Kendrick Lamar - ‘The Recipe’ (Produced By Dr. Dre) - [1st Single]

Comments

• Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    picture of a recording session with Dre leaked on the internet = track is never coming out
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjlFqgRbICY

When Dr. Dre produces anything close to this for Kendrick then maybe I'll change my mind; Kendrick's already been working with some of the best producers, period.

Like I said earlier, I hope the switch of labels doesn't eradicate his use of said producers.

When it drops, I got my fingers crossed, though.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »

When Dr. Dre produces anything close to this for Kendrick then maybe I'll change my mind; Kendrick's already been working with some of the best producers, period.

Like I said earlier, I hope the switch of labels doesn't eradicate his use of said producers.

ill say this.....kendrick is not a difficult guy to produce for
  • RuffDraft
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »

If you've listened to the Kendrick Lamar EP, then you'll understand Kendrick's sound and angle. He really didn't sound great over 'The City' with Game, although he completely ripped it (sounded better acapella though).

I'll say this, out of Dr. Dre's catalogue, he hasn't produced anything that is similar to the sounds that Kendrick Lamar has been using. It'll be a change of sound for Kendrick and may not be as refreshing to listen to, IMO.

Kendrick's great for his varying styles and sombre-written raps, it'll be interesting to see what Dr. Dre has done for him... 'cos I can't remember the last Dre beat that resonated with me in recent years...
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012

Kendrick already said that he's starting out with the people he's been ? with and keeping it in house and then branching out. Dre might be producing the single but dudes like sounwave will be seen a lot on the album. I do agree w/ you though, his production has been great.
  • RuffDraft

Kendrick already said that he's starting out with the people he's been ? with and keeping it in house and then branching out. Dre might be producing the single but dudes like sounwave will be seen a lot on the album. I do agree w/ you though, his production has been great.

Got a link to where he's said this? Props on the info :tu
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/03/video-kendrick-lamar-talks-his-new-album-top-dawgs-deal-with-interscope
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you've listened to the Kendrick Lamar EP, then you'll understand Kendrick's sound and angle. He really didn't sound great over 'The City' with Game, although he completely ripped it (sounded better acapella though).

I'll say this, out of Dr. Dre's catalogue, he hasn't produced anything that is similar to the sounds that Kendrick Lamar has been using. It'll be a change of sound for Kendrick and may not be as refreshing to listen to, IMO.

Kendrick's great for his varying styles and sombre-written raps, it'll be interesting to see what Dr. Dre has done for him... 'cos I can't remember the last Dre beat that resonated with me in recent years...

I personally thought he sounded great on the city ... But regardless I think your making my point by saying he still killed it ...often his lyrical talents outshine beats ... Hence him not being a hard guy to produce for
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    @GEE I think the guests will be Black hippy, Dom P, Gunplay, Nipsey, Goapele & Game.

Why do you think this line-up? Did you mean Dom Kennedy? You honestly don't think any of the Eminem collabs will make it? The tracks with Andre 3K? The tracks with J Cole? No Drake collab? Will there be solo songs with each member of Black Hippy as they have tended to be doing or will it be a posse cut?

ca21 wrote: »
    picture of a recording session with Dre leaked on the internet = track is never coming out

TDE is handling the mastering of the track. Dude Dawg tweeted that a couple of days ago. Aftermath/Interscope is not. I have explained in other posts how Dre runs a leaky studio and leaves it unattended with random people in there who know somebody who knows him and steal music. TDE knows this. I was told all of the "leaks" off Detox were not singles being tested, they were lifted off of Dre's computer and actually leaked. TDE does not turn a blind eye to that bro.

http://www.complex.com/music/2012/03/video-kendrick-lamar-talks-his-new-album-top-dawgs-deal-with-interscope

He is still working with Digi+Phonix (In-house TDE production) like he has been since it was just Sounwave and 4th Quarter. Now, with it over the last couple of years being Sounwave,Willie B, and Taebeast they are three of the best producers out. They just happen to be in-house. The question is what songs will make it? I mean he has been working with Dr.Dre, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Pharell, Hit-Boy and other producers that have not been confirmed. Maybe a DJ Premier beat (if that happens it was all me who did that in terms of connecting Premo to TDE) They have always had producers outside of their camp on all of their projects. Just instead of Tommy black you have Just Blaze. The question is which tracks make it? Dig+Phonix doesn't take up the budget like a Dre, Just Blaze, Pharell would. So it would be best for use of money to use their records. As far as the best songs, I expect some of their in-house producers to make it, I mean, TDE has more say than people realize. They just have to have agreed upon songs with Interscope.

• yeah i rap so don't
    For the record, I have not asked who he has been in the studio with production or collab wise, I have not asked how far the album is, I have not asked to hear any songs off of it, I have not asked who will make the cut because I am not in their camp and I have no right to know and I like a surprise.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Who exactly are u?
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    @GEE I think the guests will be Black hippy, Dom P, Gunplay, Nipsey, Goapele & Game.

Why do you think this line-up? Did you mean Dom Kennedy? You honestly don't think any of the Eminem collabs will make it? The tracks with Andre 3K? The tracks with J Cole? No Drake collab? Will there be solo songs with each member of Black Hippy as they have tended to be doing or will it be a posse cut?

TDE is handling the mastering of the track. Dude Dawg tweeted that a couple of days ago. Aftermath/Interscope is not. I have explained in other posts how Dre runs a leaky studio and leaves it unattended with random people in there who know somebody who knows him and steal music. TDE knows this. I was told all of the "leaks" off Detox were not singles being tested, they were lifted off of Dre's computer and actually leaked. TDE does not turn a blind eye to that bro.

He is still working with Digi+Phonix (In-house TDE production) like he has been since it was just Sounwave and 4th Quarter. Now, with it over the last couple of years being Sounwave,Willie B, and Taebeast they are three of the best producers out. They just happen to be in-house. The question is what songs will make it? I mean he has been working with Dr.Dre, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Pharell, Hit-Boy and other producers that have not been confirmed. Maybe a DJ Premier beat (if that happens it was all me who did that in terms of connecting Premo to TDE) They have always had producers outside of their camp on all of their projects. Just instead of Tommy black you have Just Blaze. The question is which tracks make it? Dig+Phonix doesn't take up the budget like a Dre, Just Blaze, Pharell would. So it would be best for use of money to use their records. As far as the best songs, I expect some of their in-house producers to make it, I mean, TDE has more say than people realize. They just have to have agreed upon songs with Interscope.

So basically what you saying is unlike a lot of these labels/rappers TDE really wasn't bullshitin when they said they're still handling most of the creative process? No disrespect to pharell but I'm not CRAZY HYPED about a pharell/lamar track. Out of all the "big names" I'm looking forward to a Just Blaze beat the most because I think he will cater to lamars strengths..

• yeah i rap so don't
    Who exactly are u?

A regular guy who grew up with Moosa, lived two blocks away from Dude Dawg 3rd-6th grade, went to high school with Ab-Soul and has Punch as one of my mentors (I told him he was and he laughed about it) I am just a regular person. I am not the only person who knows people in camps bro, I just happen to post on this site.

So basically what you saying is unlike a lot of these labels/rappers TDE really wasn't bullshitin when they said they're still handling most of the creative process? No disrespect to pharell but I'm not CRAZY HYPED about a pharell/lamar track. Out of all the "big names" I'm looking forward to a Just Blaze beat the most because I think he will cater to lamars strengths..

I mean dealing with a major they basically have to agree on every song anyway. It is not more power, I mean Kendrick can make songs with whoever. The songs have to be agreed on by Interscope. They are not telling him who to do songs with and who not to like they do some artists, but they still have to sit in a room with Interscope and play the records and agree which make the final cut like anybody on a major does. It will be more than just TDE selecting the songs like in the past. Before it was just Dude Dawg, Punch, Dj Dave really selecting songs with the artists input, now they got to get a thumbs up from Iovine, Dre and their team. Pharell is a genuine fan of the guy. There is actually video of them in the studio where he is talking to him about Section 80. He liked the Jazz sounds on the album. He has a pulse on Kendrick's style. If they want to package him a certain way will determine what makes it. I mean Jay Rock's album had a bunch of Big Names from the Warner Brothers budget days (I know you don't like Jay Rock but it is the same company and Jay Rock had a budget to get big names and they used the big names) I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1-3 Digi-Phonix tracks on there. They really want to get Premo on the album too.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    Who exactly are u?

A regular guy who grew up with Moosa, lived two blocks away from Dude Dawg 3rd-6th grade, went to high school with Ab-Soul and has Punch as one of my mentors (I told him he was and he laughed about it) I am just a regular person. I am not the only person who knows people in camps bro, I just happen to post on this site.

I mean dealing with a major they basically have to agree on every song anyway. It is not more power, I mean Kendrick can make songs with whoever. The songs have to be agreed on by Interscope. They are not telling him who to do songs with and who not to like they do some artists, but they still have to sit in a room with Interscope and play the records and agree which make the final cut like anybody on a major does. It will be more than just TDE selecting the songs like in the past. Before it was just Dude Dawg, Punch, Dj Dave really selecting songs with the artists input, now they got to get a thumbs up from Iovine, Dre and their team. Pharell is a genuine fan of the guy. There is actually video of them in the studio where he is talking to him about Section 80. He liked the Jazz sounds on the album. He has a pulse on Kendrick's style. If they want to package him a certain way will determine what makes it. I mean Jay Rock's album had a bunch of Big Names from the Warner Brothers budget days (I know you don't like Jay Rock but it is the same company and Jay Rock had a budget to get big names and they used the big names) I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1-3 Digi-Phonix tracks on there. They really want to get Premo on the album too.

Yea I remember that vid where pharell was talking about how much he was bumpin it in tokyo or wherever the ? he was. Good looks on the insight/info...
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012

Props :tu I'll have a read now…
    I personally thought he sounded great on the city ... But regardless I think your making my point by saying he still killed it ...often his lyrical talents outshine beats ... Hence him not being a hard guy to produce for

You really enjoyed him over that type of beat??? I agree that he outshines beats, he attacks it and dismantles it with no problem, but I really didn't think it was nice. It makes him become something else, more redundant and if he never went off at the end of the track, it'd be a sub-par Kendrick Lamar song - even if he really shone.

The point of him being easy to produce for is a valid one; but you don't want an artist as talented as he is outshining any beats. The producer's got to bring it!

I fear that the expensive producers will get the nod though and that will likely make his albums less cohesive - a great shame. However, if TDE have really got so much say as you/they think/say they have… then it's not as much of a negative to have an extensive list of could-be producers.

Not to say that those producers aren't amazing but like you say, with his past-producers being in-house, they have a similar sound - it's why The Kendrick Lamar EP became one of the best releases of 2009. The beats and the lyrics were part of a powerful nostalgic/honest movement.

The problem - I assume I'm right in saying this - with working with expensive big-name producers is that they'll be paid from working with the artist - they're still going to get paid whether a beat is used or left out and I'm assuming if you're spending money on having those producers then you're not going to waste the money and leave the cut out of the album.
    *I may be wrong in saying this though*

I'm not crazy hyped about many of the said producers working with him either… like I say, I think the people he already records with are better at producing for Kendrick than others, although J. Cole did a great job along with some others…

Either way, it's great that the music seems to be moving… he's still active and hopefully we'll get that album this year… after all, we just want the music.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    It really comes down to what happened Ruff. My boy who is a producer has a cousin who is an in-house producer at Def Jam. I remember he had to wait to get his money because the Shyne deal ? up everybody's budget at the time. Depends on what is agreed upon. If you independently set it up, they may work with you and agree on a high number of points on your album. They may charge a bigger free up front. You may get the record done, get a placement on the album, and some producers might not even get paid (IE Cash Money) so it really depends. You could just be in the studio and literally someone could be int he studio next to you and work with you and you present the songs to whoever you are signed to and it gets placed. Depends on what the situation is. A lot of artists don't like to talk about that while making records esp if studio time is being paid for. More people know Pharall than Taebeast. More people know Just Blaze than Willie B. More people know Dr.Dre than Sounwave. If they want to play a name game. If they want to play the best songs...then it is an even-playing field. They may have already paid for the beats and do not want to waste their money.
  • RuffDraft
    It really comes down to what happened Ruff. My boy who is a producer has a cousin who is an in-house producer at Def Jam. I remember he had to wait to get his money because the Shyne deal ? up everybody's budget at the time. Depends on what is agreed upon. If you independently set it up, they may work with you and agree on a high number of points on your album. They may charge a bigger free up front. You may get the record done, get a placement on the album, and some producers might not even get paid (IE Cash Money) so it really depends. You could just be in the studio and literally someone could be int he studio next to you and work with you and you present the songs to whoever you are signed to and it gets placed. Depends on what the situation is. A lot of artists don't like to talk about that while making records esp if studio time is being paid for. More people know Pharall than Taebeast. More people know Just Blaze than Willie B. More people know Dr.Dre than Sounwave. If they want to play a name game. If they want to play the best songs...then it is an even-playing field. They may have already paid for the beats and do not want to waste their money.

Yeah, I can see that fees and business is less obvious when creating…

I'd like that to be broken down by artists on Major labels, would be an interesting read. But it's unreal to think that you wouldn't get anything even if you're on the album.

Looking forward to hearing the new stuff though… at least then we can debate on facts rather than 'what ifs'.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone claims they heard it and it has some pop influence in it.

Rule #1 They gonna hate you no matter what you do.

By the way, I have never heard anything that made me a Kendrick fan maybe Monday that changes.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited March 2012

Yeah, I can see that fees and business is less obvious when creating…

I'd like that to be broken down by artists on Major labels, would be an interesting read. But it's unreal to think that you wouldn't get anything even if you're on the album.

Looking forward to hearing the new stuff though… at least then we can debate on facts rather than 'what ifs'.

Bangledesh was saying he didn't get paid for the "A Milli" beat for the longest. The same claims others have said about Cash Money. Some beats are sold to the record labels themselves and they decide who it goes to. I mean, it is pretty well known that on Aftermath they have beats by Dre and other producers and whoever they feel makes the best song with it keeps the record. That is why the beat for"I Still ? " ended up on 50's album when Bishop Lamont was going to have it on his album. Makes it more competitive for the roster.The most successful artists under Dre recently have been Eminem, 50, The Game. Em and 50 had a lot of their project done before they met Dre. Game was a nobody with no buzz who got signed, so his whole sound was manufactured by his time there. Kendrick has build a following and even has a sound. So who knows.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    GSonII wrote: »
    Someone claims they heard it and it has some pop influence in it.

Rule #1 They gonna hate you no matter what you do.

By the way, I have never heard anything that made me a Kendrick fan maybe Monday that changes.

Lol. True, I call ducktails on whoever said they'd heard it though.
    Bangledesh was saying he didn't get paid for the "A Milli" beat for the longest. The same claims others have said about Cash Money. Some beats are sold to the record labels themselves and they decide who it goes to. I mean, it is pretty well known that on Aftermath they have beats by Dre and other producers and whoever they feel makes the best song with it keeps the record. That is why the beat for"I Still ? " ended up on 50's album when Bishop Lamont was going to have it on his album. Makes it more competitive for the roster.The most successful artists under Dre recently have been Eminem, 50, The Game. Em and 50 had a lot of their project done before they met Dre. Game was a nobody with no buzz who got signed, so his whole sound was manufactured by his time there. Kendrick has build a following and even has a sound. So who knows.

True, props on the info. Looking forward to Monday.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would not mind Kendrick on Neptunes tracks at all, nor Dre tracks
  • will blax
    will blax Members Posts: 539 ✭✭
    it won't live up to the hype. I'm looking forward to it though

http://youtu.be/-tV7pFQPldo
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Who exactly are u?

No doubt, just curious.
  • D.Original
    D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
    i hope dre let kendrick do kendrick in the studio and not the same ? he did to rakim. but theres potential for a classic. on a side note is good to see schoolboy q startin to get some shine.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill check for this for the beat.