Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    BIGRuss wrote:
    Why not?

Idk, I feel burnt out on the series. I give it props for the set pieces and QTE for the bosses but the combat doesnt feel that deep to me. I hope they improve the combat for the next game

I feel the same way after playing GOW 1-3 and the origins collection. Add Dantes Inferno and the last Castlevania, i'm bored with this style of gameplay. They should wait till PS4 to put out another one. Make it a launch title and sell some systems. GOW 4 on PS4.

Sounds nice.

Try the Soul series,(either Demon or Dark souls lol), GOW/CV/DI etc all use the same type of combat gameplay we;ve seen/known since the legacy of kain/soul reaver days(or longer lol), Dark Souls has a completly different/more complex combat system, I thought it was refreshing, kinda like how Ninja Gaiden on the first xbox changed the game

Finished Demon Souls. Working on Dark Souls right now. Probably the best series of games I played this generation.
  • DaFifthElement
    DaFifthElement Members Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Who the ? else Kratos gonna ? ??
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    BIGRuss wrote:
    Why not?

Idk, I feel burnt out on the series. I give it props for the set pieces and QTE for the bosses but the combat doesnt feel that deep to me. I hope they improve the combat for the next game

I feel the same way after playing GOW 1-3 and the origins collection. Add Dantes Inferno and the last Castlevania, i'm bored with this style of gameplay. They should wait till PS4 to put out another one. Make it a launch title and sell some systems. GOW 4 on PS4.

Sounds nice.

Try the Soul series,(either Demon or Dark souls lol), GOW/CV/DI etc all use the same type of combat gameplay we;ve seen/known since the legacy of kain/soul reaver days(or longer lol), Dark Souls has a completly different/more complex combat system, I thought it was refreshing, kinda like how Ninja Gaiden on the first xbox changed the game

Finished Demon Souls. Working on Dark Souls right now. Probably the best series of games I played this generation.

I can't even get into Demons Souls,the idea of starting over every time you die is ? .That ? been sitting on the shelf for 2 years.I find Skyrim to be much better and actually fun.Also to Alkindus,Demons Souls is no where near GOW combat wise as GOW is faster,more rewarding and actually fun. Dark Souls plays like a slow ass Zelda and is nothing that we have never seen before.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    GOW is the ? , but when we are strictly talking about the combat gameplay, it uses the old skool system we've seen in many other games, it;s the intensity of the music/brutal moves/story/puzzles and graphics what makes the series so great. For example, old skool Legacy of Kain, up unto the recent Darksiders, all use a similair combat system as GoW, Santa Monica wasn't the first to use that system in their games lol

Demon/Dark souls has a more 'realistic' battle system in the sense of that each weapon has a different swing (Halberd swings differently than a longsword), there are like a dozen different weapon types/swings, all stamina related and you can use both your arms, weight also plays a role, same can be said for different shield/magic types and so on. It will take time to get used to at first(cause it involves a strategic mindset), but it's complexity/diversity is what keeps these games interesting 60 hours + in lol.

so actually it's the other way around, the soul series came with a fresh new combat system (which Capcom seems to copy now in the upcoming Dragons Dogma, which is awesome lol) and GoW uses a 10 year old combat system(try a oldskool Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain game).
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only time i find GOW combat rewarding is when you use a QTE ? , other than there really isnt any strategy involved. Game like ninja gaiden punish you for button mashing and blocking too much. Game require you to approach every enemy different. The weapon list make the game feels different every time. Combat like DMC and Bayonetta allows you to freestyle your combos and switch weapons on the fly. GOW doesnt provide any of these. You may have multiple weapons but I never felt compelled to use anything but the blades. The challenge from different enemy types is not there. The one thing GOW do have over these game is the epicness but after that there really isnt an incentive to go back to it. I beat GOW 3 twice and never picked it up again. I've beaten NG, DMC and Bayonetta all multiple time and game never get old to me.

As for Demon Souls/Dark Souls, I personally dont feel the combat in that game is deep. you can ? everyone abusing backstabs and you pretty much block and counter or block and attack when there's an opening.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ immediately associating unemployed with living in Detroit
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    BIGRuss wrote:
    Why not?

Sounds nice.

I can't even get into Demons Souls,the idea of starting over every time you die is ? .That ? been sitting on the shelf for 2 years.I find Skyrim to be much better and actually fun.Also to Alkindus,Demons Souls is no where near GOW combat wise as GOW is faster,more rewarding and actually fun. Dark Souls plays like a slow ass Zelda and is nothing that we have never seen before.

Did you get past 1-1 in Demon Souls?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Only time i find GOW combat rewarding is when you use a QTE ? , other than there really isnt any strategy involved. Game like ninja gaiden punish you for button mashing and blocking too much. Game require you to approach every enemy different. The weapon list make the game feels different every time. Combat like DMC and Bayonetta allows you to freestyle your combos and switch weapons on the fly. GOW doesnt provide any of these. You may have multiple weapons but I never felt compelled to use anything but the blades. The challenge from different enemy types is not there. The one thing GOW do have over these game is the epicness but after that there really isnt an incentive to go back to it. I beat GOW 3 twice and never picked it up again. I've beaten NG, DMC and Bayonetta all multiple time and game never get old to me.

As for Demon Souls/Dark Souls, I personally dont feel the combat in that game is deep. you can ? everyone abusing backstabs and you pretty much block and counter or block and attack when there's an opening.

* returns to nerd modus *

actually, you cannot backstab atleast half of the enemies in Dark Souls lol(think Tombs of Giants/Demon ruins style etc), it's simply not possible....and you can make the combat as deep as you want it to be, gear/armor determined and the way u level up.

same can be said for the brilliance that was Ninja Gaiden, u could use that jump slice and dice move(forget the name) over and over if you wanted to + spam a couple of other moves and beat the game, thats all up to u. Technically both games(NG and DS) have deep combat systems.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alkindus wrote:

* returns to nerd modus *

actually, you cannot backstab atleast half of the enemies in Dark Souls lol(think Tombs of Giants/Demon ruins style etc), it's simply not possible....and you can make the combat as deep as you want it to be, gear/armor determined and the way u level up.

same can be said for the brilliance that was Ninja Gaiden, u could use that jump slice and dice move(forget the name) over and over if you wanted to + spam a couple of other moves and beat the game, thats all up to u. Technically both games(NG and DS) have deep combat systems.

U must be talking the flying swallow, and you cant abuse that on the higher difficulty/harder enemy since they can block or counter it
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fake.....not buyin it.....