Why Is There No Talent Coming Out of the East Coast?

StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
The amount of decent rappers coming out of NYC and the East Coast can be counted on one hand. It seems like nearly every up coming rapper is from the South, West or Midwest.

If all the labels are in New York why can't a New Yorker come up? Nearly all of the new East Coast rappers that are actually getting recognition (French Montana, ASAP Rocky etc.) are using non-East Coast styles to get on (nothing wrong with that, just pointing it out).

And i'm talking about rappers with a shot of mainstream potential, so no Homeboy Sandmans or Skyzoos or whatever

Comments

• greatgodman
    greatgodman Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    i think the most legitimate rappers with east coast rap flow is fresh daily, mr. mother ? exquire, action bronson, das rascist, and troy ave. these guy represent east coast ( new york) rap to the fullest.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    There isn't much talent coming out of any region really. Even these new school southern rappers like future are gimmick rappers that will never push albums to a consistent basis or have a huge buzz outside their region. Who the ? is coming out the west besides kendrick? Even in the midwest there isn't much talent there. Before you ask where the east coast talent is point out new school rappers from other regions that are actually talented. The east got ? like cole who even though hes from north carolina needed NYC do do what he needed to do. Also you got meek from phili killing the mixtape game and you got wale doing better than many rappers from the deep south.

As Far as a new yorker coming up that is hard because everyone is new york is using most of the same gunplay freestyle smack dvd type rapping and can't craft complete songs. Even a state up in CT everyone is trying to either copy the swag movement or mimmic the 2000's nyc club rap instead of learning to be lyricist that happens to have good songs.
  • StillFaggyAF
    i think the most legitimate rappers with east coast rap flow is fresh daily, mr. mother ? exquire, action bronson, das rascist, and troy ave. these guy represent east coast ( new york) rap to the fullest.

and none of those guys will be more than blog rappers
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? ... ? Skyzoo ? what the ? happened to that ? ? i forgot about him
  • StillFaggyAF
    edited March 2012
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    There isn't much talent coming out of any region really. Even these new school southern rappers like future are gimmick rappers that will never push albums to a consistent basis or have a huge buzz outside their region. Who the ? is coming out the west besides kendrick? Even in the midwest there isn't much talent there. Before you ask where the east coast talent is point out new school rappers from other regions that are actually talented. The east got ? like cole who even though hes from north carolina needed NYC do do what he needed to do. Also you got meek from phili killing the mixtape game and you got wale doing better than many rappers from the deep south.

As Far as a new yorker coming up that is hard because everyone is new york is using most of the same gunplay freestyle smack dvd type rapping and can't craft complete songs. Even a state up in CT everyone is trying to either copy the swag movement or mimmic the 2000's nyc club rap instead of learning to be lyricist that happens to have good songs.

West got Odd Future mov't, Black Hippy mov't, Fashawn, YG, Tyga, Dom Kennedy, Pac Div etc
    South got countless rappers
    Midwest got prolly the most talent with Stalley, Big Sean, Jon Conner, Freddie Gibbs, Lupe Fiasco, Cudi, Chip tha Ripper, MGK, XV etc.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just cant get together for nothin up there... closest now is ASAP and his pack of ? but as far as i kno he's the only one who raps out of all them
  • FyHunnit
    FyHunnit Members, Writer Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meek Milly is making noise tho. He still has that Philly sound that we've heard from Cass and Beans.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14

West got Odd Future mov't, Black Hippy mov't, Fashawn, YG, Tyga, Dom Kennedy, Pac Div etc
    Midwest got prolly the most talent with Stalley, Big Sean, Jon Conner, Freddie Gibbs, Lupe Fiasco, Cudi, Chip tha Ripper, MGK, XV etc.

But the biggest thing about all these rappers is they aint ? outside of their region and some aren't even respected by their region.

West: The only rapper out of the west with an album release was tyga and that flopped...and the rest of those rappers don't have a buzz outside the west. I ? with dom kennedy...most my ? out here in the east couldn't tell you who that is.

South: Be specific name 5 of the biggest names from there

Midwest: Jon Connor is the most slept on rapper in the game right now but again even with his past 2 fire mixtapes he still hasn't come close to being big even in the midwest. And exclude lupe hes not the new school anymore. The rest of them ? against regional popularity go to other regions and they aint ? .

My point being there are allot of regionally big rappers but none of them can get major buzz nation wide. And to get major buzz nationwide many of theses clowns have to have a gimmick like tyga which still didn't get him far as his first album flopped and his second one did lackluster sales wise.

Every region needs more complete rappers that not only have lyrical ability but have a albums that get ? from every corner of the country really big into them. There are no more TI's or Kanyes or Tupac's or Jay-Z's that transcend regional popularity and appreciation anymore. This needs to change.
  • StillFaggyAF

But the biggest thing about all these rappers is they aint ? outside of their region and some aren't even respected by their region.

West: The only rapper out of the west with an album release was tyga and that flopped...and the rest of those rappers don't have a buzz outside the west. I ? with dom kennedy...most my ? out here in the east couldn't tell you who that is.

Midwest: Jon Connor is the most slept on rapper in the game right now but again even with his past 2 fire mixtapes he still hasn't come close to being big even in the midwest. And exclude lupe hes not the new school anymore. The rest of them ? against regional popularity go to other regions and they aint ? .

My point being there are allot of regionally big rappers but none of them can get major buzz nation wide. And to get major buzz nationwide many of theses clowns have to have a gimmick like tyga which still didn't get him far as his first album flopped and his second one did lackluster sales wise.

Every region needs more complete rappers that not only have lyrical ability but have a albums that get ? from every corner of the country really big into them. There are no more TI's or Kanyes or Tupac's or Jay-Z's that transcend regional popularity and appreciation anymore. This needs to change.

Coming back to my first question, the East doesn't even have rappers like the one's i mentioned. the closest is maybe French Montana
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joey Bada$$.......all i gotta say
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just cant get together for nothin up there... closest now is ASAP and his pack of ? but as far as i kno he's the only one who raps out of all them

A$AP Twelvy, A$AP Ferg, A$AP Ant raps and i think A$AP yams raps too.
  • StillFaggyAF
    SlickestR wrote: »

A$AP Twelvy, A$AP Ferg, A$AP Ant raps and i think A$AP yams raps too.

Not yams, nast raps. nast is prolly the only ? one
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14

Coming back to my first question, the East doesn't even have rappers like the one's i mentioned. the closest is maybe French Montana

again meek mill has more buzz that 90% of those rappers you listed same with wale and j cole yes there aren't a laundry list of ? from the east like that but there are guys from the east coast that are coming up.

And part of the whole nyc complex is again its nyc. The other regions have ? spread out across thousands of miles of area so if your a hot rapper in flint like jon connor your gunna stand out and get buzz cause they not use to that type or rap. (Even busta says connor sounds like a nyc rapper. Same thing with a ? who can rap from a city like clevland in MGK they not use to have as many hot rapper per capita so hes gunna stand out get promotion and buzz.

But in nyc the standards are so much higher and there is an overload of rappers from the region which is why guys like nicki and asap rocky are able to be successful from nyc because they are completely different from the boom bap gunplay style.
  • StillFaggyAF

again meek mill has more buzz that 90% of those rappers you listed same with wale and j cole yes there aren't a laundry list of ? from the east like that but there are guys from the east coast that are coming up.

And part of the whole nyc complex is again its nyc. The other regions have ? spread out across thousands of miles of area so if your a hot rapper in flint like jon connor your gunna stand out and get buzz cause they not use to that type or rap. (Even busta says connor sounds like a nyc rapper. Same thing with a ? who can rap from a city like clevland in MGK they not use to have as many hot rapper per capita so hes gunna stand out get promotion and buzz.

But in nyc the standards are so much higher and there is an overload of rappers from the region which is why guys like nicki and asap rocky are able to be successful from nyc because they are completely different from the boom bap gunplay style.

Meek Mill had to side with southern cats like Rick Ross and T.I.
    J Cole is from NC and i don't consider DC East Coast.

i agree that the standard in NYC. I just find it strange/concerning that young guys like me, our generation of fans, most of us grew up on non NY hip hop. Look at the average young'n's ipod and the only east coast rappers will be jay, biggie and nas
  • Sweet Dick Willie
    Sweet Dick Willie Members Posts: 273
    I think with the love Exquire, Action Bronson, Asap Mob and a few others have been getting with the underground we can say the East will be making heavy noise soon as long as people support them
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14

Meek Mill had to side with southern cats like Rick Ross and T.I.
    J Cole is from NC and i don't consider DC East Coast.

i agree that the standard in NYC. I just find it strange/concerning that young guys like me, our generation of fans, most of us grew up on non NY hip hop. Look at the average young'n's ipod and the only east coast rappers will be jay, biggie and nas

but see again notice how those guys had to find a niche in the east coast meek is better than the ace hoods futures and wakas combined because he can murder a southern beat with lyrics and fun.

And cole has a huge fanbase that helped him outsell the biggest punk rock band of the 2000's when they went head to head.

And wale is from the DMV which is east coast influenced more than southernly influenced i have spent summers down there with my aunt and pg county maryland which he shouts out allot has hip hop that is pretty much east coast.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    and east coast is east coast it doesn't matter how meek might "sound" jon connor sounds like a nyc rapper and hes in the midwest thats just how its gunna be in the future the regional sounds are going to dissapear a little which is great for hip hop. Cause rappers in the east going for the the nyc sound ruined new york rap.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because NY rappers get pigeon held in one specific "Sound". And why NY Rappers cant be influenced by southern artist but Southern Artist can be influenced by NY and it's no problem? If i want to have a southern flow or touch a southern beat on a couple tracks dont try to "call me out" when there's southern artist who have been emulating the East for Years.

Would J Cole be as big as he is with a Southern Flow?
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    whats the problem with the good east coast, west coast, midwest and southern rappers staying indie and not getting mainstream attention. they're living well and making money. my ears and speakers are enjoying listening to their music.

if dudes like chip tha ripper, dom kennedy, xv, jon connor, freddie gibbs, black hippies never get any radio play ? the people who are missing out on it.

but to answer the thread, the east coast has talent, its just keeping with the east coast tradition of lyricism which most casual rap fans don't care for anymore. they want a banging beat, sing-songy hook, and easy to digest lyrics. rappers like action bronson won't get recognition on a mainstream level, because mainstream rap has changed from tupac/biggie type rap to wiz khalifa/drake type rap.
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because NY rappers get pigeon held in one specific "Sound". And why NY Rappers cant be influenced by southern artist but Southern Artist can be influenced by NY and it's no problem? If i want to have a southern flow or touch a southern beat on a couple tracks dont try to "call me out" when there's southern artist who have been emulating the East for Years.

ny rappers pigeon holed themselves into that sound tho
    you muhfuckas booed outkast at the source awards but now it's cool to be influenced by southern artists?
    and what the ? kinda flow does j.cole have?
    he most definitely ain't out here soundin like inspectah deck or some ? like that
    ? is a southern flow?
    some gucci mane ? ?
    typical ny muhfucka takin credit for some ? but at the same time lookin for an out when they can't use they own ? to get on
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    There is a signing freeze right now. they have enough songwriters aka people who can actually spit. The only thing they are looking for is cats with "marketability"
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from Wooh Da Kid, Frenchie, ASAP Rocky, Eldorado Red, French Montana, Chinx Drugz, and A-Mafia....you ? is boring
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot Yung Joey
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

and what the ? kinda flow does j.cole have?
    he most definitely ain't out here soundin like inspectah deck or some ? like that
    ? is a southern flow?
    some gucci mane ? ?
    typical ny muhfucka takin credit for some ? but at the same time lookin for an out when they can't use they own ? to get on

"I'm just a down south ? , lil' east coast flow"-J. Cole, Good Game.