Why Is There No Talent Coming Out of the East Coast?

Comments

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    There isn't much talent coming out of any region really. Even these new school southern rappers like future are gimmick rappers that will never push albums to a consistent basis or have a huge buzz outside their region. Who the ? is coming out the west besides kendrick? Even in the midwest there isn't much talent there. Before you ask where the east coast talent is point out new school rappers from other regions that are actually talented. The east got ? like cole who even though hes from north carolina needed NYC do do what he needed to do. Also you got meek from phili killing the mixtape game and you got wale doing better than many rappers from the deep south.

As Far as a new yorker coming up that is hard because everyone is new york is using most of the same gunplay freestyle smack dvd type rapping and can't craft complete songs. Even a state up in CT everyone is trying to either copy the swag movement or mimmic the 2000's nyc club rap instead of learning to be lyricist that happens to have good songs.

West got Odd Future mov't, Black Hippy mov't, Fashawn, YG, Tyga, Dom Kennedy, Pac Div etc
    South got countless rappers
    Midwest got prolly the most talent with Stalley, Big Sean, Jon Conner, Freddie Gibbs, Lupe Fiasco, Cudi, Chip tha Ripper, MGK, XV etc.

But the biggest thing about all these rappers is they aint ? outside of their region and some aren't even respected by their region.

West: The only rapper out of the west with an album release was tyga and that flopped...and the rest of those rappers don't have a buzz outside the west. I ? with dom kennedy...most my ? out here in the east couldn't tell you who that is.

South: Be specific name 5 of the biggest names from there

Midwest: Jon Connor is the most slept on rapper in the game right now but again even with his past 2 fire mixtapes he still hasn't come close to being big even in the midwest. And exclude lupe hes not the new school anymore. The rest of them ? against regional popularity go to other regions and they aint ? .

My point being there are allot of regionally big rappers but none of them can get major buzz nation wide. And to get major buzz nationwide many of theses clowns have to have a gimmick like tyga which still didn't get him far as his first album flopped and his second one did lackluster sales wise.

Every region needs more complete rappers that not only have lyrical ability but have a albums that get ? from every corner of the country really big into them. There are no more TI's or Kanyes or Tupac's or Jay-Z's that transcend regional popularity and appreciation anymore. This needs to change.

true but the fact that i live on the east coast and know and here more of thier music than i would here from an up coming artist who lives on the east like Maino or lets say Fred the Godson ... says something .... Meek Mills def right now is probably the only east coast artist that is getting a buzz else were .... and a buzz doenst always = people liking your music .... i dont like alot of the music rick ross and future make ... however i stay hearing thier music everywhere i go = Buzz ....... i hear that i beat it up up up up ? everwhere i go that west coast music = BUZZ .............. i may not hear any music from him but i constantly hear his name everwhere Kendrick lamar = BUZZZZZZZZ .... altho tyga flopped his music is buzzin like crazy too ..... etc.... i can go on forever if u dont get where im going .. theres no needs on typing any more lol ;)

• antarticp
    edited March 2012
    Asap Rocky, Some of Brick Squad,French Montana, Smoke Dza,Vado,Action Brunson,Roc Maciano Aziela Banks , Nicki Minaj Drake(who has a more east coast ) Meek Mill, East Coast got some motherfuckas on every level so why are yall complaining

nicki been doing it .... the only person you really got there is Rocky .... anyone can get mentioned and get thier name heard ... but its about elevations and consistency ...... ie Papoose ... he may have consitently dropped ? but he never elevated and ? he actually took a few steps back ... we are looking for more east coast folks to go the Nicki route ... maybe not blow up as much as nicki did ... but alteast be 106nPark count down worthy .... BET hip hop awards worthy ... its not and end all be all ... but it would be nice to see some representation ya know ....... Meek is def on his way ... hes a prime example ... but i feel hes the only one ... and its still early in the game to see WHERE HE GOES ... we been here before even with guys like papoose ....altho i def dont want to compare the two .... meek looks like hes gonna take off .... but if u ask me hes all alone ......... with the exception of 1 guy you forgot to mention and thats French montana .... but with the rise of guys like meek we could see more east coast dudes follow ..... im just hoping we dont waka flocka the ? and everyone is biting off meeks sound and swag to get on .....

and side note WHAT THE ? IS UP WITH VADO !!!!! thats my fave east coast artist !!!!!!!! he did his thing but hes been quite lately ???????????????????? he def was promising could def add to what meek is building and could come in right behind him ... ? if vado keeped it consistent he could be riding right along side him if not above him ..... vado sleepin right now and thats my dude right there .... wtf is going on do i gotta call Camron Giles lol ;)

• Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every Bar fits her like a young jew.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Haha ? off you Texas ? . You mad!

You're dumber than I thought if you think Houston ? just started rapping in 05'. ? talking bout "all y'all got is scarface". Dumb ? ...
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every Bar fits her like a young jew.

lol...
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    As someone who's lived on the east his whole life pretty much, I will explain the delimma. It's not that there isn't any talent coming out East. We are the Mecca of Hip Hop, we will always have talent. The fact is the bar and standard set is very high that it's very diffcult for up and coming emcee espeically from New York. The Old Guard has not given up it's spot. Jay Z is still relevent, NaS also. Even in Death Biggie is very relevent. So the talent is handicap by expectations from all the classic material created. The South, Nor Midwest have those types of expectations so anyone can come out.

The West does have those expecatations cause of how much legendary material came from Dre, Snoop, N.W.A. etc. I'm not saying the South nor Midwest had legendary material cause they did but the East and West set the bar and for new artist, it's very high to reach. If I'm a rappper in New York, I'm instantly going to be compared or matched up with Biggie, Jay Z and NaS so before I can even come out I got strikes against me. It's about Standards and on the East, it's a very high standard.
  • Michael_Malice
    @Genstasia

I used to that it was wack but that was back when we had our "The G in Lasagna is Not Silent" Beef. It grew on me. I ? with you now baby girl. Get money. Mula Krazy.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    As someone who's lived on the east his whole life pretty much, I will explain the delimma. It's not that there isn't any talent coming out East. We are the Mecca of Hip Hop, we will always have talent. The fact is the bar and standard set is very high that it's very diffcult for up and coming emcee espeically from New York. The Old Guard has not given up it's spot. Jay Z is still relevent, NaS also. Even in Death Biggie is very relevent. So the talent is handicap by expectations from all the classic material created. The South, Nor Midwest have those types of expectations so anyone can come out.

The West does have those expecatations cause of how much legendary material came from Dre, Snoop, N.W.A. etc. I'm not saying the South nor Midwest had legendary material cause they did but the East and West set the bar and for new artist, it's very high to reach. If I'm a rappper in New York, I'm instantly going to be compared or matched up with Biggie, Jay Z and NaS so before I can even come out I got strikes against me. It's about Standards and on the East, it's a very high standard.

This right here....just cause the south got low standards of MC's and lyrical talent doesnt mean the East Coast has to have them as well.
  • Michael_Malice
    edited March 2012
    They say What goes around comes back around again (Shout out to Puba), but not in the case of this rap ? . The South got the rap game in a rear naked choke and ain't ever releasing that ? . Beeleedat.
  • rapmastermind
    They say What goes around comes back around again (Shout out to Puba), but not in the case of this rap ? . The South got the rap game in a rear naked choke and ain't ever releasing that ? . Beeleedat.

False, It's not about regions anymore. It's about brands. Jay Z outsold many artist from the south by himself. Eminem and KanYe are both midwest and outsold many southern artist. You have to have a brand to move units in Hip Hop now. Region is out the window in this era.
  • Michael_Malice
    @IntellectualViolence

I B U playboi. I just beg to differ. The South is the foundation holding this rap ? together. Hell it took a ? from the South to single-handedly save Hip Hop.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    co-sign mastermind's 2 posts
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nujerz84 wrote: »

This right here....just cause the south got low standards of MC's and lyrical talent doesnt mean the East Coast has to have them as well.

Granted but NY is like a Family where the Father is a Brain Surgeon who expects all his kids to be Brain Surgeons. Can someone be a pediatrician? A Vet? A Lawyer? A Politician?
  • antarticp
    edited March 2012

i sort of agree ... its sort of the old regime still holding on to that spot ... but then again this is a game of chess ... the jigga door or the nas door ... aint the only ways in ... like jada said sometimes u gotta go south paw ... look @ french and Meek Mills ...... imo alot of east rappers ... can rap they ass off ... but as far as strategizing and planning a way to use that skill to take over the game they seriously fail @ ... most are still using the old forumla which is my talent = i should be signed ........... today most labels and industry folk are looking for guys who are ready to wake up everyday and get some ? accomplished !! work ethic etc...!!!!! dudes be on some ? where they think thier to dope to do a morning show on radio .... or too dope to do recorrds with other artist "of respect" etc......

these other guys that are getting on may not be the best lyricaly ... but work ethic wise and showing that your there to work and be a team player is whats really helping these guys shine ...

• antarticp
    nujerz84 wrote: »

Granted but NY is like a Family where the Father is a Brain Surgeon who expects all his kids to be Brain Surgeons. Can someone be a pediatrician? A Vet? A Lawyer? A Politician?

they can and they are just look @ the ny artist that are shining right now like Red Cafe, asap, French MOntana, Fred Da Godson .... none of these dudes can even touch jayz, big or nas ect.... lyrically ... but they shinning getting deals and grinding and touring all over the place etc........

its just ny artist gotta stop being scared to be themselves and grind it out ... work hard put in some indy work if need be and dont rely so much on the next man to blow you up ... be your own man and any real dude will respect that 10x more than trying to be someones step child ...................................................... and @ the end of the day if u cant get in one way try a different route ... if that aint working try another .... use your head ... plan strategize ........ only rely on your talent when it comes to the music ..... rely on your hustle when its time to get the music out .... heavy hustle and great music = unstoppable .......

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    One thing I will say about the east coast roster right now they is no potential "greats" in that list that people can really get behind. They is no Nas type Jay-Z type rapper in that list. No undeniable cats on y'all side for real.

Is there anywhere tho? The West would say Kendrick Lamar but would u say that his album will be better than AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted? The South would say Big Krit but will his album be better than UGK's Ridin ? or Outkast's Aquemini? And is anybody from the Midwest will have a album better than College Drop out? NY standard is just ridiculous.... And it's never going to be met TBH

Kendrick can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope
    Krit can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope
    Freddie Gibbs can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope you get what i'm saying. NY ain't really got that right now.

I'm pretty sure Fred da godson is considered dope now and he would have been considered dope in the 90's

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    One thing I will say about the east coast roster right now they is no potential "greats" in that list that people can really get behind. They is no Nas type Jay-Z type rapper in that list. No undeniable cats on y'all side for real.

Is there anywhere tho? The West would say Kendrick Lamar but would u say that his album will be better than AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted? The South would say Big Krit but will his album be better than UGK's Ridin ? or Outkast's Aquemini? And is anybody from the Midwest will have a album better than College Drop out? NY standard is just ridiculous.... And it's never going to be met TBH

Freddie Gibbs can be dropped in any era in rap and be considered dope you get what i'm saying. NY ain't really got that right now.

I'm pretty sure Fred da godson is considered dope now and he would have been considered dope in the 90's

Nah Fred da godson is like a jr. in a lot ways . He can't compete with the same dudes that use that style .
  • Gen. Stasia

Nah Fred da godson is like a jr. in a lot ways . He can't compete with the same dudes that use that style .

Lyrically Fred Da Godson is NICE the only place where he may fall short is song making ability. But Krit is also a JR in terms of using somebody else's style. He aint quite ? C stylistically and he damn sure aint Andre 3000 Lyrically.
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2012
    Also even though a lot of hip hop heads like myself in NY don't want to claim her, Nicki is from NYC and one of the biggest stars in hip hop right now. No matter what, NYC always had a dominate act in every era of Hip Hop History and is the only region that can say that.
  • MC The Rapper

Lyrically Fred Da Godson is NICE the only place where he may fall short is song making ability. But Krit is also a JR in terms of using somebody else's style. He aint quite ? C stylistically and he damn sure aint Andre 3000 Lyrically.

nah krit is like outkast and organized noise put together.

Fred Da Godson is polite , he isn't nice and not one person outside of jamaica mentioned dude. No support , no buzz
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    He just started it takes time for artists to blow up. He's touring and dropping mixtapes. It took meek millz awhile to blow up.
  • MC The Rapper
    He just started it takes time for artists to blow up. He's touring and dropping mixtapes. It took meek millz awhile to blow up.

dude was out before asap rocky and i think a few others but no one is checking for kid
  • Gen. Stasia

Fred Da Godson is polite , he isn't nice and not one person outside of jamaica mentioned dude. No support , no buzz

Krit sounds just like ? C when he raps thats part of the reason why i like him. Production wise? Yea he's more so Outkast/Organize Noise influenced but straight rapping he's a Poetic ? C.... Not sayin ? C wasnt poetic in his own right but u get what i mean..
  • MC The Rapper

Krit sounds just like ? C when he raps thats part of the reason why i like him. Production wise? Yea he's more so Outkast/Organize Noise influenced but straight rapping he's a Poetic ? C.... Not sayin ? C wasnt poetic in his own right but u get what i mean..

nah not at all how long have you been listening to ugk cause them dudes sound nothing alike