Why do you pray?

VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The millions (AND MILLIONS!) of ? 's fans pray and pray and pray and pray. Many of them pray for "more" of something, whether it's spiritual or worldly. Many people pray for that job or that car, for that person to be healed or even killed. Many pray that people will "come to ? " and "accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savoir".

My question is, why? Why do you pray for ANYTHING? It makes NO sense. If ? knows all and has set all and is also "never changing", then prayer is for what exactly?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Prayer is to gather understanding.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    A question for the ages. I notice my luck has been bad when I pray. I've noticed the less I pray the better my luck is with life. The most religious people I know always go through some ? , but some do have happy lives. In general, you have just as much luck praying to ? as you would praying to a ? stain on your bed after sex or jerking off.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2012
    I enjoy asking myself for things.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    This guy ^^ lol

And who made u ? Choze?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Well...if indeed the notion of ? is being this infinite bundle presets and constants, then prayer doesn't make sense. But, I doubt it is the case.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited January 2012
    This guy ^^ lol

And who made u ? Choze?
    Gods aren't made we are born.
  • KingKemet
    KingKemet Members Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    If you're not meditating you're not "praying" correctly. Getting on your knees and closing your eyes aint about to make ? happen. I know somebody in here knows what I mean.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had powerful experiences before but it takes a long time.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GSonII could you elaborate???
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alissowack wrote: »
    Well...if indeed the notion of ? is being this infinite bundle presets and constants, then prayer doesn't make sense. But, I doubt it is the case.

So what is it?

What is prayer for? Understanding? If so, of what?

Why is it we have prayer for people, countries, bribes, material things? Things in which seem to be answered according to who prays?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    KLICHE wrote: »
    @GSonII could you elaborate???

Just turn off your entertainment and zone out with your focus on being the best spiritual being you can and you might feel or see something with due time
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    VIBE wrote: »
    alissowack wrote: »

So what is it?

What is prayer for? Understanding? If so, of what?

Why is it we have prayer for people, countries, bribes, material things? Things in which seem to be answered according to who prays?

Yes understanding. There is no-thing else of value. Yes money makes the world go around, but what actually gets you through life is understanding and wisdom. People can pray all ? day for worldly wealth, but if they don't toil their ass at some point, they're beggin or starving.

They haven't been preaching wisdom and understanding for thousands of years for nothing.

Understanding of what? Anything and everything, something and nothing. <--- for real. Just ask, all day everyday, for more and more. Gonna have to put that understanding and wisdom to good use however, have to empty the cup to receive more.