I.C. brehs.... whats the final verdict on Manolo and Fredo

ocelot
ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Manolo Ribera aka Manny
scarface_and_manolo.jpg
Tony Montanas right hand man. Been with him from the beginning. Was the reason Tony and himself got out of the Cuban detenion center , got on the banana boat to sail to America, got them green cards and jobs at the local taco stands. Made sure he got the "Yayo" and the front money with Tony and killed Frank Lopez.
The only problem was that he married Tonys sister Gina after Tony forbid him to. Manolo deliberately disobeyed his friends wishes and did it anyways out of love. Tony reasons was that he didnt want his sister to be in the game.
So Tony returns from a job and goes an address he received from his mother. He knocks on the door and Manny answers, just as Gina appears at the top of the stairs. Enraged, Tony shoots Manny twice and kills him. Gina runs down the stairs and cries over Manny's body before telling Tony that they got married the day before, Tony then quickly regrets killing his friend. After going back to his mansion and somewhat sobering up from a ? high, Tony continues to show regret for killing his friend, but is killed shortly after by The Skull in a massive shootout.

Quotes
Gina Montana: I like Fernando, he's a fun guy and he's nice... and he knows how to treat a woman.
Manny: [laughing] Knows how to treat a woman? By taking you to the toilet to make out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSpGH0UpNL8&feature=related

Frederico "Fredo" Corleone
FredoCorleone.jpg
The second born of Don Vito Corleone aka The Godfather. He is the younger brother of Sonny and elder brother of Michael and Connie. The weakest and least intelligent Corleone. He even dropped his gun when his pops got popped in the middle of the street in broad day light. Was sent to Vegas to work for Moe Greene and when he caught wind that his kid brother is the new Don, he started to hate. Fredo later betrays Mike and started to work with Johnny Ola and Hyman Roth in a secret deal but swears that he didnt know it was going to be a hit. Michael later finds out that Fredo was in on it and give him a chance to come home. Later, after being in court for organize crimes, Fredo tells Michael that the subcommittee's lawyer is on Roth's payroll, thus revealing that he knew all along that Pentangeli's testimony could potentially send Michael to prison. He also reveals his bitterness at having been passed over when Michael was chosen as their father's successor. Mike disowns Fredo and orders that Fredo gets killed after his mother dies. Connie Corleone beggs Mike to forgive Fredo and Mike agrees to but in the end, Fredo is killed praying the Hail Mary.

Quotes
"Taken care of me?! You're my kid brother! You take care of me? Did you ever think about that? Did you ever once think about that? 'Send Fredo off to do this, send Fredo off to do that! Let Fredo take care of some Mickey Mouse nightclub somewhere! Send Fredo to pick somebody up at the airport!' I'm your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over! [Michael: that's the way Pop wanted it] It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things, I'm smart! Not like everybody says. Like dumb. I'm smart and I want respect!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFlp6kl508
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZ5GpcG4sc

So brehs... Did Manolo and Fredo deserve to die? What would you do if you were Tony or Mike?

Comments

• truth_juice
    truth_juice Members Posts: 270 ✭✭
    edited March 2012
    I kinda understand Tony's POV. Hes known this cat forever and knows is MO when dealing with women so maybe he felt like he was just trying to use his sis as a jumpoff. Maybe he shoulda reconsidered after dude wifed her but hey, Tony was on some ? type ? anyway if you remember correctly. It was explored more in the book I believe.
  • Dat1Dude7
    Dat1Dude7 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Fredo needed to go but Manolo, I coulda let it slide.
    Yeah, u went behind my back BUT you did marry my sister. Aint like he jus slipped off to the LaQuinta and had a bang session. He married her.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Al pacino taking mofos out , but fredo obviously had to his stupidity almost got them killed. Manolo that's a different story I can see why tony killed him he probably just though he was smashing his sister and just reacted, I dont think he should of killed him just kicked his ass
  • ocelot
    I dont know... I feel that Mike shouldve never made Fredo the underboss when he had Mo Greenes back in the first movie... Fredo shouldve been the gardener or something...
    In Tonys POV i would not want my sister apart of that life... Gina wasnt built for it. Also, You dont marry someone without the family members blessings... In his POV you might as well have treated her like a JO because you dont even respect the family...
    but I dont think I would have had the heart to ? Fredo after Connie begs me not too... Its like what Chris Rock said... Its like calling double dribble on a ? kid... some ? you gotta let slide....
    Manalo on the other hand would be more difficult because of the lack of respect...
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    seein Manny die is still is hard to watch after all these years....

i was happy to see dude in Breaking Bad tho
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fredo had to go, Manny not so much. That said, Manny brought it on himself. Even if he did marry her, Manny betrayed Tony by sneaking around with his sister.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo, classic thread in the making right here

Manolo was dumb as ? so he deserved to die. ? you knew when Tony snapped at you in the car you shouldn't have been tapping that ass. Especially after you showed Tony how american girls like to get their ? ate out...but this ? marries her. But here's the stupidest ? ever, this ? does this without Tony's permission or making him aware. Get him outta here!

Fredo should have got popped early on. Its funny how the strong ones died early and Fredo's ass still made. GOAT scene when they watching that strip show or some ? and Michael hears the truth from Fredo himself. I felt his pain. Betrayed by your own blood. Didn't he had to school Fredo earlier when they had that meeting? Told that ? to take never take sides against the family? If he wasn't blood, Michael would have popped him.

So yes, both of those maphukas deserved to die. Fredo more so. Fredo was asking for it. Manolo was just stupid for not telling/asking Tony. That cheesy way of telling Tony that he was changing his life around was not the same conversation as I'm marrying your sister
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Fredo had to go. Dude even bragged that he's associating with Roth's crew when they were in Cuba. Mike tried to give him a pass, but Fredo kept on hating, which ultimately ruined Mike's marriage also.
  • ocelot
    Damn it was Fredos fault for Mike losing his family and his unborn son... If the hit had never taken place then none of that stuff would have happend... Fredo single handedly brought done the family because of his jealous ways... A smarter person wouldn't have had a chance
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    At first , I would say Tony shouldnt have killed Manolo. But after a 2nd look, Tony killing Manolo was really poetic justice. Cuz most people only remember Manolo ? Tony's sister, but really Manolo was da reason Tony got killed. If it wasnt for Manolo, Tony wouldve never got knocked wit dat whole money laundry situation,which means he wouldve never needed dat favor from Sosa in da first place. So no I dont think Tony should have killed Manolo, but Manolo deserved to die.

Its tough for me to say Fredo shouldve been killed cuz dats blood, but at da same time da ? dat he did was intentional. His jealousy and envy almost got Micheal killed and ultimately was da demise of the family empire. So with dat being said, I can understand why Mike killed Fredo.

Some rappers take on da Manolo situation. Eretime I see da part with Rae talkin about being high on coke I start ROFL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6i1FsCzh2Y

• ocelot
    At first , I would say Tony shouldnt have killed Manolo. But after a 2nd look, Tony killing Manolo was really poetic justice. Cuz most people only remember Manolo ? Tony's sister, but really Manolo was da reason Tony got killed. If it wasnt for Manolo, Tony wouldve never got knocked wit dat whole money laundry situation,which means he wouldve never needed dat favor from Sosa in da first place. So no I dont think Tony should have killed Manolo, but Manolo deserved to die.

Its tough for me to say Fredo shouldve been killed cuz dats blood, but at da same time da ? dat he did was intentional. His jealousy and envy almost got Micheal killed and ultimately was da demise of the family empire. So with dat being said, I can understand why Mike killed Fredo.

Some rappers take on da Manolo situation. Eretime I see da part with Rae talkin about being high on coke I start ROFL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6i1FsCzh2Y

LOL@Nas being the only one to say that Manolo deserved to die...Nas has no loyalty...
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both were necessary and unnecessary at the same time. Fredo had to go, but that ate away at Mike for the rest of his years and he never fully recovered from that.

Tony snapped and just reacted (dude wasnt the most stable guy to begin with), but had Manolo lived he might have helped Tony when Sosa sent them goons.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »
    Both were necessary and unnecessary at the same time. Fredo had to go, but that ate away at Mike for the rest of his years and he never fully recovered from that.

Tony snapped and just reacted (dude wasnt the most stable guy to begin with), but had Manolo lived he might have helped Tony when Sosa sent them goons.[/quote]

Helped, yes, but its really a non-issue bc Tony was a dead man walking regardless of who he had with him. Manolo would have gotten murked just the same as Tony did.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rage wrote: »

Tony snapped and just reacted (dude wasnt the most stable guy to begin with), but had Manolo lived he might have helped Tony when Sosa sent them goons.

there would ve been 2 dead gualas instead of one....
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manolo disrespected Tony wishes when he married his sister especially when you know how Tony would react. In hindsight Tony should of took the 5 years and call shots from the Pen.

Fredo was always weak and dumb. You can see how easy it was for him to be manipulated by Roth and Ola. Thats why Vito pass him over. Could u imagine Fredo as a Don?