Chuck D "Jay Z And Kanye West's Bases Are "Corrupt To Rap"

waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
this is the 2nd half of an interview Chuck D done for hiphopdx

DX: Speaking of, you just did on March 2nd via Twitter [@MrChuckD]. I gotta ask you about your tweet, “Ye is a Hip Hop ? as Jay is, but their bases are corrupt to Rap.” Were you saying their fanbases, their corporate bases, or both?

Chuck D: Their corporate bases are corrupt to Rap.

I mean, why would you think any different? Listen man, in any kind of business what you want is fair trade. This is what people lobby for, this is what people protest for, fair trade. And fair trade is actually saying that, Alright, you have somebody who comes up in a local [scene], at least they should be heard on local radio. But corporate radio and corporations have dominated over that existence, wiping out that foundation [for fairness]. And therefore the little business can’t even start up right, unless it’s corrupt and just totally, violently opposed to what the community is evolved from. So you gotta be national to even make it locally, where you should be local to make it locally. And even down to speaking to a school or whatever, if the local artists at the top of the local pack aren’t revered as being some sort of heroes, then who you gonna get to talk to the kids at the schools and all that? You gotta wait for a national hero, who might never come? So, too many people are focused on national [artists] who never will come in front of their own eyes and face on a one-on-one relationship. It’s almost like people are screaming at a dream.

In the past you would have somebody from the local are who would actually give advice, give inspiration, be able to be some sort of benchmark for people to follow if they wanted to do the same thing. So that has been totally eradicated as far as the community is concerned, destroyed by urban corporate radio, which means … take the Black ownership out. And also destroyed by the corporation of recording situations which kind of like dominate over those radio stations.

And over television. Somebody does an independent video, they can’t get it on Viacom networks, unless they deliver it with closed caption, high-definition, and also it has to be sanctioned, it has to be agreed upon. It’s a game, so … the Internet is an ally, and it’s supplementary, but it could never be a main venue for your local survival.

DX: I wanna get more into that discussion about corporate control here in a minute, but I do have one more question regarding that tweet I asked you about. You additionally tweeted that Kanye and Jay’s song, “Ngs in Paris appeals to who? Black folk in France? USA White kids? Black kids who probably never learn further about it, perhaps never go there?” Can you elaborate on that tweet for me a little bit?

Chuck D: I think it’s self-explanatory; it’s more like a statement. It’s like, appeals to who? It’s also a question, maybe you can fill it [in]? ‘Cause it’s like, Black kids who would never know about a Paris or a France … “? In Paris” means what? Who’s happy about that at the end of the day? ? in Paris? [Laughs] Is that what they saying? Or, White people in the United States who are happy to just say, “Well, yeah, there’s a bunch of ? in Paris”? You tell me. I mean, don’t ask me, tell me. What do you think?

DX: I just presume that they – This is a presumption, obviously, that Kanye and Jay thought that was a progressive statement in some way.

Chuck D: Alright, in what way? I mean, it ain’t like you in fifth grade, maybe you can tell me.

DX: Just that – I think you actually had a [Twitter] follower tweet you something to the extent of that he was inspired by the song, that it made him think he could be in Paris someday too I guess, I don’t know.

Chuck D: Well don’t say you don’t know. Either you know or you don’t. I mean, I’m just saying, it’s like, what do you think? This is what I’m saying, I just put out a tweet that was just like saying, Okay, now where do you wanna really sit with this? When does it get to a point where – It doesn’t allow us to be like bi-polar with it, like, “Oh yeah, I don’t wanna be called no ? in anything, but at the same time I can be a ? in Paris.”

And I’m not even trying to get deep on the issue other than the fact that there are plenty of other songs that get no light, at all, on these same radio stations because of “? In Paris.” So the best answer was probably Yasiin Bey, a/k/a Mos Def’s response, “? In Poorest.” Maybe that should be played as much, right?

So, I think they’re Hip Hop Gods, but at the same time it’s like I don’t think you can be 35 and 40 years old and just pretend to be 12 and 15. C’mon now. [Sighs] What do you think?

DX: I’m as frustrated as you are, honestly.

Chuck D: I mean, I’m not mad at them, I’m happy that they’re great artists. But at the same time, I’m always gonna be mad at the machine. I’m always gonna be angry at corporations. And I’m always gonna be angry at people that show off their money to the poor and the growing poor in America and across the world. That’s just how I am. And people can say that’s bitter, but why wouldn’t I be angry at that? I know I’m privileged, but I’m just totally, totally against somebody showing off riches to the poor. It goes against every ? ’ storybook tale that we’ve learned since kindergarten. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor and was a hero. How the ? you gonna rob from the poor and be the rich and be a hero? It just doesn’t make any damn sense

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he got some very valid points but this can be said about every single rapper on a major mainstream label.
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    he got some very valid points but this can be said about every single rapper on a major mainstream label.

that's true and that let us know that we are being pushed ? and there's alot of people who like how ? taste in their mouth, I mean if you in your 30's and still showin out like that, that make us look stupid. grown ass men's in their mid 30's and damn near in their mid 40's calling themselves ? in paris
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *waits for people to say he hatin*
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    waterproof wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »

that's true and that let us know that we are being pushed ? and there's alot of people who like how ? taste in their mouth, I mean if you in your 30's and still showin out like that, that make us look stupid. grown ass men's in their mid 30's and damn near in their mid 40's calling themselves ? in paris

True that but it's all a difference on how ppl look at things. I'm sure folks are going to come in here talking bout how ? in paris is inspiring> And to some it might be in some way. You have ppl who think having money and status means you made it. To drive an expensive car means they have made it. Personally my grandfather never instilled in my that as a black man I've know I've made when i got to Paris. Or want to dive into European fashion b/c that's supposed to be the epicenter of style and high class. miss me with that ? sounds like a white man's wish
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i find it funny that both of those videos (paris, rich n black) are fully of white people
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, Chuck D doesn't believe that progressive/reflective songs about success can inspire people. He also implied that Jay and Kanye's black fans will never be able to travel internationally. The snarky comment about [Jay and Ye's] age only proves that there is cynicism regarding "luxury/grown up" rap.
  • waterproof
    $? wrote: »
    i find it funny that both of those videos (paris, rich n black) are fully of white people

White always want to be apart of our culture, you have rich white man in New York who went to harlem at night to experience our culture, like they used to go to our juke joints on the river late at night to soak up our culture and music.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Young Guru more than any of these self righteous kuffi ? . Why are ya'll ? mad at Jay and Kanye for rapping about what they truly live, i agree that there needs to be balance (which WTT had) but the issue is not Jay or Kanye it's the major labels and radio.

I'm kind of sick of ? with this mentality that the black experience is only limited to the struggle. ? outta here with that ? , not all of us came from poverty and struggle and there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you or your family worked for.

Stop attributing the worst ? to being black or the whole black experience. It's a lot of ? out her kicking that conscious ? that ain't backing up their claims with money or charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rlCK9UcPk
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, Chuck D doesn't believe that progressive/reflective songs about success can inspire people. He also implied that Jay and Kanye's black fans will never be able to travel internationally. The snarky comment about [Jay and Ye's] age only proves that there is cynicism regarding "luxury/grown up" rap.

Chuck D: I mean, I’m not mad at them, I’m happy that they’re great artists. But at the same time, I’m always gonna be mad at the machine. I’m always gonna be angry at corporations. And I’m always gonna be angry at people that show off their money to the poor and the growing poor in America and across the world. That’s just how I am. And people can say that’s bitter, but why wouldn’t I be angry at that? I know I’m privileged, but I’m just totally, totally against somebody showing off riches to the poor. It goes against every ? ’ storybook tale that we’ve learned since kindergarten. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor and was a hero. How the ? you gonna rob from the poor and be the rich and be a hero? It just doesn’t make any damn sense.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

White always want to be apart of our culture, you have rich white man in New York who went to harlem at night to experience our culture, like they used to go to our juke joints on the river late at night to soak up our culture and music.

@ the bolded....it works both ways obviously as you can see by this thread with jay and kanye loving everything european
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I agree with Young Guru more than any of these self righteous kuffi ? . Why are ya'll ? mad at Jay and Kanye for rapping about what they truly live, i agree that there needs to be balance (which WTT had) but the issue is not Jay or Kanye it's the major labels and radio.

I'm kind of sick of ? with this mentality that the black experience is only limited to the struggle. ? outta here with that ? , not all of us came from poverty and struggle and there is nothing wrong with being proud of what you or your family worked for.

Stop attributing the worst ? to being black or the whole black experience. It's a lot of ? out her kicking that conscious ? that ain't backing up their claims with money or charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rlCK9UcPk

GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT ? , you said ? think the Black Experience only related to the struggle in the words of Jay somebody done bleach your dome. Then you aint never read Booker T Washington, WEB Dubois books are MLK sermons, lISTEN to Jazz, learned about the harlem renaissance, heard a Malcolm X sermon, listen to Ice-Cube, ATCQ, read about Black Wallstreet, Muhammad Ali, Black Enterprise i can go on and on forever.

your love for another man is straight sickening, i bet you let jay slap the ? out of you with a stack of one's
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chuck D: I mean, I’m not mad at them, I’m happy that they’re great artists. But at the same time, I’m always gonna be mad at the machine. I’m always gonna be angry at corporations. And I’m always gonna be angry at people that show off their money to the poor and the growing poor in America and across the world. That’s just how I am. And people can say that’s bitter, but why wouldn’t I be angry at that? I know I’m privileged, but I’m just totally, totally against somebody showing off riches to the poor. It goes against every ? ’ storybook tale that we’ve learned since kindergarten. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor and was a hero. How the ? you gonna rob from the poor and be the rich and be a hero? It just doesn’t make any damn sense.

I bet that ? ain't giving up those checks he made from his PE days, having the nerve to talk about Robin Hood. Kanye and Jay-z employ many black folks or gave them starting positions in the music business, name one person Chuck D employs or has ever put on. All these old ? do is ? and complain, what they fail to acknowledge is you have to get inside the system ( a position of power) to change the system. You think these companies are gonna throw money behind something that ain't selling units.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    waterproof wrote:

i never understood that "hey, your people are struggling so you shouldn't celebrate the fact you're successful" logic. kanye & jay, as well as many other successful people from all colors were the ones struggling once upon a time. if anything it should inspire the ones that are struggling to make something of themselves instead of using their environment as an excuse of not being ? . how you gonna get mad at the next ? , that was in the same position you're currently in, for having the ambition that your lazy ass lack?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ the bolded....it works both ways obviously as you can see by this thread with jay and kanye loving everything european

Co-sign to the fullest. Even the most "street" rappers have incorporate material and luxury items of white culture. A "real ? " according to songs cant just have a domestic beer at the club the need to have high class european vodka or wine. Rick Ross has one of the most urban sounding music labels in hip hop named after the european maybach.

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with chuck d on this one. I have thought this for a while its like how can you talk about how much dough you stacking and the money you got and the car you driving and ? like that. When the people that are copping your albums, saving money to go to your shows and all around supporting you aren't well off. I mean more than piracy I think that has really hurt the game. How you gon subliminal diss the people that buy ya ? ?
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    waterproof wrote:

i never understood that "hey, your people are struggling so you shouldn't celebrate the fact you're successful" logic. kanye & jay, as well as many other successful people from all colors were the ones struggling once upon a time. if anything it should inspire the ones that are struggling to make something of themselves instead of using their environment as an excuse of not being ? . how you gonna get mad at the next ? , that was in the same position you're currently in, for having the ambition that your lazy ass lack?

I agree with this. Cats always harp about pain, and never about victory.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a rap fan, but I can't relate to any rap songs.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    wait so he co-signs " Flavor of Love " which is owned by Viacom but no love for NIP?
  • supersajinfo
    supersajinfo Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    I can understand him getting on jay for all that euro pseudo high class ? .
    I will say this there is nothing wrong with us celebrating success in hip hop ? need to get off that we are all victims ? . Artist should be held to a standard yet at the same time have freedom to express themselves.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be mad at chuck, music has no message anymore. If it ain't about money drugs and hoes its ignored.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »

I bet that ? ain't giving up those checks he made from his PE days, having the nerve to talk about Robin Hood. Kanye and Jay-z employ many black folks or gave them starting positions in the music business, name one person Chuck D employs or has ever put on. All these old ? do is ? and complain, what they fail to acknowledge is you have to get inside the system ( a position of power) to change the system. You think these companies are gonna throw money behind something that ain't selling units.

Jay-Z and Kanye are the epitome of "been in the system with a position of power to change the system". I think Jay would be okay without a major. Jay and Kanye would both do well without having to sign to a major, therefore changing the system from such a corporate strangehold. I mean, Kanye embarrassed a white country singer while ? at a major awards show and bounced back like nothing and Jay-Z released a well recieved Blueprint 3. If Mac Miller can go platinum independently, then I'm sure these two ? can too - easy.

Chuck D is not and has not been in the position that Jay-Z is. No rapper ever has been. I don't think he has to give up any checks, but I think my ? needs to use his influence to help the genre a lil more cause right now, he's just taking. Same for Ye.

For the record, I'm talking about the business of rap music. The background players, the ones with the influence of the culture like it was before.
  • supersajinfo
    supersajinfo Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    I find Chuck hypocritcical man he lets Flav get away with real shucking and jiving .Do I blelieve ye and jay to big superstars yes .But I recognize them as the old guard.We got young guys who are out here who are actively changing the way Deals,promotion,and music is sold.Kanye has created a power house label independent of jays .I think if anybody is capable of making they change out of those too its ye dude has the ability and confidence to say ? the system in entirely and people will follow him.Yet ye seems to be too comfortable right now .
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Chuck was getting at Jay and Ye just because they are successfull and show it off well. I think it was more along the lines of at least representing something thats real. I'm not saying every artist should set out to be P.E. but at least stand on something that people can apply or give them something to think about other than "whats 50g's to a ? like me", 50 stacks would chang a lot of ? life's, nothing wrong with braggadocio lyrics but it gets to a point where you either kicking ? that relates to the listener's or you kickin ? that relates to you and ? like you as an emcee.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Chuck was getting at Jay and Ye just because they are successfull and show it off well. I think it was more along the lines of at least representing something thats real. I'm not saying every artist should set out to be P.E. but at least stand on something that people can apply or give them something to think about other than "whats 50g's to a ? like me", 50 stacks would chang a lot of ? life's, nothing wrong with braggadocio lyrics but it gets to a point where you either kicking ? that relates to the listener's or you kickin ? that relates to you and ? like you as an emcee.

some black men are doing well despite obstacles that were in there way... thats what I take from NIP... how can u criticize that message?

"u escape what I escaped, u be in paris getting ? up too"...

I'm not saying it's not an inspirational song if that's what inspires you. I'm saying it's a lot of people still trying to find out how to escape, I'm doing well despite obstacles in my way myself but I can't ignore the fact that it's not all about me. Chuck aint just a old ? hating, he's made songs thats gone be legendary forever, it's just about what you standing on and what you want ya legacy to be, not saying they aint doing nothing for nobody but it's about the message you rep. if thats the message you accept and that gets you going then bang that ? .
This discussion has been closed.