Russell Westbrook Is A Top 5 MVP Candidate. Here's why...

smittysmith
smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Currently, avg 23.5 ppg 5.8 rpg 5.6 apg, he's been efficient shooting 47% from the floor. Westbrook has been the driving force of Thunder this season. Without his scoring the Thunder's offense does not work. PERIOD! Their 3rd option is Harden and he's a bench player. Westbrook would have more assists but he is dumping the ball into limited guys in the post. He's the best on ball defender on the team, I've seen him guard 1-3 with physicality. He's the best defending PG and its quite clear.

Ill even go as far as saying this much. Westbrook is playing at a higher level than Rose was last season when he won the award, except he's actually playing better on defense.

Top 5 MVP candidates

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Howard
4. Aldrdge (Yes Aldridge! Easily the best PF in the game pre-injury on both ends)
5. Westbrook
6. T Parker
7. D. Rose
8. Wade
9. CP3
10 Kobe/Love

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @ kobe at 10..

and aldridge at 4
    and cp3 at 9 .. CP3 is a top 3 candidate

Westrbook is among the top 10 candidates though
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with that about Russ' defense. I'm more impressed with that than his offense so far this year.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @ Aldridge Blazers are barely over .500 and CP3 @ #9 when he helping THE CLIPPERS get to the playoffs with a HIGH SEED CMON SON
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You take Aldridge off the Blazers they go on a double digit losing streak. They're a Top 5 defense primarily because of Aldrige. He is easily the best defensive PF in the L, I have him as a DPOY candidate. Guy can guard 3-5 and is excellent in pick and role and helping. Before the injury he was the most consistent player not named Lebron.

How anyone can argue Kobe into the Top 5 are lower than maybe 8 is laughable.

CP3's defense has been atrocious this year, no thanks on Top 3.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    his perceived contributions gon suffer playing alongside durant (see kobe 01-04). i wonder in 10 years will dumb ? be sayin he "got carried" to any championships he wins. smh

russ done came a long way from bein that skinny, funny lookin lil ? playin wide receiver for the generals
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    his perceived contributions gon suffer playing alongside durant (see kobe 01-04). i wonder in 10 years will dumb ? be sayin he "got carried" to any championships he wins. smh

russ done came a long way from bein that skinny, funny lookin lil ? playin wide receiver for the generals

Now hes that skinny funny lookin lil ? thats ballin for the thunder

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now hes that skinny funny lookin lil ? thats ballin for the thunder

? was invisible on the football field.

• ROFL..GUY
    ROFL..GUY Members Posts: 225
    westbrook makes that team go.. the durant/westbrook kobe/shaq situtation is pretty much the same exact thing....

SHAQ was the percieved dominant force of the team like durant is now.. Kobe is what made those teams championship caliber(look @ shaq success before kobe) Shaq needed someone who could break down the defense and make his own offense.. he had that in ORL and on the Lakers before kobe was on the team.. point is after KOBE teamed with shaq shaq won rings. before kobe shaq didnt have that success with similar players...

Westbrook is the KOBE in this.. 5 yrs from now people will see Westbrook as the better player... he already is a better player than durant..

look @ his numbers. 23 5 5, thats playing alongside "arguably" the most dominant player in the nba..

westbrook >> rose
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    last time i check durant was hittin all the game winning shots
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah he's also the guy that will dribble the ball out of bounds 4 times for you in the fourth qt to loose you the game...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I checked Durant was getting bigboyed by Artest and Tony Allen in the Playoffs... fronted and pushed to the 3 point line and ? . Both are important to OKC but it seems Durant mistakes and fuckups get wept under the rug while Westbrooks gets amplified by the media
  • Mr. Burns
    Mr. Burns Members Posts: 32
    aneed123 wrote:

Last time I checked Durant was getting bigboyed by Artest and Tony Allen in the Playoffs... fronted and pushed to the 3 point line and ? . Both are important to OKC but it seems Durant mistakes and fuckups get wept under the rug while Westbrooks gets amplified by the media

Bingo....especially the bolded, thats why I don't get the Westbrook be ballhogging criticism. Where was the sh*t in the Memphis series? Durant couldn't get open for half of those games.

The symptoms are definitely there for OKC to have a LA like situation. Westbrook wants to be the dude and I think Kobe was right when he said Westbrook is just like him.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmfaoooooo at comparing westbrook to Kobe. Clearly you ? don't watch thunders games. Durant is seen as the man of that ? team because he is. That team could survive w/o Russ for a short period. w/o KD? No chance. Ive never seen a PG that talented with that bad basketball IQ.

No more dumb threads like this.