Somalia to be the 7th Largest oil rich nation, real soon

Options
Vaseline
Vaseline Members Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in The Social Lounge
''Yet it is the extent of oil deposits beneath the Indian Ocean that is most exciting Somali officials. One said the potential was comparable to that of Kuwait, which has more than 100bn barrels of proven oil reserves. If true, the deposits would eclipse Nigeria's reserves – 37.2bn barrels – and make Somalia the seventh largest oil-rich nation''.
The company estimates there could be up to 4bn barrels (about $500bn worth at today's prices) in its two drilling plots. Other surveys indicate that Puntland province alone has the potential to yield 10bn barrels, placing it among the top 20 countries holding oil.

Somalia's offshore oil dwarfs that on land.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/25/britain-oil-dash-somalia

Comments

• MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That explain why all of a sudden the UK wants to provide aid.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote:
    well, probably explains why everyone and their mother wants to be in charge.

hopefully this will lead to an end to the civil war, but i'll believe it when i see it

I hope Puntland(sp) don't break away and become it's own country and share the wealth with everyone.
  • Vaseline
    Vaseline Members Posts: 23
    Options
    Puntland would never break away, its the heart of Somalia, Plus the Prime minister of the country is from that region and so are numerous key figure politicans. Puntland wants a federal state, which IMO is great because a central state would never work in a country like Somalia.

I highly doubt Puntland is the only region with oil. Also Somalia is known to have 1/2 or 1/4 of the world's known uranium reserves. No wonder its been in choas for over 2 decades.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Somalia is ? , everybody and their mama is strapped and struggling to survive, there is no order or real central government, have known war/poverty and all of it's extremes for decades now

and 'offshore' Somalia has been gettin ? for years now, corps from China to Holland have been dumpin their waste there....

it's not that I gave up hope on Somalia, not at all, but so many things need to happen first it's absurd, it will take years/generations

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    some how i see this not ending well
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesn't matter unless they get a strong and competent central government that isn't corrupt. Otherwise, they are just going to get taken advantage of by outside forces or torn apart my internal ones.

It's not like Africa doesn't have resources that could strengthen the continent. Hell, there are minerals there that modern technology depends on. The countries just can't get themselves together to use those resources to move forward.
  • il nonno
    il nonno Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    Options
    what is it with the so called first world and oil?? When is it enough?
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7th largest though?
    Talk to me when they in the top 3.