DISNEY have FIRST BLACK DISNEY PRINCESS pushing WATERMELON CANDY

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
DisneyPrincesses.jpg

I mean who in the hell think of ? like that, what's next they going to have UNCLE REMUS south460.jpg from SONG OF THE SOUTH to push COTTON CANDY.

Disney’s Only Black Princess Hawks Watermelon Candy, White Sleeping Beauty Hawks Vanilla

disney-princess-candy-thumb-240xauto-5490.jpg

So Disney has about 10 princesses—only one of which is black—and some marketing genius decided that their lone black Princess Tiana would be perfect to sell their watermelon flavored candy.

Stereotype much?

“As usual, it’s hard to believe that anyone would intentionally make this kind of insensitive mistake, but pairing the white girl with vanilla and the black girl with watermelon should have set off an alarm in someone’s mind,” wrote Thembi Ford at Clutch Magazine.

“Perhaps the stereotype linking black folks with watermelon is too antiquated for most people to recall, but this is the kind of eye-roll-worthy mistake that happens when companies don’t go that extra step to make sure they’re not forgetting something,” Ford went on to say.

According to Sociological Images, the watermelon stereotypes date all the way to slave times:

According to David Pilgrim, the curator of the Jim Crow Museum, defenders of slavery used the watermelon as a symbol of simplicity. African Americans, the argument went, were happy as slaves. They didn’t need the complicated responsibilities of freedom; they just needed some shade and a cool, delicious treat.

Sociological Images, who first broke the story, wrote, “In light of [the] history, as well as the ongoing racism, the product below — a Valentine’s Day candy that pairs two Disney princesses — is rather, let’s say, insensitive. The White Cinderella character decorates the vanilla flavored side; the Black Tiana character decorates the watermelon flavored side. Just… wow.”

So to recap, not only does Disney’s only black princess like to kiss frogs, but now she likes watermelon too?

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who cares? What flavor would have been more appropriate? Is this really something worth making a big deal out of? Yeah it's stereotypical, but as stereotypes go, it's pretty benign.

On a somewhat related note, I was reading about the Manson family murders. Manson wanted to start a race war, so he got his people to try and fix the murder scenes so it appeared that the murders were committed by blacks. So they put painted paw prints on the walls to try and make it seem like the Black Panther Party was behind it. They also left watermelon rinds behind at the scene. This ? was funny as hell to me when I first read it. Do white people think that black people carry watermelons with them whever they go? I mean who would go commit a murder while eating some watermelon? lol
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why do all the hip hop sites have all the same ? on them?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bankrupt baller
    Options
    TheJamel wrote: »
    apparently we came out ahead on this one... the watermelon flavor is a known favorite amongst kids.

exactly nobody wants ? vanilla candy lol
  • waterproof
    Options
    Who cares? What flavor would have been more appropriate? Is this really something worth making a big deal out of? Yeah it's stereotypical, but as stereotypes go, it's pretty benign.

On a somewhat related note, I was reading about the Manson family murders. Manson wanted to start a race war, so he got his people to try and fix the murder scenes so it appeared that the murders were committed by blacks. So they put painted paw prints on the walls to try and make it seem like the Black Panther Party was behind it. They also left watermelon rinds behind at the scene. This ? was funny as hell to me when I first read it. Do white people think that black people carry watermelons with them whever they go? I mean who would go commit a murder while eating some watermelon? lol

and that's the point it's sterotypical, with Disney records of racist cartoons and movies berr rabbit and the tar baby..... there's people that get paid MAJOR BUCKS to prevent any type of ? that can back fire on them
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

white people....lol
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LMAO
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I never got the whole watermelon thing. whats so bad about watermelons? and how did they get pinned on black people like a diss?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whaaaaaambulance...
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh...Disney always been racist..
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree about Disney being suspect, but I see no foul with the Uncle Remus and Song of the South story.

If you look underneath the Euro-centric ? , you will find a combination of West African and Creek Indian folklore...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    I agree about Disney being suspect, but I see no foul with the Uncle Remus and Song of the South story.

If you look underneath the Euro-centric ? , you will find a combination of West African and Creek Indian folklore...

I know about the history of Berr rabbit, we all heard the stories being passdowned to us when we was younger but Uncle Remus really represent the lie that the racist woods used that they used in GONE WITH THE WIND that slaves was happy to be slaves and love they ? 's and misses and the churrlden, like when the ol faithful slave Mammy beating the Union soliders screaming leave my home alone, lol. Uncle Remus was freed to leave the plantation but decided to stay because he was happy where he was at. That was a lie that was being told that slavery wasnt bad and we was happy being slaves. Singing, eating watermelon and we was cool with it
  • bankrupt baller
    Options
    why do all the hip hop sites have all the same ? on them?

Bcuz all the hip-hop sites are flooded by the same Caucasian emo lames.

so whats your names on the other sites?

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

I know about the history of Berr rabbit, we all heard the stories being passdowned to us when we was younger but Uncle Remus really represent the lie that the racist woods used that they used in GONE WITH THE WIND that slaves was happy to be slaves and love they ? 's and misses and the churrlden, like when the ol faithful slave Mammy beating the Union soliders screaming leave my home alone, lol. Uncle Remus was freed to leave the plantation but decided to stay because he was happy where he was at. That was a lie that was being told that slavery wasnt bad and we was happy being slaves. Singing, eating watermelon and we was cool with it

No doubt waterproof... I have never wasted my time by watching GONE WITH THE WIND, but have seen SONG OF THE SOUTH as a youth and remember no coonery in the film. I am well aware of the representation that slaves were happy in their positions, not only are these lies spread in film, but they are still predominate in the local history of many Southern cities.

I am not defending the film, but think that we should take ownership of our ancestral folklore and remove the outside (racist) interpretations.
  • waterproof
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

No doubt waterproof... I have never wasted my time by watching GONE WITH THE WIND, but have seen SONG OF THE SOUTH as a youth and remember no coonery in the film. I am well aware of the representation that slaves were happy in their positions, not only are these lies spread in film, but they are still predominate in the local history of many Southern cities.

I am not defending the film, but think that we should take ownership of our ancestral folklore and remove the outside (racist) interpretations.

oh no doubt, like i said i remember being told those berr rabbit stories and the book being read to me in my youth, I am a generation removed from the South and love our folklore and stories of our ancestors who have stories that was passdown from many generations, from medical remedies to hearing stories of the people working the roots. But like you said I 100% agree with you that we need to take ownership of our ancestral folklore and remove the outside interpretations
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Why the ? does the "Little Mermaid" have legs?

? is the same height as the other hoes.

She's neither little nor a mermaid.