Why Is There No Talent Coming Out of the East Coast?

Comments

• BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish there was a button for "this hoe don't know what she talkin bout"

If i didnt know what i was talking about why respond? Just click "Wack" and keep it moving And Smart ppl dont get mad at ppl who dont know what they talking about they laugh and keep it moving...

Like i said u got deep in your feelings now you have to resort to ? this Hoe That... Kinda sad when you think about it lol

don't lie like that ain't my pet name for you, boo boo
    i don't click wack and keep it moving, this is a discussion board
    we havin a discussion
    durrrr
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

If i didnt know what i was talking about why respond? Just click "Wack" and keep it moving And Smart ppl dont get mad at ppl who dont know what they talking about they laugh and keep it moving...

Like i said u got deep in your feelings now you have to resort to ? this Hoe That... Kinda sad when you think about it lol

we havin a discussion
    durrrr

You dont know me well enough to have a "Pet name" for me and if you did it wouldnt be either of them. And since this is a discussion board keep your feelings out of it.
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

so basically what you usin to negate my opinion is another ? opinion
    ok
    anywho

Ain't nobody tryna negate your opinion. You asked a question about J. Cole, and I gave you you an answer with a quote from Cole's own mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHtVw77ZHqw

Side note: this thread reminded me of this freestyle^
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I will say about the east coast roster right now they is no potential "greats" in that list that people can really get behind. They is no Nas type Jay-Z type rapper in that list. No undeniable cats on y'all side for real.
  • Gen. Stasia
    And the reason why i keep saying battered because your showing all the characteristics of such. Why should MY generation pay for what ? did at the Source awards almost 20 years ago? The ppl who was at that award show is probably in their 40's. So what does that have to do with MY generation? New Yorkers nowa days listen to a lil bit of everything from everywhere but we are wrong for that? So if we are closed minded we get bashed and if we are open minded we get bashed? I think this is just pure hate because your holding on to the past...... Like a Battered Woman.
  • BackInWhite

we havin a discussion
    durrrr

You dont know me well enough to have a "Pet name" for me and if you did it wouldnt be either of them. And since this is a discussion board keep your feelings out of it.

don't lie, general
    don't you get on the ic lyin like i ain't get u pregnant and u aborted my unborn fetus
    don't lie like i ain't got numerous pics of your feet, ma'am
    don't you do it
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    Lololololololololololololol..........

imager.php?id=1473374&t=o
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vado is nice, Pap still got it, and of course all the OG's via Ghostface, Nas, Raekwon, Black Thought, Mos Def etc still doing they thing.
  • Miles HIGH
    Vado is nice, Pap still got it, and of course all the OG's via Ghostface, Nas, Raekwon, Black Thought, Mos Def etc still doing they thing.

Now...My ? ...You know...
  • Gen. Stasia
    One thing I will say about the east coast roster right now they is no potential "greats" in that list that people can really get behind. They is no Nas type Jay-Z type rapper in that list. No undeniable cats on y'all side for real.

Is there anywhere tho? The West would say Kendrick Lamar but would u say that his album will be better than AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted? The South would say Big Krit but will his album be better than UGK's Ridin ? or Outkast's Aquemini? And is anybody from the Midwest will have a album better than College Drop out? NY standard is just ridiculous.... And it's never going to be met TBH
  • BackInWhite
    the thing about rap is that it's unpredictable
    just cuz there doesn't seem to be a clear cut jay-z or outkast or kanye doesn't mean there won't be one
    jay-z wasn't always jay-z
    he used to be that ugly ? in jaz-o videos
  • MC The Rapper

Is there anywhere tho? The West would say Kendrick Lamar but would u say that his album will be better than AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted? The South would say Big Krit but will his album be better than UGK's Ridin ? or Outkast's Aquemini? And is anybody from the Midwest will have a album better than College Drop out? NY standard is just ridiculous.... And it's never going to be met TBH

Kendrick can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope
    Krit can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope
    Freddie Gibbs can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope you get what i'm saying. NY ain't really got that right now.
  • Gen. Stasia

Freddie Gibbs can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope you get what i'm saying. NY ain't really got that right now.

Hot? Yes GOAT? Nope. Kendrick, Krit or Gibbs dont have that Charisma that it takes to transcend into a larger arena. Dope MC's? Yup but in the 90's u had to be the COMPLETE Package. Thats why UGK was so Dope to me while Bun B had the Skill ? C had the charisma to attract a larger audience.
  • MC The Rapper

Hot? Yes GOAT? Nope. Kendrick, Krit or Gibbs dont have that Charisma that it takes to transcend into a larger arena. Dope MC's? Yup but in the 90's u had to be the COMPLETE Package. Thats why UGK was so Dope to me while Bun B had the Skill ? C had the charisma to attract a larger audience.

But what i'm saying is yall don't even have anybody on that level on the straight rapping side. No body new in the game has the total package.
  • Gen. Stasia

But what i'm saying is yall don't even have anybody on that level on the straight rapping side. No body new in the game has the total package.

Soon Come.... :)
  • Miles HIGH
    edited March 2012

Naw...As much as I love Krit...He woulda been sorely outshined in the 90's...The reason he's such a "breath of fresh air" now is because he's largely re-creating a sound that was done years ago, but left the forefront...And Ion think Kendrick woulda got no play when the West was really on gangsta rap either...He woulda just been looked at as a Pac/Chino XL wanna be...
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy answer.

Hip hop is controlled by screaming little kids and women who don't really listen to hip hop. The industry is at an all time high now when it comes to being greedy. Talent and what the core audience wants stopped mattering like 13 years ago. They are the ones who

buys like 5 copies of cd's
    call up/vote on all hip hop outlets like crazy
    be up in clubs/functions requesting music to dj's all the time
    Paying crazy amounts of money and showing a shitload of attention to the rappers every move

The things these people are into is what's gonna get play and more attention over everything else. The no direction, trendy, metrosexual, simple flow with banging beats, and no talent type of music is what they're into now. The west coast, mid west and especially the east coast really don't make too much of that music nor do we cosign it.

The south does this a lot and they've been doing it. You notice none of their rappers who don't follow this formula are ignored down there and have bigger fan basses elsewhere. ? down south will prais gucci mane and wacka flocka and call cats like chamillionaire, lil flip, z-ro, big krit, j cole, and a few other real southern rappers wack or lame. They all have bigger fan bases outside of the south. T.i only gets a pass because he made a lot of trickin, sing along, club sounding tracks. Notice none of his real hip hop tracks get any play. This is the nicest I've heard him spit since his 1st album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm-3Mx_P0B4
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    You know what's wrong with the East Coast and why ? can't come up out the East Coast? It's you funky ass fans up East not worried about ? but some stanky ass metaphors and ? . If dudes ain't coming out spitting a bunch of ? that means nothing, but "? that metaphor!", ya'll pass them with the quickness. When is lyricism ever important other than during debates? Are you ? on the East Coast really jumping up and down to punchlines on the train with your headphones on? You watching a twerk team video and pause it cause whoever the East Coast ? 's song is they dancing to just said some lyrically genius ass ? ? Ya'll better learn to enjoy the music the newer artist ya'll do have are putting out
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol KRIT is not even respected in the south ? ? with wack ass one hit wonders over krit....and this skinny jean bay area ? from up north would rather praise white girls saying ? over a dope mc name kendrick lamar
  • MC The Rapper
    Miles HIGH wrote: »

Naw...As much as I love Krit...He woulda been sorely outshined in the 90's...The reason he's such a "breath of fresh air" now is because he's largely re-creating a sound that was done years ago, but left the forefront...And Ion think Kendrick woulda got no play when the West was really on gangsta rap either...He woulda just been looked at as a Pac/Chino XL wanna be...

Kendrick with black hippy would have been a Pharcyde, Soul of Mischief type group and with Krit ability to produce he would have still had an impact in a group situation. A lot of the comtempary artists if placed in the 90s era would have been packaged in groups. They have talent but not the total package to be a solo artist in the 90s.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just wanna say this isn't a hate thread
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats the problem with the good east coast, west coast, midwest and southern rappers staying indie and not getting mainstream attention. they're living well and making money. my ears and speakers are enjoying listening to their music.

if dudes like chip tha ripper, dom kennedy, xv, jon connor, freddie gibbs, black hippies never get any radio play ? the people who are missing out on it.

but to answer the thread, the east coast has talent, its just keeping with the east coast tradition of lyricism which most casual rap fans don't care for anymore. they want a banging beat, sing-songy hook, and easy to digest lyrics. rappers like action bronson won't get recognition on a mainstream level, because mainstream rap has changed from tupac/biggie type rap to wiz khalifa/drake type rap.

boom bap is an outdated style. Its like making a new disco record in the 90s haha. Like you said, 808s beats are club friendly and make hoes dance to it. NY took a back seat when they didn't give the new rappers of the mid 00s a real chance (Saigon, Budden). Tradition is frowned upon in Hip Hop because the artform used to prize itself on new ? , not rehashing old ? . Add the fact that NY used to pride itself for being "hard" today, when we live in an era where being "hard" = broke, swagless, and old. I grew up on boom bap rap, and it took me years to accept it, but like Saigon said on twitter, "its over."

No more exclusive mixtape tracks over Kay Slay or DJ Clue
    No more conforming to the streets
    No more groundbreaking styles

Its hard to accept.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    whats the problem with the good east coast, west coast, midwest and southern rappers staying indie and not getting mainstream attention. they're living well and making money. my ears and speakers are enjoying listening to their music.

if dudes like chip tha ripper, dom kennedy, xv, jon connor, freddie gibbs, black hippies never get any radio play ? the people who are missing out on it.

but to answer the thread, the east coast has talent, its just keeping with the east coast tradition of lyricism which most casual rap fans don't care for anymore. they want a banging beat, sing-songy hook, and easy to digest lyrics. rappers like action bronson won't get recognition on a mainstream level, because mainstream rap has changed from tupac/biggie type rap to wiz khalifa/drake type rap.

boom bap is an outdated style. Its like making a new disco record in the 90s haha. Like you said, 808s beats are club friendly and make hoes dance to it. NY took a back seat when they didn't give the new rappers of the mid 00s a real chance (Saigon, Budden). Tradition is frowned upon in Hip Hop because the artform used to prize itself on new ? , not rehashing old ? . Add the fact that NY used to pride itself for being "hard" today, when we live in an era where being "hard" = broke, swagless, and old. I grew up on boom bap rap, and it took me years to accept it, but like Saigon said on twitter, "its over."

Its hard to accept.

YEP!!!! pretty much adds on to what I said. Hip hop is mainstream and bubble gum now. So are the so called fans of it.The essence of hip hop is gone now. ? was pretty much over after rick ross exposure lol that ? career should have been over right there(remember boss, and the white Jamaican rapper snow?).
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »

Its hard to accept.

YEP!!!! pretty much adds on to what I said. Hip hop is mainstream and bubble gum now. So are the so called fans of it.The essence of hip hop is gone now. ? was pretty much over after rick ross exposure lol that ? career should have been over right there(remember boss, and the white Jamaican rapper snow?).

Times change. Now just that, but the East Coast needs to start new ground again and embrace the young folk in mass. Cause despite Rae, Ghostface Killah, Nas, Jay still making music, you gotta give a talented teen or 20 something a chance to shine.
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicki Minaj was a dope New York emcee until she changed her style and sold her soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LblsEzLeRM&feature=related