Salaried job vs Contract job

Options
7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Which one is better and why ? (job tryin' to hire a ? )

Contract:
More pay.
Get to keep it moving, less likely to get bored.
Less worrying about raises and advancement.
Usually short (less than a year)
If you don't work you don't get paid (ie. paid time off)

Salaried:
Less pay.
False sense of loyalty.
Job stability.
Benefits
Insurance (could buy this yourself but probably cheaper since with full time, you might get group insurance).
Paid time off
Overtime. (no extra pay)

Comments

• DRO_IZ_BACK
    DRO_IZ_BACK Members Posts: 218
    Options
    BASICALLY ITS ALL ABOUT INSURANCE AND BENIFITS... SO IT IS WHAT IT IS...

ME PERSONALLY, I WANT STABILITY
  • 7figz
    Options
    BASICALLY ITS ALL ABOUT INSURANCE AND BENIFITS... SO IT IS WHAT IT IS...

ME PERSONALLY, I WANT STABILITY

I hear you on the benefits but you always buy your own insurance, right ?

And as far as stability - is it really stable ? They can still fire you.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7fIG wrote:
    Which one do you prefer and why ? My job tryin' to hire a ? .

Contract:
    More pay.

Salaried:
    Less pay.
    False sense of loyalty.
    Job stability.
    Benefits
    Insurance (could buy this yourself but probably cheaper since with full time, you might get group insurance).

funny how contract has no cons!
  • 7figz
    edited February 2012
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    7fIG wrote:
    Which one do you prefer and why ? My job tryin' to hire a ? .

Contract:
    More pay.

Salaried:
    Less pay.
    False sense of loyalty.
    Job stability.
    Benefits

funny how contract has no cons!

Ight, fixed that.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    insurance and benefits are the way Id go unless the contracted job pays a whole lot more
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I say salary with contract work when you can.

Contract work is for people that either don't want a 9 to 5 or people that hasn't found a 9 to 5.

If this recession has taught some people a lesson it is contracts dry up before salary jobs.
  • 7figz
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    I say salary with contract work when you can.

Contract work is for people that either don't want a 9 to 5 or people that hasn't found a 9 to 5.

If this recession has taught some people a lesson it is contracts dry up before salary jobs.

Personally though I had jobs all throughout the recession - mostly contract. And it was always 40 hrs minimum, sometimes OT.
    I think it really depends on the industry.

The idea of salary with contract on the side makes sense though. Unless you have a salaried job that takes up all your time.
  • king bloo
    king bloo Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On contracts, I've been offered full health and dental when they're long term (i.e. 1yr), but you get ? on the cost.
    Contracts sometimes have the option for 1099 or corp-to-corp instead of W2. That way, you get all your money up front, but you gotta handle the taxes at the end of the year.
    My average contract rate is $65-$85/hr on 1099. The problem is that at that range, you're rarely ever paid time and a half for overtime. I did have one short term contract some years ago that paid just over $70/hr and I got time and a half working 50+hrs a week. That ? was beautiful; a ? pockets was extra swollen.

Right now I'm on a salaried gig, which means cheap benefits, 401K, slightly less pay, paid vacations and sick days. I'm paid salary, but OT is paid at a rate equivalent to what I would get if I was hourly (still straight time though). Travel expenses are also taken care of via corporate credit card instead of out of my pocket and reimbursed later.

Because I'm ? greedy, I'm considering contracting again. One of the bruhs I worked with left a few months ago. I caught up with him revently and he's gettin $150/hr to do the same ? . Most of the time he's sittin in his cube twiddling his thumbs just sittin off.
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I generally like contract the most. But sometimes contract can be lower paying as well. Salaried is okay but I never like to stay at a located too long that I don't own.
  • 7figz
    Options
    king bloo wrote: »
    On contracts, I've been offered full health and dental when they're long term (i.e. 1yr), but you get ? on the cost.
    Contracts sometimes have the option for 1099 or corp-to-corp instead of W2. That way, you get all your money up front, but you gotta handle the taxes at the end of the year.
    My average contract rate is $65-$85/hr on 1099. The problem is that at that range, you're rarely ever paid time and a half for overtime. I did have one short term contract some years ago that paid just over $70/hr and I got time and a half working 50+hrs a week. That ? was beautiful; a ? pockets was extra swollen.

Right now I'm on a salaried gig, which means cheap benefits, 401K, slightly less pay, paid vacations and sick days. I'm paid salary, but OT is paid at a rate equivalent to what I would get if I was hourly (still straight time though). Travel expenses are also taken care of via corporate credit card instead of out of my pocket and reimbursed later.

Because I'm ? greedy, I'm considering contracting again. One of the bruhs I worked with left a few months ago. I caught up with him revently and he's gettin $150/hr to do the same ? . Most of the time he's sittin in his cube twiddling his thumbs just sittin off.

This what I'm talkin' about right here. I'd pretty much be in the same boat as you. What's ya boy do that he cakin' like that ?

• ATL_GA
    ATL_GA Members Posts: 13
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »

This what I'm talkin' about right here. I'd pretty much be in the same boat as you. What's ya boy do that he cakin' like that ?

BRUH.. WHERE DID AND DO YOU WORK NOW TO HAVE A FAT ASS CONTRACT JOB LIKE THAT?
  • king bloo
    king bloo Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

ATL_GA wrote: »

I have a small niche that I'm probably going to exploit in wireless communications. I know 3G and 4G radio networking backwards and forwards, and there's plenty of high paying jobs working with that skillset. My dude is a project manager and he codes in C#, C/C++, Java, and I believe Python.
  • 7figz
    Options
    ATL_GA wrote: »

IT (developer)
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I've done contract work before when I was first a paralegal

It wasn't bad until tax season... Tht was a ? trying to get all my stuff together so I could get the max write offs and not have to owe anything to the IRS