Which record label had the better run, Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money or Roc-A-Fella??

Comments

• GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited March 2012
    moyo wrote: »
    Yes indeed they were. No limit and Cash Money got the whole nation lookin down south and tryin to steal our swagger and our sound. Them boys made history, but Death Row came out doin major #'s too. When Deathbrow did it back in the early 90's we hadn't never seen no ish like that before.

nah...n 96 when TUPAC was on deathrow deathrow really start;d doin ? hiphop had neva seen b4 like sellin 5mill n 2monthz that ? made suge put snoop on da back burner & of course ? dre got scared & ran when pac shook his ? azz outta da closet & made MAKAVELI da head general as far as artist goes ova therr on deathrow deathrow n 96 was puttin record labelz like bad boy & laface & etc all da blk rap record labelz 2 shame...

http://youtu.be/zNO1qjo5Ppw
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    GeE-757 wrote: »
    Yes indeed they were. No limit and Cash Money got the whole nation lookin down south and tryin to steal our swagger and our sound. Them boys made history, but Death Row came out doin major #'s too. When Deathbrow did it back in the early 90's we hadn't never seen no ish like that before.

nah...n 96 when TUPAC was on deathrow deathrow really start;d doin ? hiphop had neva seen b4 like sellin 5mill n 2monthz that ? made suge put snoop on da back burner & of course ? dre got scared & ran when pac shook his ? azz outta da closet & made MAKAVELI da head general as far as artist goes ova therr on deathrow deathrow n 96 was puttin record labelz like bad boy & laface & etc all da blk rap record labelz 2 shame...
    Spell check!

Anyhow, that's not true. Snoop was bigger than Pac. It was a double album, so it was certified 5x Platinum with 2.5 million albums SHIPPED (not sold) after 2 and a half months of release.

To this day '? ' has sold more than AEOM.

Snoop Dogg - ? : 6,137,000 as of Feb 17, 2008
    2Pac - All Eyez On Me: 5,483,000 as of Feb 8, 2009

• GeE-757
    Spell check!

Anyhow, that's not true. Snoop was bigger than Pac. It was a double album, so it was certified 5x Platinum with 2.5 million albums SHIPPED (not sold) after 2 and a half months of release.

? proper grammar on a hIPHOP 4UM & gthoh wit them made up numberz wat i said is from da HORSEZ MOUF..

http://youtu.be/Qh1yXnXe8_8
  • c.b.b.
    c.b.b. Members Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭

Spell check!

I thought AEOM went diamond. Maybe that was 2Pac's greatest hits
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    c.b.b. wrote: »

Spell check!

I remember seeing someone post that AEOM was certified 9x plat in 98-99. So i'm sure it's diamond now.

And yes, 2Pac's Greatest Hits is diamond.
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    when 2pac says they outsold laface it reminds me how huge death row was , every black women in america probaly owned at least one cd from laface lol .
  • emanuel08
    u forgot g-unit\shady\aftermath too. & ruff ryders to a certain extent. rapalot held down 4 a while. suave house records put out some great albums a sold a lil sumthin..

whatever happened to suavehouse

• moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Emmanuel Ball & MJG and Tela left and it's been a wrap ever since.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited March 2012
    ? proper grammar on a hIPHOP 4UM & gthoh wit them made up numberz wat i said is from da HORSEZ MOUF..
    Pac was just talking ? . Based on platinum certification, he was telling the truth. Based on actual sales, he wasnt even close. By the end of the year, AEOM sales were somewhere in the range of 3 mil.

c.b.b. wrote: »
    AEOM along with the Makaveli album, 'The Chronic', and '? ' were all re-released as enhanced CDs on Koch records. Those sales dont go to the original album releases. Unlesse you go to a used CD store, you're not gonna find the original copy of any of those albums from Death Row.

So either the original version of AEOM didnt ship 5 mil or the label didnt pay to have it certified. (Every album certification costs money.)

All I know is AEOM has sold alot more than his Greatest Hits album.
  • GeE-757
    Pac was just talking ? . Based on platinum certification, he was telling the truth. Based on actual sales, he wasnt even close. By the end of the year, AEOM sales were somewhere in the range of 3 mil.

LOL im sorry but PACZ WORDZ/NUMBERZ>>>YA WORDZ/NUMBERZ
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    im going to have to say deathrow have the better run during the time period from 93-04. but as far as longetivity and sales to date, bad boy takes it
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    emanuel08 wrote: »
    u forgot g-unit\shady\aftermath too. & ruff ryders to a certain extent. rapalot held down 4 a while. suave house records put out some great albums a sold a lil sumthin..

whatever happened to suavehouse
    I used to bump dat Crime Boss
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aneed Crime Boss was str8, but he ain't have ? on Ball & MJG or Tela. They were the hit makers @ SuaveHouse.
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which record label had the better run, Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit, Cash Money or Roc-A-Fella??

Longevity-Cash Money
    Drug Money to Empire-DeathRow
    Label to ? you most in the ? with no money-Bad Boy
    Respected the hustle 94 when ? was really sellin big weight till 2000 when you brought out that fake ass Pac soundalike(Krazy)-No LImit
    1 artists responsible for whole label with no help award-Roc A Fella
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deathrow from 93 - 96
    bad boy 93 - 97....bad boy still exist but the last gold or plat album was puff, bad boys 2 soundtrack, or faith evans....(mgk might break that) we all know french and los and red cafe aint selling ? ....
    no limit from 96 (the south) - 2001 (504 boyz & master p's only ? can judge me both went plat or gold in the early 2000's i believe)
    cash money 98 - now (young money might as well be cash money)

I respectable bad boys r&b artists biggie was alright when ready to die came out ? outside on ny was really feeling that album big poppa was alright but the beats suck ? on that album.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited March 2012

My WORDZ/NUMBERZ are facts, you illiterate idiot.

Either Pac didnt know how platinum certification worked with double albums or he was just talking ? . 5x platinum for a double album just means 2.5 million albums have been shipped into stores. Those are facts.

Quit being a 2Pac soldier.
  • emanuel08
    classic suave house no limit joint
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAKKOVPHWMI

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

My WORDZ/NUMBERZ are facts, you illiterate idiot.

Either Pac didnt know how platinum certification worked with double albums or he was just talking ? . 5x platinum for a double album just means 2.5 million albums have been shipped into stores. Those are facts.

Quit being a 2Pac soldier.

for the record and from the riaa website here are the certifications...
    2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

December 09, 1996

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

7.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

September 19, 1996

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

6.00x MULTI PLATINUM

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

June 18, 1998

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

9.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

June 16, 1998

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

8.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited March 2012
    Just remember, the record label has to pay for the albums to be recognized on RIAA, so alot of those certifications are not updated. For instance, AEOM has sold more than his Greatest Hits album, yet the later is certified diamond.

2Pac - Greatest Hits: 4,848,000 as Sep 2011

Either the label didnt pay for it or it didnt reach the mark until the re-issue under Koch was released.
  • Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    Between Death Row & Bad Boy. Outside of each other, their peaks are unrivaled.

Cash Money for longevity.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Deathrow had 2pac and he's the 2nd best selling rapper ever.I gotta say Pac cuz of the volume they sold, but Cash Money has had the best run overall cuz their still hear and are a force
    follow me @loch121
  • GeE-757
    for the record and from the riaa website here are the certifications...
    2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

December 09, 1996

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

7.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

September 19, 1996

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

6.00x MULTI PLATINUM

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

June 18, 1998

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

9.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO

2 PAC

ALL EYEZ ON ME

February 13, 1996

June 16, 1998

DEATH ROW/INTERSCOPE

Standard

8.00x MULTI PLATINUM

ALBUM

SOLO

thanx fam i tried 2 tell da idiot his numberz was off but he want;d 2 play miss know it all llol
  • PanchoYoSancho
    thanx fam i tried 2 tell da idiot his numberz was off but he want;d 2 play miss know it all llol
    My last replay, but how dumb are you? You clearly dont know how platinum certifications work for double albums. If you knew, you wouldnt be talking outta your ass.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    To put it in perspective...

Cash Money has had 7 Platinum-selling artists (Juvi, Nicki, Drake, B.G., Big Tymers, Wayne, Hot Boys) and 2 dominating runs: 1998-2002 (4), 2006-current (6+)

Bad Boy = Biggie, Mase, Faith, Diddy, Total, 112, Dream, Black Rob, Cassie, Danity Kane, LOX
    Run: 1994 to eh... I'll be nice and say 2001ish (7)

Death Row = Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Tupac, Tupac
    1992-1996 (4)

Roc-A-Fella = Jay, Kanye, Beanie, Cam'ron, Diplomats, DJ Clue, Juelz
    1997-2004 (7) ... I'd say that's around when they stopped being a hot label and just became Jay & Kanye

Ruff Ryders = DMX, Jadakiss, Styles, Eve, LOX
    1998-2004 (6)

G-Unit = 50, Banks, Buck, Game
    2002-2006 (4)

No Limit = Master P, Snoop Dogg, Silkk, Mystikal, TRU, C-Murder
    1997-2000 (3)

Murder INC = Ja Rule, Ashanti, The Murderers, Lloyd
    1999-2004 (5)

1st and foremost, the argument is between Death Row and Bad Boy, they got the most sales, most impact and most Classics. Cash Money did not have 2 "DOMINATING" runs. The 1st run was not Dominate, No Limit was way bigger, sold way more, Outside of Juvi, none of them dudes was going multi-platinum, they sold some albums but they did not Dominate, Ruff Ryders was Bigger than Cash Money, DMX alone outsold their whole roster. Again I'm not saying it wasn't a run, it was but it wasn't DOMINATE, when you Dominate, you shut almost everyone down, Cash Money wasn't shutting everyone down. Now I'd admit, from about 08-present, Cash Money/Young Money has had a dominating run but LOL @ you saying their run started in 06, Wayne was barely selling back then, Juvi and Mannie fresh was long gone, in 06 G-unit was Bigger than Cash Money. They didn't really take over until Carter III.

Like I said, It's between Bad Boy and Death Row. I'd give the slight edge to Death Row, Like someone said, their 1st 8 releases when Multi-Platinum. Bad Boy had the single greatest year in Hip Hop History, Nobody label will ever sell that many units in a year again. But Bad Boy was the only label to successfully bridge HIP HOP and RnB. Gunit had a good run but they burnt out to fast once 50's popularity went down. The Roc was always Jay period, sure Ye came through and cause some damage but The Roc's run to me they never really dominated the game, they were sharing the spotlight. Bleek and Beans were never really superstars so Jay took the whole weight of the label, I'd say maybe late 90's early 2000' the Roc had a great run. The only labels that I can honestly say DOMINATED were Death Row, Bad Boy, No Limit and Ruff Ryders. G-Unit for that 1st 2 years dominated. Cash Money/Young Money has dominated the last 4 years for sure. Aftermath had Eminem which he dominated but the label never felt like they dominated rap maybe that 1st couple years in 99 and 2000 when Em dropped his 1st 2 albums and Dre had 2001.

Bad Boy of course isn't what they use to be but Puffy does have one thing over all the labels. He's still the dominating business man of Hip Hop, #1 on Forbes some 25 years after he got his start. He outlasted his #1 rival Suge Knight. There for by default, Bad Boy could be #1 all time for Puffy being a survivor but like I said, how can anyone not see how Big Death Row Was, that's insane having 8 straight LP's go multi-platinum. On Bad Boy their 1st 8 albums, 5 were Multi-platinum, 2 were Platinum and 1 Gold. Pac and Big are the GOAT Rappers which is why Death Row and Bad Boy had the GOAT Runs in Hip Hop History. Overall DEF JAM is the GOAT Rap label though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Boy_Records

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Row_Records

biggiea1.jpg
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    1998: 400 Degreez - Juvenile (4x Platinum)
    1999: Chopper City in the Ghetto - B.G. (Platinum)
    1999: Guerrilla Warfare - Hot Boys (Platinum)
    1999: Tha G-Code - Juvenile (Platinum)
    1999: Tha Block is Hot - Lil Wayne (Platinum)
    2000: I Got That Work - Big Tymers (Platinum)
    2000: Checkmate - B.G. (Gold)
    2000: Lights Out - Lil Wayne (Gold)
    2000: Baller Blockin' (soundtrack) - Cash Money Millionaires (Gold)
    2001: Project English - Juvenile (Gold)
    2002: Birdman - Birdman (Gold)
    2002: Hood Rich - Big Tymers (Platinum)
    2002: 500 Degreez - Lil Wayne (Gold)
    2003: Big Money Heavyweight - Big Tymers (Gold)
    2003: Juve the Great - Juvenile (Platinum)
    2004: Tha Carter - Lil Wayne (Gold)
    2005: Tha Carter II - Lil Wayne (Platinum)
    2006: Like Father, Like Son - Birdman & Lil Wayne (Gold)
    2008: Tha Carter III - Lil Wayne (3x Platinum)
    2009: So Far Gone - Drake (Gold)
    2009: We Are Young Money - Young Money (Gold)
    2010: Rebirth - Lil Wayne (Gold)
    2010: Thank Me Later - Drake (Platinum)
    2010: Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj (Platinum)
    2011: Tha Carter IV - Lil Wayne (2xPlatinum)
    2011: Take Care - Drake (Platinum)

ruff ryders ain't ? with this

24 Million Sold U.S. (Only 3 multi-platinum albums)

DMX BY HIMSELF: 14x PLATINUM (3 multi-platinum albums)

1998: It's dark and hell is hot - 4x PLATINUM
    1998: Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of my Blood - 3x PLATINUM
    1999: And Then There Was X - 5x Platinum
    2001: The Great Depression - Platinum
    2003: Grand Champ - Platinum

LOL @ DMX selling a majority of what Cash Money sold they whole history in a span of 5 years and had just as many multi-platinum albums yet Ruff Ryders ain't seeing Cash Money?, OK, try again. Outside of Juvi and now recently Wayne, Cash Money never moved major units like that, they came out in the early 90's and didn't go Plat until the late 90's. Labels like Death Row, Bad Boy and Ruff Ryders were going Plat from the start.