays the run well. He tackles and he can cover. But what separates him from everybody who has played the position is his ability with the ball in his hands.

“I really take note of it because it was something I wanted to do when I was playing. I wanted to make the moves Reed does when he has the ball. I couldn’t do that. He can."

“I don’t think Ed Reed has to take a back seat to anybody who ever played the position. ANYBODY."
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    To judge a free safety based on rings is stupid. If he was part of the reason they werent winning, then fine. But he hasnt been.
  • woah316
    edited January 2012
    Options
    white715 wrote: »
    Ed Reed is a beast but calm down with the GOAT ? niiga isn't on the field enough, and is too one dimensional to be up there at that level. He's basically a receiver playing safety.

Lol @ isn't on the field enough.

That's like saying if Greg Oden was the All Time Blocks and Scoring leader for a center, "he's not the goat ? he wasn't on the court enough".

If the ? breaking records while being hurt all the time, like you're trying to say, that's even more impressive. Fall back with your foolish talk.
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Bonafied ballhawk
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    woah316 wrote: »
    You do know Ronnie Lott said that Ed Reed is better than him right?

He said Reed turns into an offensive player once he intercepts the football, so thats what takes him to another level. You should google that before saying Ronnie is better.

And to put it on a defensive player to get a ring, thats kinda ridiculous. This aint basketball where you got 5 players... It's 22. He can't help it he plays with a ? QB and stuff like that.

yup, sure do. but in my opinion he needs a ring to put the icing on da cake. thats the great thing about the internet, i can have my own opinion and you have have yours
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ed Reed is the GOAT safety in my eyes.....it was great to watch him do work as a Cane
  • Darius
    Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i hate that ? . i've been waiting 10 years for him to do some real hoodrat ? like his friends, and he's been nothing but a top notch, first class citizen. not a stain to his name that i'm aware of.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    i hate that ? . i've been waiting 10 years for him to do some real hoodrat ? like his friends, and he's been nothing but a top notch, first class citizen. not a stain to his name that i'm aware of.

hilarious !
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    woah316 wrote: »
    Lol @ isn't on the field enough.

That's like saying if Greg Oden was the All Time Blocks and Scoring leader for a center, "he's not the goat ? he wasn't on the court enough".

If the ? breaking records while being hurt all the time, like you're trying to say, that's even more impressive. Fall back with your foolish talk.

I'm not taking anything away from dude I like Ed Reed but the fact that he misses so many games to me is a liability it's a matter of inconsistency. it maybe somewhat unfair but if your gonna try and claim GOAT status you gotta take that into consideration. And what records has he broken?