Which record label had the better run, Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money or Roc-A-Fella??

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    Jamaica wrote: »
    how is bad boy defunct?

anyway in their prime deathrow was the most dominate between 92-96. Bad Boy has longevity, and No Limit was hot for like a year and half in the late 90's. No Limit didn't blow up on a nationwide scale until late 97 and they ran until 99. Cash Money is doing alright with Wayne.

you a real live down south hater
    cash money is doing "alright with wayne"?
    ? 400 degreez went 4 times platinum in 1998
    drake went platinum in 2011
    how the ? is they just doing "alright with wayne"?
    you act like they barely keeping their heads above water
    cash money in 2012>>>>>>>>>>>>>bad boy in 2012
    ? longevity do they have?
    what was the last bad boy album to go gold?
    shut ya ? up, "Jamacia"

All cash money have is lil Wayne. Drake is not signed to cash money he's on young money.
  • slickrik23
    slickrik23 Members Posts: 4
    Death Row easily........I believe their first 8 albums were platinum. Nobody else has or will ever do that.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    drake ain't signed to cash money, he's on young money....
    YOUNG MONEY IS CASH MONEY
    they aren't separate entities, ?
    slim and baby still eatin off them ?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    slickrik23 wrote: »
    Death Row easily........I believe their first 8 albums were platinum. Nobody else has or will ever do that.

Pretty sure most of the Roc's albums are platinum, except maybe one or two of bleek's
  • slickrik23
    slickrik23 Members Posts: 4
    Roc has a shitload of albums and may have equal or more # of total platinum but check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Row_Records

literally, first 8 albums were platinum.....half are 4 or 5 times platinum. can you imagine launching a label and thats how you start out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocafella_records

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Deathrow was the most dominate during its hey day, But sadly Badboy is still here so it is a toss up with YMCMB runnig a third given they are over a decade...

how is it a toss up, ? ?
    bad boy is still here only because puff is still here puttin his face in ? 's videos and ?
    ymcmb is selling records
    they droppin hits
    plus it ain't over a decade, it's over 20 years
    Cash Money Records been around since the early 90s
    they are clearly head and shoulders above the rest of these labels

over a decade = to 20+ years... anything past 10years as a matter of fact is = to Over a Decade...

YMCMB has not sold as much as even Badboy at this point nor have they had the impact of either label which is why I gave them a 3rd rating as they have longetivty plus relevance which badboy and Deathrow do not have but even with that they have not surpasssed either label in any other way...
    how is bad boy defunct?

anyway in their prime deathrow was the most dominate between 92-96. Bad Boy has longevity, and No Limit was hot for like a year and half in the late 90's. No Limit didn't blow up on a nationwide scale until late 97 and they ran until 99. Cash Money is doing alright with Wayne.

you a real live down south hater
    cash money is doing "alright with wayne"?
    ? 400 degreez went 4 times platinum in 1998
    drake went platinum in 2011
    how the ? is they just doing "alright with wayne"?
    you act like they barely keeping their heads above water
    cash money in 2012>>>>>>>>>>>>>bad boy in 2012
    ? longevity do they have?
    what was the last bad boy album to go gold?
    shut ya ? up, "Jamacia"

All cash money have is lil Wayne. Drake is not signed to cash money he's on young money.

It is a pyramid system with record labels even though Young money is the label Drake is signed to it is under the cashmoney imprint which means Baby and Slim get theirt cut before Wayne who gets his cut before Drake or Nicki or whatever YM artist...
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bilfiger I'm from Mississippi and in high school I was probably the biggest No limit soldier there was, but ain't no damn way I can put No Limit over Death Row. NL had some classics, Ice Cream Man, Tru 2 da game, Ghetto D, Lufe or Death, World War III etc, but The Chronic, ? , & All Eyez on Me r GOAT albums.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Limit had the biggest impact.... made the south mainstream.... sold many plat and gold albums...
  • moyo
    @Aneed NL did do that my boy, it's. Damn shame tha P doesn't get the props that he deserves for that. P is probably the best CEO during that era. The only ? up decision he made was lettin go of Beats by the pound. SMH
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Its definitely Bad Boy or Cash Money.

Bad Boy had so many successful artists dropping strings of successful albums.

But Cash Money is still doing big a decade later... and IS the biggest thing in rap right now.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    deathrow from 93 - 96
    bad boy 93 - 97....bad boy still exist but the last gold or plat album was puff, bad boys 2 soundtrack, or faith evans....(mgk might break that) we all know french and los and red cafe aint selling ? ....
    no limit from 96 (the south) - 2001 (504 boyz & master p's only ? can judge me both went plat or gold in the early 2000's i believe)
    cash money 98 - now (young money might as well be cash money)
  • moyo
    I don't give a damn what nobody says Cash money during the 90's goes way harder than The ymcmb cash money.
  • southernmade
    southernmade Members Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    moyo wrote: »
    @Bilfiger I'm from Mississippi and in high school I was probably the biggest No limit soldier there was, but ain't no damn way I can put No Limit over Death Row. NL had some classics, Ice Cream Man, Tru 2 da game, Ghetto D, Lufe or Death, World War III etc, but The Chronic, ? , & All Eyez on Me r GOAT albums.

No limits impact was monumental on the westside of da Chi Master P and silkk da shocka ran summer 98 wit classick albumsDeath row had a spark when they started then they was garbage 2 hot albums(Dogg food and the chronic) the rest of their music was trash

lol I went to that No Limit tour when they came through dallas that summer......that was the weekend before freshman year in highschool....damn, memories lol

• moyo
    Yeah No limit had the game on smash in the summer of '98. Da last don, Soulja Slim, Fiend, even Kane & Abel's last album went hard. Those were the good ol days.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Boy- '97 alone was a monster year, put the R&B game on smash in '98, had a lukewarm '99, returned to the streets w/ platinum albums from Black Rob and Shyne in '00, Diddy mounted a semi-comeback in '01 with Saga Continues, had that remix album in '02, produced a couple acts via reality shows in '03-'06, platinum album from Joc in '06 and gold from Diddy himself.

CMR- still doing it big even after two of their biggest acts and in house producers left (Fresh and Jazze)

No Limit- did the most w/ the least. Essentially an independent label operating like a major in which almost every artist signed had an album on shelves from '96-'00. Not only were they gettin' releases, but were also selling records.

Death Row- '92-'96

Aftermath- from Shady's debut, Dre's 2001, Eminem mania in '00 and '02, G-Unit mania from '03-'06, to Eminem's resurgence

• SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cash Money.

Baby and Slim are still landing after 20 + years.
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death row If they never fell off no limit wouldn't of been blown up like they did wich wich means cash money probably wouldn't of been as marketable, bad boy did there thing and lasted though
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this ? said g-unit
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    they had a helluva 3 year run but don't compare them ? to no limit, bad boy, death row, or cash money
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    If you're comparing their peaks, this isnt even debatable. It's Death Row and anyone who says otherwise is mentally ? or a diabolical hater like Bilfiger. Each of their first 8 albums went multi-platinum. 10 albums cracked the top 3 on the charts. 7 of them went #1.

When 'The Chronic' dropped, It was the biggest album in rap by a mile.

When '? ' dropped, It was the biggest album in rap by a mile.

When 'All Eyez on Me' dropped, it was the biggest album in rap by a mile.

Nobody was moving these numbers while still making classics. My only beef with them is the gap between albums and two years between Snoop and the DPG where they only dropped soundtracks.

No Limit was the closest, but the only artists who went multiplatinum on that level was P himself and a former 'Death Row' artist. And neither came close to what DR did at their peak. That being said, they were LITERALLY coming out with an album every other week and even the worst selling albums were going gold. ? came out with 23 albums in one year. P was was grindin hard.

It was similar with Cash Money, but they came out with less albums. '400 Degreez' was the only serious seller. No other album came close to double plat during that stretch.

Roc-A-Fella has always been about one guy. And for those who try to bring up Kanye, by the time CD came out, Jay was already retired.

With Bad Boy, it was all about one rapper with a bunch of R&B acts. By the time Puffy, Mase and the Lox got theirs, Biggie was long gone.
  • moyo
    @ Pancho dammit my good man, u broke that down to the last compound. Lol But on the real u were right about all Dat ? u said, Death row s
  • moyo
    Death row sold hella copies, but they didn't release a whole shitload of material. Snoop released 2 albums in 5 years on Death row, then he went to No Limit & released 3 albums in 2 years!!! Lol P was puttin them ? out like hot cakes!!!
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    aneed123 wrote: »
    No Limit had the biggest impact.... made the south mainstream

ppl always forget this , these youngins look at lil john / ti as the moment the south became mainstream but it started with no limit

• GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited March 2012
    deathrow as far as recordz sold & impact...but as far as longevity itz a toss up between bad boy & ca$h money..
    this ? said g-unit
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

they had a helluva 3 year run but don't compare them ? to no limit, bad boy, death row, or cash money

da ? is sad & hez a mod 2 but he dont live n emerica so i can kinda c y he would say sumthang so foolish
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Cash money has had two runs. One in the late 90's and now in the late 2000's and early 2010's. no other label has had TWO runs in TWO different eras. whether you like the music or not you cant dispute this.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Cash Money...they're still around, still relevant, and still releasing albums...The Roc had alot of hype and attention, but the only major seller all that time before Cam'Ron was Jay...until Cam's Come Home WIth Me no other ROC album had gone plat...Death Row had a run, but Suge Knight ? that all up...Bad Boy, somehow, someway Puffy keeps himself relevant...but only himself never any artists for the long term (though very genres have artists lasting 3,4,5 albums anyway)...so I'll give to to CMR for not only still being around, but still being relevant