Anything New From Masta Ace?

Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited February 2012 in The Essence
Man I just got done listening to Disposable Arts and this dude is criminally underrated. I see his name in the news every now and then working with other artist. Anybody know if he plans on droppin another solo? Retiring?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    He's one of the Greatest of All Time, period.

His last album was Arts and Entertainment with Edo. G, but it wasn't really as good as some of his other efforts.

We're currently waiting on MA Doom: Son of Yvonne with MF Doom.

But he's on a UK tour in the coming months, going too! I'll make a thread on it when I've been…

Some of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUaFMOlPvgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YE-HLYGVIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUQgm3qRPio&feature=related
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    With MF Doom huh? Hmmm not the biggest fan. How u think itll be?
  • RuffDraft
    HLF wrote: »
    With MF Doom huh? Hmmm not the biggest fan. How u think itll be?

MF Doom's production is usually nice, I'm a fan…

Their first release was a bit strange though… concept record; not sure if this is confirmed on the album but here it is, PBS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsWZaIpAOQQ
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this just Ace on doom beats or doom rapping as well?
  • RuffDraft
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Is this just Ace on doom beats or doom rapping as well?
    DX: Are you holding MA DOOM down on your own or are there collaborations?

Masta Ace: I got one collab. That’s it. One collab.

DX: It seems like more artists are going back to that [structure].

Masta Ace: It just felt right. It’s such a personal record. It deals with me as a childhood from when I was 12 years old. There really wasn’t room for a feature. There wasn’t room for features. It didn’t make sense. I didn’t want to put people on a record just to put them on there. The writing felt like it needed to just be me.

DX: Who’s the guest appearance?

Masta Ace: Big Daddy Kane.

DX: Nice. Word up.

Masta Ace: I’m very excited about it. I’m excited about the record. I’m excited about what people’s reaction is going to be to it. I’m just excited to get back on the road because I know once this record comes out, the shows are going to roll in and we’re going to be right back out there, hitting them again’ in Europe and in Africa and Australia and hopefully Asia.

Sounds as though it's just beats from Doom but surely he'll jump on it too??? Although he may perceive that as a 'collaboration', in which case, the answer is no.
  • Lou Cypher
    BDK huh?? im still waiting for that damn Ghost/Doom project. ? never coming out :(
  • Sep-00
    Sep-00 Members Posts: 210
    ace is nice and underappreciated. i play disposable arts and long hot summer all the time
  • RuffDraft
    BDK huh?? im still waiting for that damn Ghost/Doom project. ? never coming out :(

Lol it's never coming out, agreed.
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    ace is nice and underappreciated. i play disposable arts and long hot summer all the time

Co-sign, got tickets to see Ace in the coming months as well, cannot wait! I'll post a thread when I get back from it with pictures and a few videos if I can too!
  • RuffDraft
    the MA DOOM ? aint never coming out...

Hahaha I think that's a given now considering how long it's been, I'm seeing Masta Ace live in less than a month, so if he speaks on it, I'll post any info here.

I wasn't that impressed with their concept single though, so maybe it's a blessing, albeit a surprising one. I thought it would be a nice duo… either way, I wanna hear some new Ace and no collaboration 'ish with Edo. G.
  • Lou Cypher
    ? A yeah its been a long time for this. nothing doom says hes gonna do ever materializes. Been waiting on an official Madvillain album, Ghost DOOM, and another Viktor Vaughn for damn near 5 years. He prolly has hundreds of songs in the vault.
  • RuffDraft
    edited April 2012
    ? A yeah its been a long time for this. nothing doom says hes gonna do ever materializes. Been waiting on an official Madvillain album, Ghost DOOM, and another Viktor Vaughn for damn near 5 years. He prolly has hundreds of songs in the vault.

What do you think the problem is with all those songs and not putting them out there though???

If I was in the media, I'd wanna do a run down with Jay Elec, Dr. Dre, MF Doom and all the other artists who say they're going to put something out but don't…

I'd label the article:
    "What the ? is your problem?"
  • Lou Cypher
    I dunno somethings been up with DOOM. since he released DangerDOOM with Danger Mouse i know hes been having his imposter do shows for him. A lot of people arent even booking shows for DOOM anymore because they assume it will be an imposter. We were supposed to get doom up here in alaska but the promoter backed out because he wouldnt sign a contract agreeing that it was gonna be Daniel Dumille. which is kind of a ? move, but i guess i shouldnt judge, maybe the guys sick or something. But everyone says he has snake tendencies, Grimm outted him in interviews, the Rest of M.I.C. has given him ? . Madlib gives interviews every year saying Madvillain's almost complete but nothing materializes. I know he did a song with Thom Yorke recently from radiohead too. But i dunno what the deal is man.
  • RuffDraft
    I dunno somethings been up with DOOM. since he released DangerDOOM with Danger Mouse i know hes been having his imposter do shows for him. A lot of people arent even booking shows for DOOM anymore because they assume it will be an imposter. We were supposed to get doom up here in alaska but the promoter backed out because he wouldnt sign a contract agreeing that it was gonna be Daniel Dumille. which is kind of a ? move, but i guess i shouldnt judge, maybe the guys sick or something. But everyone says he has snake tendencies, Grimm outted him in interviews, the Rest of M.I.C. has given him ? . Madlib gives interviews every year saying Madvillain's almost complete but nothing materializes. I know he did a song with Thom Yorke recently from radiohead too. But i dunno what the deal is man.

Yeah, I get that he's an estranged character to begin with… I guess it's not dissimilar to his run as an artist thus far, the gap between The Mouse and The Mask and Born Like This was four years, we're now running at no album since 2009. Shame though, I'd like to hear that Mavillainy sequel.
    DOOM put out "Born Like This"... it was aight... he must have other revenue streams...

His other revenue stream is selling mysterious crate boxes with cassette tapes inside LOL.

• Lou Cypher
    New single was released today from the MA DOOM project. can peep it on realhiphophead.com
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    Can't wait for a new EMC album. I loved the first one. Still gets weekly play.