I know Kendrick Lamar Regrets this

HottestMcs
HottestMcs Members Posts: 35
edited March 2012 in The Reason
http://hottestmcs.com/2012/03/regrets-kendrick-lamar.html

I've been listening to Drake's Take Care, and I realized how important The Buried Alive Introduction is to Kendrick Lamar's career. This opportunity opened doors for a whole new demographic of listeners to hear Kendrick. I don't think he made the best of this opportunity. He was cool, but look at Busta Rhymes on Scenario! This is supposed to be Kendrick's debut to mainstream I think Kendrick will be fine but he missed out on a great way to pickup steam for his own project. Dr. Dre will have to find another way.

Follow Me on Twitter @BigDaddyCaine
HottestMCs.com

Comments

• Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eeehhh, I guess its some truth to this
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think his verse on Game's RED about was his debut to Mainstream bro
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kendrick fudd is wack
    2nd worst song on take care
    gunplay ? on his life on cereal and cartoons
  • HottestMcs
    edited March 2012

I think that was a good record, and the video will be out soon. But Way more people are going to hear Drake's album than Games. The Game is presenting him to the West coast. Drake is arguably the hottest in the game right now.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Game isn't presenting him tot he West Coast. Game has been working with TDE for years. Everyone knows Kendrick on the West coast.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, also I think K. dot made the weird unorthodox sound on Drake album so alot of mainstream can know he is experimenting with his craft and he is not afraid to push boundaries. Also his lazy flow on the buried alive hit ppl of guard because anyone who has a chance to appeal to the masses, will come harder, but Kendrick went the opposite route to show that he is different.

• BackInWhite
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Same here, also I think K. dot made the weird unorthodox sound on Drake album so alot of mainstream can know he is experimenting with his craft and he is not afraid to push boundaries. Also his lazy flow on the buried alive hit ppl of guard because anyone who has a chance to appeal to the masses, will come harder, but Kendrick went the opposite route to show that he is different.

oh ok, i get it
    be wack on purpose to show how different you are
    he's taking the lil b route
    got it
  • blackdemo
    blackdemo Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Whoa whoa whoa!!!

YO, that verse was one of the deepest verses ive heard in a LOOOONGG time that verse was Nas illmatic status b. paints a picture so vividly. if u dont agree then u just dont understand the song.

Im gonna post the lyrics, but ill have explanations for every bar
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a dope interlude..I don't think it hurt him in anyway..plus let's not act like a majority of ppl buying a Drake album would give Kendrick a listen anyway..
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Drake "stanbase" are to type to even ? with a ? like K Dot anyways. His fanbase are the type that likes that sugar coated ? , K Dot spits deeper ? .

I think that collabo project with J Cole will do more for his career, because that's more to his fanbase.
  • BackInWhite
    lol @ anything with j.cole doing anything for anybody's career
    extra lol @ that wack ass song going over anybody head
    ? was so wack it had to have gone over my head, of course!
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    backinwhite and usmarine yall not watching the jay concert goin on right now?
  • BackInWhite
    i'm watchin hoarders
    jay lost me as a fan a long time ago
    still think he's the best rapper but post american gangsta ? jay gets no love from me
  • 2Fresh2def
    2Fresh2def Members Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

lol oops, that ? forgot about that ? lol
  • 2Fresh2def
    kendrick fudd is wack

lmao, i wouldnt call him wack but he is certainly not the most interesting ? around
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kendrick fudd is wack

lol that cat do sound like elmer tho..

in da welay im da wunaway wabbit..

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm watchin hoarders
    jay lost me as a fan a long time ago
    still think he's the best rapper but post american gangsta ? jay gets no love from me

nah he doin all the old ?
  • 2Fresh2def
    kendrick fudd is wack

lmao, i wouldnt call him wack but he is certainly not the most interesting ? around
  • 2Fresh2def
    smh @ him regretting this, yall nerd ? cherish this ? too much, everytime there is a new nerd rapper, yall ? think he's gonna so called save the game and sell like ''02'' 50 cent, well sorry nerds , he's not , this ? will be lucky to do 250,000 just being real
  • HottestMcs
    That verse was definitely not wack
  • blackdemo
    "If you was in a pine box
    I would surely break the lock
    I’d jump right in and fall asleep
    Cause you are the death of me

This might seem like a straightforward message of him talking about how much he cares about someone, but really it’s nothing like that at all. He’s using death as symbolism for becoming mainstream or “selling out”

Looking in the mirror I’m embarrassed
    I’m feeling like a suicidal terrorist
    React like an infant whenever you are mentioned

Kendrick feels like a hypocrite for how he used to act like a child when mainstream artists such as Drake were mentioned. Either disrespecting or discrediting them due to jealousy

Now he feels like a suicidal terrorist because he’s killing the person he used to be for hopes of a better life. (Similar to the afterlife that terrorists are often promised for the sacrifice)

He is embarrassed because when he looks in the mirror he realizes he is becoming a mainstream rapper and is on the verge of blowing up

Mind over matter never worked for my nemesis

mind over matter is a term used to describe the belief that the mind is more powerful than the body. a nemesis is defined as a persons weakness or the thing that will ruin them. so he’s saying the fundamentals of mind over matter never worked when it comes to his nemesis (which is the fame, money, and vanity talked about through the song)

I’m in the matter of man arm wrestling hands
    I was dope when I said the music business was all I needed
    A record deal and fame was all he ever wanted. But when he finally signed his contract the A&R’s/the music business' hand shake felt strong and painful like a match of arm wrestling
    When I got it I was greeted by an alien
    When he finally got his sound right, he met Fame. On this track, Kendrick (like several rappers in the past) personifies Fame and gives her a somewhat poisonous personality. The term Alien is Kendrick Lamar’s way of describing a beautiful woman. He shares this with us in his track “Alien Girl” off of the O.verly D.edicated EP

That said last year that she slept with a Canadian
    That gave him an addiction
    That would keep him in Mercedes Benz
    Bright lights and Rhianna as a lady friend
    Kendrick goes on to explain how Fame was essentially bragging about how she made “The Canadian” (Drake) addicted to vanity and led to him living a flashy lifestyle, driving nice cars, going to nice places and being friends with stars like Rihanna
    My vice is similar
    Kendrick feels as though he is also getting drawn into the vanity slave lifestyle, especially when it comes to women
    women love when your my type
    It seems that since meeting Fame, Kendrick has also gotten acquainted with some of her friends (groupies)
    And you winning from everything that your palm write
    They especially love it when you got the fame and the money from the songs that you write. For a true artiste like Kendrick, it is impossible to avoid groupie attention
    Put her in the Palms Hotel, sin city
    Devil in a dress, Platinum Chanel
    Live the ambiance all cause the audience
    One day said I would do it
    Kendrick explains how easy it is to get caught up in your own hype from the energy of some of the fans

Drake also references this phenomenon in Fear

“But it’s funny having fans
    Who find you before anybody ever has the chance
    And build you up so you could be the biggest in the game
    And realize when you’re there, sometimes the ? don’t feel the same”

So instead of a verse being read
    Ima go ‘n get some head off the strength of my music
    Instead of reading a verse from the Bible, he goes to get head from a woman that is probably only interested because of the fame his music brought him
    I tell a bad ? your ass too fat
    Capitalize That, and you weave look good
    With the Indian tracks
    Kendrick realizes that in order to be successful in the industry (or capitalize), he needs to degrade women in a way while still trying to sugarcoat it so that they will still buy his music
    Tracking device on your used 5 series
    I don’t call back just blame it on your Canadian
    The same day we say we in the area cruisin’ in Toronto
    Hit me on the cellular, thought he was gonna sell me a false word
    Like the rappers I know
    Sat down with a few drinks, located where you can’t see us
    A white waitress on standby when we need her
    Speaking about meeting Drake when he was on tour in Toronto. He thought Drake would just say they’ll work together but not follow through with it, but Kendrick Lamar was proven wrong and got put on the album
    He explains exactly this situation on a recent interview with MTV

A black Maybach 40 pulled up G
    No doors all that ? was missing was Aaliyah
    Felt like the initiation
    A reality living in the matrix
    In the movie The Matrix, Neo is initiated into the real world by choosing the red pill. Kendrick sees Drake and learns about living with fame from the encounter
    He felt like Drake was bringing him into the game. Into the higher part of the game and bringing him out of the underground. Now, his dreams are coming true so he is no longer living reality, he is in the matrix of life

We talk casually about the industry
    And how the women be the taste makers for the ? we makin’
    Then he said that he was the same age as myself
    And it didn’t help cuz it made me even more rude and impatient
    Kendrick and Drake almost share the same age (June 17, 1987 and October 24, 1986).
    When Kendrick sees everything that comes with the fame he wants to become famous, too. ASAP!
    He gets impatient when Drake tells him that his time is yet to come and that he probably should focus more on a healthy growth as an artist than to rush to his 15 minutes of fam

So blame it on Mr OVOXO, the reason why I’m breathing on the vanity I know
    The reason why my best friend said she love me more than life
    But I live a double life and need to let her go
    Kendrick is suggesting that his best friend, most likely a personification of truth, or being true to his art, loves him — but he is flirting with fame and is going to have to let truth go to become famous
    The reason why the highlight was when he said
    You alone to the people when you outside
    So dig a shovel full of money, full of power, full of ? , full of fame
    And bury yourself alive, then I died"
    A powerful metaphor for the trappings of fame — you may be surrounded by wonderful things, but you are in essence buried underground — kept away from other people and meaningful interactions the same lifestyle that provides you with said things

With this metaphor of digging his own grave he closes the circle to the very first metaphor in the song, the pine box coffin
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo heard the track and meh , talking about the first time you met someone is not interesting and why didn't you post the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBuVccZr7mI
  • blackdemo
    I didnt post every single explanation cuz its alot of work but u should get most of it, this song was deep, n one of the est verses of 2011 n one of kendrick's best verses period, i dont understand how u dont think he went the ? in. smh man, did u listen to it or skim thru it??????????????????????????
  • BackInWhite
    lucky to do 250k?!
    i think that ? will be lucky to do 100k overall
    ? head shaped like a hershey kiss and he got a speech impediment
    on top of that he do all that extra wack ? and raps like a def poetry jam ?
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackdemo wrote: »
    "If you was in a pine box
    I would surely break the lock
    I’d jump right in and fall asleep
    Cause you are the death of me

This might seem like a straightforward message of him talking about how much he cares about someone, but really it’s nothing like that at all. He’s using death as symbolism for becoming mainstream or “selling out”

Looking in the mirror I’m embarrassed
    I’m feeling like a suicidal terrorist
    React like an infant whenever you are mentioned

Kendrick feels like a hypocrite for how he used to act like a child when mainstream artists such as Drake were mentioned. Either disrespecting or discrediting them due to jealousy

Now he feels like a suicidal terrorist because he’s killing the person he used to be for hopes of a better life. (Similar to the afterlife that terrorists are often promised for the sacrifice)

He is embarrassed because when he looks in the mirror he realizes he is becoming a mainstream rapper and is on the verge of blowing up

Mind over matter never worked for my nemesis

mind over matter is a term used to describe the belief that the mind is more powerful than the body. a nemesis is defined as a persons weakness or the thing that will ruin them. so he’s saying the fundamentals of mind over matter never worked when it comes to his nemesis (which is the fame, money, and vanity talked about through the song)

I’m in the matter of man arm wrestling hands
    I was dope when I said the music business was all I needed
    A record deal and fame was all he ever wanted. But when he finally signed his contract the A&R’s/the music business' hand shake felt strong and painful like a match of arm wrestling
    When I got it I was greeted by an alien
    When he finally got his sound right, he met Fame. On this track, Kendrick (like several rappers in the past) personifies Fame and gives her a somewhat poisonous personality. The term Alien is Kendrick Lamar’s way of describing a beautiful woman. He shares this with us in his track “Alien Girl” off of the O.verly D.edicated EP

That said last year that she slept with a Canadian
    That gave him an addiction
    That would keep him in Mercedes Benz
    Bright lights and Rhianna as a lady friend
    Kendrick goes on to explain how Fame was essentially bragging about how she made “The Canadian” (Drake) addicted to vanity and led to him living a flashy lifestyle, driving nice cars, going to nice places and being friends with stars like Rihanna
    My vice is similar
    Kendrick feels as though he is also getting drawn into the vanity slave lifestyle, especially when it comes to women
    women love when your my type
    It seems that since meeting Fame, Kendrick has also gotten acquainted with some of her friends (groupies)
    And you winning from everything that your palm write
    They especially love it when you got the fame and the money from the songs that you write. For a true artiste like Kendrick, it is impossible to avoid groupie attention
    Put her in the Palms Hotel, sin city
    Devil in a dress, Platinum Chanel
    Live the ambiance all cause the audience
    One day said I would do it
    Kendrick explains how easy it is to get caught up in your own hype from the energy of some of the fans

Drake also references this phenomenon in Fear

“But it’s funny having fans
    Who find you before anybody ever has the chance
    And build you up so you could be the biggest in the game
    And realize when you’re there, sometimes the ? don’t feel the same”

So instead of a verse being read
    Ima go ‘n get some head off the strength of my music
    Instead of reading a verse from the Bible, he goes to get head from a woman that is probably only interested because of the fame his music brought him
    I tell a bad ? your ass too fat
    Capitalize That, and you weave look good
    With the Indian tracks
    Kendrick realizes that in order to be successful in the industry (or capitalize), he needs to degrade women in a way while still trying to sugarcoat it so that they will still buy his music
    Tracking device on your used 5 series
    I don’t call back just blame it on your Canadian
    The same day we say we in the area cruisin’ in Toronto
    Hit me on the cellular, thought he was gonna sell me a false word
    Like the rappers I know
    Sat down with a few drinks, located where you can’t see us
    A white waitress on standby when we need her
    Speaking about meeting Drake when he was on tour in Toronto. He thought Drake would just say they’ll work together but not follow through with it, but Kendrick Lamar was proven wrong and got put on the album
    He explains exactly this situation on a recent interview with MTV

A black Maybach 40 pulled up G
    No doors all that ? was missing was Aaliyah
    Felt like the initiation
    A reality living in the matrix
    In the movie The Matrix, Neo is initiated into the real world by choosing the red pill. Kendrick sees Drake and learns about living with fame from the encounter
    He felt like Drake was bringing him into the game. Into the higher part of the game and bringing him out of the underground. Now, his dreams are coming true so he is no longer living reality, he is in the matrix of life

We talk casually about the industry
    And how the women be the taste makers for the ? we makin’
    Then he said that he was the same age as myself
    And it didn’t help cuz it made me even more rude and impatient
    Kendrick and Drake almost share the same age (June 17, 1987 and October 24, 1986).
    When Kendrick sees everything that comes with the fame he wants to become famous, too. ASAP!
    He gets impatient when Drake tells him that his time is yet to come and that he probably should focus more on a healthy growth as an artist than to rush to his 15 minutes of fam

So blame it on Mr OVOXO, the reason why I’m breathing on the vanity I know
    The reason why my best friend said she love me more than life
    But I live a double life and need to let her go
    Kendrick is suggesting that his best friend, most likely a personification of truth, or being true to his art, loves him — but he is flirting with fame and is going to have to let truth go to become famous
    The reason why the highlight was when he said
    You alone to the people when you outside
    So dig a shovel full of money, full of power, full of ? , full of fame
    And bury yourself alive, then I died"
    A powerful metaphor for the trappings of fame — you may be surrounded by wonderful things, but you are in essence buried underground — kept away from other people and meaningful interactions the same lifestyle that provides you with said things

With this metaphor of digging his own grave he closes the circle to the very first metaphor in the song, the pine box coffin

Dawg you really went to rap genius and posted they explanations ?