B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray

Options
Age187
Age187 Members Posts: 72
edited January 2012 in Reviewably Incorrect
After listening to The Adventures of Bobby Ray, I completely changed my opinion of mainstream hip hop. It's creative, organic, original,and best of all, it's awesome. Everybody was surprised by the success of B.o.B's lead single, "Nothin' On You" - even his label, which pushed the release date up by a month. Quite simply, there's nobody else like B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray is everything you could hope for from a debut album, it places the strengths of B.o.B as a rapper, singer and performer under a spotlight, making his talents seem brighter than any of his peers.

I was in the cold, trying to keep my toes unfroze
Now I'm in your house, now I'm in the store, now I'm everywhere that your iPod go
Everything I see was a dream just a moment ago

The Adventures of Bobby Ray is one of the most daring mainstream rap albums in the long time. Musically and lyrically, B.o.B dodges almost every cliche in the business, setting up an album that sounds more influenced by rock than rap. He's not really a thug, hustle or womanizer - he's just rapper who works hard. There is no reliance on auto-tune, sampled loops, or electronic drum kits. Instead, B.o.B is backed by live instruments and an incredible guest lineup.

Unlike most rappers, B.o.B is a talented singer, with a big voice that's never outshined by the music. His dynamic vocals are a welcome change from more low-key rap singers like Drake and Kid Cudi. B.o.B's double-time flow and organic sound get him compared to Andre 3000, but he's a worse rapper and a better musician. He's more like a southern K'Naan, bridging the border between rap, rock and pop with ease. It also helps that he recognizes his limitations - Janelle Monae, Bruno Mars and Hayley Williams all contribute guest vocals that really help diversify the sound.

Read More >>>

Comments