Contemporary Young American Culture

Options
2»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    What difference does it make how often I've criticized a nation that isn't America?
    i've said this before: it undermines the argument if you only make the argument about the US when it applies more widely.
    You already have admitted I've criticized Israel, so there you go.
    i think i also noticed that this is not a true example of expanding the scope of the complaint.
    In either case this topic is talking about YOUNG AMERICAN culture.
    a fair point, but at the same time, my position that saying "only America is turbo-immoral" is wrong applies to ANYONE making that argument.
    -based on what I am hearing politicians say these days, it's likely a war with Iran will take place sometime this year.
    we've also been hearing this claim for something like six years, so...
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    Sex and all sexual relations are reserved for married partners (male and female). This is the case in Judaism and Christianity also, I believe. I am not saying me or anyone else living is fit to judge anyone else, and we all do stray from our paths, but abstinence (until marriage) and piety are elements of walking the right path and what have you.

I can agree with you here. Sex, like many things in life, should be done in moderation and with prudence. And so sex exclusively for marriage is ideal for many reasons. However, as you insinuated, life is a lot more complicated and we can never truly be perfect judges nor should we try to. If you throw in the real-life forces of temptation, pressure, hormones, and freedom (which imo is a bad and good thing), then you can clearly see how the ideal approach to "morality" is extremely difficult. Thus, you have the current state of "decadence" in American that is not only repulsive but in many ways only logical.
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    Even in terms of secular "morality" , chastity is a desired trait.

For women, yes (even though men may act upon the opposite idea). For men though? I'm not sure. And from there, we can get into double standards, but I'd rather not.
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    Anyways, what I am trying to get an opinion on is what is up with America's culture? I dunno if it's just me, but it's like everywhere I look, including colleges, workplaces, streets, television, and music especially, everything is so sexual. Is it just my skewed perspective? I am pretty good with noticing nuances in peoples' actions which speak for them (actions speak louder than words and what not). I don't mean this as in I judge people or anything, it's just that if you meet someone with a swatsika tatted on their temple, then you already know what's good. So in that sense, I am an observer (not a creeper though...lol). It's like everyone is jus tryin to sex everyone.

You've either lived a sheltered life, or I'm misunderstanding you. Because sex is as American as apple pie. Whether it's used to sell products or for pleasure or for money, it's been used very successfully because human beings are sexual creatures. The media or whoever obviosuly knows this and just exploits this fact. Look at repressed societies where immoral sex is forbidden and I bet you that you can find all instances of it. It will just be hidden underground.

Whizdom187 wrote:
    Is it just my age group?

I would agree. That much of it is about young people. Young people have thier hormones, sociability (like college!), freedom (like college!), and it's become the norm to have casual sex so there you go. Not only that, but I believe that young people are easy targets to be influenced by corporations, the media, etc. Older people tend to have more stable lives and even if they don't, they can go about things in a more sound and mature way. Or hopefully they can at least. Though some are still stuck in their young days or in immaturity. Or that's how I see it anyway.

Power is also a key factor. Those with power, regardless of age, are more prone to temptation simply because they either can afford it or they beleive they are above morality. Just ask Tiger Woods.
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    It can't be, because there is so much adultery also.

Yeah, but people commit adultery for other less "immoral" reasons too. Such as choosing the wrong spouse but not having the courage to get out of it. Or being unsatisfied. Or even just being bored or having a mid-life crisis. Or being stupid-? . I wouldn't say that these are as "bad" as commiting adultery just because you wanted it that badly.
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    Adulterers pretty much have their own little niche communities (seriously).

If you're referring to swingers then I don't know. I would guess that many swingers don't see themselves as adulterers because in their eyes they may see it as a lifestyle compatible with monagamy and something that can even help thier marriage. But I don't know.
    Whizdom187 wrote:
    Search any recent divorce rates or trends, and they are ridiculous. Teenagers on drugs having unprotected (on top of it all) sex. Young dudes sniffin pills. So much alcoholism also. Its so disgusting at times, and the innocence of a child is just so much more pure when you think about all this. I hope I didn't get too far off, but just droppin some real thoughts, whatchu guys think?

This is nothing new and shouldn't be shocking. And let's not exxagerate. We know that not all young people are like this or are that extreme. But I think that you're very right in saying that this is a culture. And we know all how powerful cultures can be.

But I don't buy the whole "innocence of a child" idea. Children can be just as deviant in their own ways. They just graduate to bigger things when they get older. It's all human nature.